Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Subnautica (Mac/PC)- This sandbox game is pretty cool, compelling, and pretty too! :) Crash land on an alien water planet and survive in the Ocean. Most fun when allowing Survival Mode. Crafting is fairly simple. It may seem tedious at first collecting fish to eat and finding very small salt deposits along with plentiful coral samples to make bleach, do desalinate your drinking water. This is an early access game. As far as I know, there is currently no multiplayer if you are wondering about the two divers shown below. Normally $19, was on sale for $15 a week or so ago.

Tips:
1. Go grab the slower fish, bring them back and cook them in the fabricator. You can grab multiple fish, and they go into your inventory. After they are cooked, they go back into your inventory and must be eaten fairly soon or they rot. Don't eat rotten fish. Later in the game when salt becomes more plentiful, you can dry your fish (whatever it's called) and it won't spoil.
2. Bring back junk metal salvage and process them in the fabricator to get two titanium and make a knife. Use the knife (right click to strike) the edges of coral to harvest coral samples. You'll see little slices of coral going down (into your inventory, access with Tab). With that and very small cubes of salt, found usually in or near the plant growth to make bleach to desalinate water in the fabricator. The salt is the biggest pain in the butt, until you get a base and build water processors.
3. The stalkers, alligator gar/barracuda like fish, normally found at lower depths in the starter zone are aggressive and deadly. When swimming around always be holding a fish in your hand. Instead of attacking you, the Stalker, will take it from your hand and usually becomes your semi-buddy, bringing you pieces of junk metal.
4. Because there is currently no death penalty, don't worry about dying, you'll just respawn.
5. Play this game!!! :D

KelpForestSmall.jpg

subnautica_habitat_prerelease4.jpg

Minimum:
  • Processor: Intel Haswell 2 cores / 4 threads @ 2.5Ghz or equivalent.
  • Graphics: Intel HD 4600 or equivalent.
  • Storage: 6 GB available space.
  • Additional Notes: Subnautica is an Early Access game, and minimum specifications may change during development.
PC Requirements:
  • Minimum CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor G640 2.8 GHz / OR / AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200
  • RAM: 2 GB
  • Video Card:Video Card: (256) MB RADEON HD 3450 / BFG GeForce 7800 GS OC (256) MB
  • Direct X 11 compatible
  • Sound Card: YAS
  • Free Disk Space:6 GB
* Note- I'm playing this on W10, no issues. The above was probably released before W10 came out.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If anyone is playing, looking for advice on how to dive deep enough in the Grand Reef, to look for Moon Pool fragments in a Seamoth sub. I need the Moon Pool to upgrade the Seamoth's depth abilities so it's a circular problem. Can Moon Pool fragments be found any where else? Thanks!
icon_smile.gif

20150908_SN_SeamothUpdate_Header_169_Small1-618x348.jpg

Seamoth

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Here is a Quick Reference Guide that represents the first 20 hrs in game. I have a base, a Seamoth (sub), and a Moon Pool used to dock the sub. Just installed a pressure compensator to allow the sub to dive to approx 400 meters.

Error in guide: A Moon Pool is not required to build the Seamoth.

If anyone is playing, looking for advice on how to dive deep enough in the Grand Reef, to look for Moon Pool fragments in a Seamoth sub. I need the Moon Pool to upgrade the Seamoth's depth abilities so it's a circular problem. Can Moon Pool fragments be found any where else? Thanks!
icon_smile.gif

Seamoth

You can take the standard Seamoth (not upgraded with a pressure compensator) down to a a max of 225 meters (Be Careful!) At that point you can get out and with a Oxygen Rebreather and an upgraded tank you have about 75 seconds to dive down to about 275 meters to find lots of them scattered around. Best to go during the day the first time so you can see what is what. :):)

Reactions: DesertSurfer

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
icon_smile.gif

Seamoth

More info... (cause I'm traveling, can't really play and am missing it) :p
I sorted this out about a week ago. I ran into a couple diving situations where the glass on my goggles appeared to crack, making me think I had a personal depth limit. I have no idea what happened in those situations but I don't now think it was depth, but still I have no idea what actually caused it.

I've retrieved a Moonpool fragment. This is required to research Moon Pool technology. I drove my Seamoth past the Floating Island to the Grand Reef whose depth I've seen is about 250M and greater. You should have an upgraded plasteel tank and a rebreather to give you enough time to function at this depth. Without those items I can't say it's impossible, but it will be more difficult.

Before a pressure module fragment is retrieved, your Seamoth crush depth is 225M. I suggest you make you first trip to the Grand Reef in the daytime to get a good idea of the landscape. Be sure to bring an extra powercell which powers the sub.

