Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nebulosan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2021
Hi, anyone else on iOS 14.8.1 that noticed the iOS 15 update left its place in the bottom of the screen and now shows up as a "normal" update? The text about being up-to-date on 14.8.1 is gone. The change happened today, a couple of hours ago.

(I have automatic install and download of updates disabled)

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
It looks like they've swapped places:

59E555E9-AC06-40F9-BC03-402E2A76844D.png

This is on 14.8.

Reactions: nortonandreev

nebulosan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2021
Urgh, the dreaded red dot started appearing for me too

For those using a DNS-level ad/tracker blocker service like NextDNS, I found this list of domains on Reddit that blocks system updates but keep app updates working:

Code:
mesu.apple.com
appldnld.apple.com
swscan.apple.com
xp.apple.com
gdmf.apple.com

Before blocking, I initiated the iOS 15.1 update, then went to Settings > General > iPhone storage and deleted the iOS update from there. With the red dot gone, I turned on blocking of above domains and things seem to work so far.

I really hope there is some backlash about this

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
ios15 adoption must be really slow...that or they just flat out lied in the first place about supporting ios14.
It was never meant to last. Perhaps they wanted to reduce the backlash on iOS 15 bugs and the upcoming CSAM. My guess is that they will stop supporting 14 within months, likely after flipping the switch on CSAM first.

kwijbo

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2012
It was never meant to last. Perhaps they wanted to reduce the backlash on iOS 15 bugs and the upcoming CSAM. My guess is that they will stop supporting 14 within months, likely after flipping the switch on CSAM first.
sadly you're probably right. that might be just the catalyst I need.

Reactions: fastbagger

nicolaselhani

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2015
was just coming on here to report the same thing on my iPadOS 14. How can they proudly announce a feature and then quietly revert that feature when the hype dies out. Hope macrumors or 9to5 or appleinsider picks this up.

Upgraded to iPadOS 15 and was terrible, downgraded before they stopped signing iPadOS 14 and was happy knowing I'd never get the damn red dot notification, now this. ridiculous.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
this is a huge scandal and everyone is missing it. why isn't this on the front page?
not sure it is a scandal, it is how apple usually operates...but it pisses me off though with all the performance issues I read on here about 15, I want to stay away from it as long as I can even with my 2021 ipad pro. Perfectly happy on iOS 14.8.1 on all my devices

ZipZilla

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2003
not sure it is a scandal, it is how apple usually operates...but it pisses me off though with all the performance issues I read on here about 15, I want to stay away from it as long as I can even with my 2021 ipad pro. Perfectly happy on iOS 14.8.1 on all my devices
it was announced as a big deal that people would be allowed to keep ios 14, Tim going back on that now

Reactions: dave559

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
YES!! Annoying!! Previously, iOS15 was just a "suggested" update way at the bottom. No notification, no badges. Everything was fine.

Now, it appears as a standard OS update, complete with the badge notification. WTF Apple? I feel like they are backtracking their support for iOS14 and now went back to the standard cycle of nudging everyone to upgrade.

Reactions: dave559

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
was just coming on here to report the same thing on my iPadOS 14. How can they proudly announce a feature and then quietly revert that feature when the hype dies out. Hope macrumors or 9to5 or appleinsider picks this up.

Upgraded to iPadOS 15 and was terrible, downgraded before they stopped signing iPadOS 14 and was happy knowing I'd never get the damn red dot notification, now this. ridiculous.

this is a huge scandal and everyone is missing it. why isn't this on the front page?

YES!! Annoying!! Previously, iOS15 was just a "suggested" update way at the bottom. No notification, no badges. Everything was fine.

Now, it appears as a standard OS update, complete with the badge notification. WTF Apple? I feel like they are backtracking their support for iOS14 and now went back to the standard cycle of nudging everyone to upgrade.

They never said you wouldn't get nagged to install iOS 15, just that you'd be able to stay on 14 and still get security updates, which you still can as of now.

It's honestly more surprising that they buried iOS 15 in Settings under a tiny button with no notification or auto-installation possible for this long. I'm sure there are many people who would willingly install 15 if they knew it existed that got caught up in this.

Perhaps Apple should add a purposeful defer option instead of just heavily suppressing or pushing updates.

Reactions: three and javisan

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
Urgh, the dreaded red dot started appearing for me too

For those using a DNS-level ad/tracker blocker service like NextDNS, I found this list of domains on Reddit that blocks system updates but keep app updates working:

Code:
mesu.apple.com
appldnld.apple.com
swscan.apple.com
xp.apple.com
gdmf.apple.com

Before blocking, I initiated the iOS 15.1 update, then went to Settings > General > iPhone storage and deleted the iOS update from there. With the red dot gone, I turned on blocking of above domains and things seem to work so far.

I really hope there is some backlash about this
This seems to work.

You can also create a Shortcut to open the Settings app, and add that to the Home Screen in place of the actual app. It’s not perfect, but it avoids the f—-ing red dot.

Go suck a d—-, Apple.

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
Because MR are a “reputable” news outlet now. Which means they’ve got too much money tied up in the status quo to publish anything critical, however true it may be.

Reactions: javisan

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
If that's the case, they would drop iOS14 support first so everybody unknowingly upgrade to iOS15. Then flip the switch.

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
If you were an ordinary joe you might appreciate being reminded that your software is behind the times. Particularly when as an airpods Pro user you can claim 6 months of free Apple Music. Did exactly that on my iPad.

I think the line from Apple was that they would continue to provide security updates to allow people to move to iOS 15 when they were ready. I am certainly not expecting Apple to support iOS 14 forever. I do hate the red dot on my iPhone though.

ZipZilla

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2003
They never said you wouldn't get nagged to install iOS 15, just that you'd be able to stay on 14 and still get security updates, which you still can as of now.
as it stands now, there is no way to do anything else except install 15.1. Apple has broken its promise and no one is holding them accountable

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
as it stands now, there is no way to do anything else except install 15.1. Apple has broken its promise and no one is holding them accountable
Is this true? If someone on 14.8 or older selects Settings/General/Software Update what options appear? I cannot test this since all my devices are on 14.8.1 or 15.1. Obviously as I am already on 14.8.1 I will only be offered 15.1.

kwijbo

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2012
Is this true? If someone on 14.8 or older selects Settings/General/Software Update what options appear? I cannot test this since all my devices are on 14.8.1 or 15.1. Obviously as I am already on 14.8.1 I will only be offered 15.1.
14.4 here, only 15.1 is offered.

• Angry
Reactions: jseymour
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.