Once you past the Floating Island (heading away from the original life pod parallel to the rear of the crashed ship) start your steep dive. You'll receive a depth warning around 145M which means if you hit something with speed , it might destroy your Seamoth. Stop around 220M. You should be able to see large rounded projections rising from the reef.

There will be an abundance of fragments laying around. Exit the Seamoth, and dive down, at 250-280M, you should be at a depth were you're able to grab things. Then head back to your Seamoth for air. As a technique, I placed several small storage containers on the Floating Island so I could retrieve more stuff and leave it on the island for later retrieval. I've been to the Grand Reef twice and have not seen any aggressive dangerous creatures at those depths yet, but maybe I've just been lucky. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Subnautica- on sale at steam 30% off $14, ends Jan 4, 2016. How can you go wrong? :):)

Dec 15 Update: Explorable Wreckage.

One aspect of playing pre-release: Dec 2015- Update added new terrain to game. Old save game could be upgraded, but an advisory said the update might not be perfect, and some building (depending on it’s location) might be adversely effected. Developer recommended starting a new game. I decided to start over, mostly based on terrain like what happened in ARK, when they added the new biomes. Some players bases were consumed by terrain. My base was intact, but oddly one of my doors would not work in the base so I started over to avoid any other issues.
[doublepost=1452003551,1450888173][/doublepost]
Subnautica- on sale at steam 30% off $14, ends Jan 4, 2016. How can you go wrong? :):)

Dec 15 Update: Explorable Wreckage.

One aspect of playing pre-release: Dec 2015- Update added new terrain to game. Old save game could be upgraded, but an advisory said the update might not be perfect, and some building (depending on it’s location) might be adversely effected. Developer recommended starting a new game. I decided to start over, mostly based on terrain like what happened in ARK, when they added the new biomes. Some players bases were consumed by terrain. My base was intact, but oddly one of my doors would not work in the base so I started over to avoid any other issues.

... Then I promptly used console cheats to give me the things I had before the update. :p

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
After quite a bit a time off from this game, I've picked it back up. I think one of the draw backs of this early access game, are the updates that basically tell you if you keep playing your established solo game, you won't be able to acess the new zones or features.

The second time I restarted the game, I played in Creatively, giving myself stuff to get back where I left off. This time I'm actually going through the survival motions, but turned hunger and thirst off, which is a real drag in the early part of the game. :)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
After quite a bit a time off from this game, I've picked it back up. I think one of the draw backs of this early access game, are the updates that basically tell you if you keep playing your established solo game, you won't be able to acess the new zones or features.

The second time I restarted the game, I played in Creatively, giving myself stuff to get back where I left off. This time I'm actually going through the survival motions, but turned hunger and thirst off, which is a real drag in the early part of the game. :)

On my wishlist...

Sounds like they added a Creative mode (like in No Man's Sky) where you don't have to worry about survival this and crafting that?

I just like exploring...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
On my wishlist...

Sounds like they added a Creative mode (like in No Man's Sky) where you don't have to worry about survival this and crafting that?

I just like exploring...

Actually they do have a creative mode. When I first played it I wanted the survival aspect because that is the primary driver in the game, exploring to find the items you need. Keeping yourself fed and hydrated is a burden and time consuming until you get the right tech, a machine that desalinates seawater giving you both salt and fresh water.

The second time I played, I wanted to catch up, so I picked survival, but used the console to get me back up to where I was previously.

This time I've chosen partial survival, where you still have to go find stuff, but not food or water. This removes a large burden early in the game. Searching for the basic resources you need is not quite the same thing as finding rocks and wood for building. So exploring has a lot more incentive and more fun to look for the things you need, which can only be found in certain zones vs in a game like ARK or Conan, standing there using a pick all day gathering rock or chopping wood.

However, if they come out with another update that requires me to start over, I'll be pissed again and probably take another vacation from the game. It is a beautiful game though.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Five years later: Is it out of beta? :)

When I played it (during beta) they kept coming out with updates that broke saves, as far as being able to access new areas. I ended up quitting because of them, but I enjoyed the environment even if there were some build mechanics (structures breaking after being built) that annoyed me. I’d like to return and try it again. The question for myself is if I’ll be able to tolerate the grind to get back where I left off, or if I’ll fast track myself to a point where I had a substantial base and a submarine.

Question: Has the base structures been expanded into something more diverse? I’ll research.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I’d love to play it, but unfortunately, they haven’t show any love for GOG. :(

Maybe once the development is complete. Apparently, there is an expansion coming out, so it is still in active development.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.