Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imperial926

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2019
My granddaughter is a Fine Art student coming close to graduation. For her, the benefits of using the new iPad Pro for her work are valid. She has not owned an iPad before and the cost of large Wacom tablets has been considered. For sure, most people don't need an iPad Pro but the target group will find it excellent for their needs, I believe.

Reactions: Larsvonhier

JaraCz

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2022
I have the 2021 M1 iPad Pro so this is really not attractive to me for upgrading my perfectly fine existing iPad. But I welcome improvements, maybe in the next generation or two it will finally be good enough for an upgrade. But until then, I’m very happy using my current iPad Pro as a daily driver.
Why do you need to wait for next generation when new iPad Pro skipped one generation (M3) to M4 and is already timeless? Maybe you should wait for M20.

Btw, I have iPad Pro M1 as well and I went for M4

Last edited:

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
There is literally nothing to entice me away from my 11 M1 Pro

And that value proposition goes negative at the prices they are asking. At their price points I would just get an Air, a regular laptop with the much more flexible desktop Mac OS.

The price point is a real downer. I can see an M4 for a first time user and for someone moving on from a 2018 spec or older iPad.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
After some time thinking about it, it pisses me off how much are you missing if you don’t spend 2000€ on the new iPad Pro: you don’t only get 8GB of RAM, which nowadays is just fine but probably not in the future, but you also get a binned M4 with one less performance core. Which could be good for those maximizing efficiency and don’t need all the power, but if we get an M4 chip is for future-proofing. And also you cannot select the nano-texture finish. It’s crazy, they are limiting the base storage iPad Pro so much this time, that you consider getting the 1TB version even if you don’t need as much storage.

I think Apple is going too far, and I should vote with my wallet.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
After some time thinking about it, it pisses me off how much are you missing if you don’t spend 2000€ on the new iPad Pro: you don’t only get 8GB of RAM, which nowadays is just fine but probably not in the future, but you also get a binned M4 with one less performance core. Which could be good for those maximizing efficiency and don’t need all the power, but if we get an M4 chip is for future-proofing. And also you cannot select the nano-texture finish. It’s crazy, they are limiting the base storage iPad Pro so much this time, that you consider getting the 1TB version even if you don’t need as much storage.

What tablet exist that is par for this iPad?

kkee

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2023
Sydney
Use The Comparison Chart on The Apple Website Store, the Old Specs are nearly identical, only a slightly brighter screen, marketing a whole entire M CPU Generation Bump and allegedly twice as fast OMFG!!!!

Camera Megapixels haven't changed at all

Apple wants another $100 - 200 for Nano Texture Glass

Apple didn't say that OLED would burn in versus Mini LED

Apple wants $5,000 for a Monitor and charges $1,000 for a Plastic Stand

Tim Cook: We couldn't be more excited for the greatest iPad ever
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't Waste $2,600 and just stick with your Old mini LED iPad
1715253457622.jpeg

For context, that's almost an exact 1.5x CPU performance boost from a 12.9-inch iPad Pro with M2, which scored 2,590 single core and 10,019 multi core. Another benchmark for iPad16,6 showed up with a 53,792 metal score for the GPU. That's a more modest improvement from the M2 iPad Pro scoring 46,575.

I wouldn’t call this “nearly identical”

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
They need to copy Samsung Dex! Hookup the new iPad Pro to an external display and it turns into MacOS, would be great!
Or at least make the iPad screen turning off when using with an external monitor just like every laptop can do and then it will be interesting. Making the iPad act as a second screen when using on a monitor is just a stupid decision.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Adding macOS is pointless when Apple sells a Mac that runs macOS.

I wonder when Mac users request this... if they seriously stop to think what if they was the CEO, and there's two devices that are successful as a business separately. Both devices make a ridiculously amount of money... are they willing to disrupt that and combine the two. Limiting how much they can profit off the customer.

Because at the end of the day, the role of a CEO is to generate revenue...

Easy. Currently has a better display, touch screen, Apple Pencil and cellular capabilities... at least that's my reason. In addition to that, I like the versatility it provides in terms of tablet transforming into a laptop form factor... something a MBA or MBP is incapable of doing.
That is true, but Samsung also sells computers running ChromeOS and Windows. They also do not present Dex as a "replacement" for these devices as far as I know, just another useful feature. Apple could do the same with iOS by just giving it a desktop layout without literally using macOS.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015

This is typical Apple and I'm against this practice as well. Not everyone needs 1TB of storage, but locking performance and RAM behind that is almost a steal. But honestly, at this price and the current state of the iPad pro, these machines are clearly overpriced for what it actually does. But if someone have the money and want a new toy, that's fine for them, but that's about it.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
This is typical Apple and I'm against this practice as well. Not everyone needs 1TB of storage, but locking performance and RAM behind that is almost a steal. But honestly, at this price and the current state of the iPad pro, these machines are clearly overpriced for what it actually does. But if someone have the money and want a new toy, that's fine for them, but that's about it.
Yes, I’m at a point where if Apple doesn’t literally let me have something very similar to macOS when plugged to an external monitor, and sparing that money into this 1TB iPad Pro, I’m not getting it.

We’ll see what Apple has in store for this big redesign of both iOS and iPadOS. And depending on that, I’ll make my decision.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
There is literally nothing to entice me away from my 11 M1 Pro

And that value proposition goes negative at the prices they are asking. At their price points I would just get an Air, a regular laptop with the much more flexible desktop Mac OS.

The price point is a real downer. I can see an M4 for a first time user and for someone moving on from a 2018 spec or older iPad.
Totally agree. I would rather buy a used M1 or M2 iPad Pro to replace my aging 2018 iPad Pro 12.9" when the time comes and put my money into a 14" Macbook Pro this fall.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
That is true, but Samsung also sells computers running ChromeOS and Windows. They also do not present Dex as a "replacement" for these devices as far as I know, just another useful feature. Apple could do the same with iOS by just giving it a desktop layout without literally using macOS.
But do Samsung combine ChromeOS and Windows into one device? And specifically market it so... as far as I know they sell them separately.

And DeX is not a new operating system... it's more so a different environment (similar to Stage Manager).

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
been using 12.9 Pro since 2019, super heavy and not travel friendly.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Too late, see my signature, have no regrets! Wednesday can not come fast enough.
I'm anxious as well, but I have to wait and see it in hands... before committing to the "sig" lol.

Because as much as I want this new iPad Pro... if there is no wow factor, I could honestly see myself keeping the current M1 iPad Pro (still works great, no issues with it).

Reactions: Jackbequickly

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Why do you need to wait for next generation when new iPad Pro skipped one generation (M3) to M4 and is already timeless? Maybe you should wait for M20.

I’m on M1 as well and I’m not upgrading. The M1 still works perfectly well.

I’ll upgrade when the M1 iPad no longer serves my needs adequately or stops getting firmware updates (probably not M20 but likely between M6 to M10).

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
been using 12.9 Pro since 2019, super heavy and not travel friendly.
What? It's lighter than most computers, great battery life, great screen, compact size when in a keyboard case that easily fits on airplane seat tables. How is it not travel friendly?

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
Whilst I can understand why some people might find your post amusing, the new iPad doesn't do anything new that my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5" can't do for my needs, so I have no intention of spending close to £2000 to get the same storage, a pencil & keyboard cover to replace my current stuff.

Apple can get my money when iPadOS isn't so absolutely useless and purposefully limited on what it can do. Apple might want the iPad to be nothing more than a companion device to the Mac & iPhone, but for the price they are charging, they can forget it.
For you the iPad is a companion device. For many people the iPad can be their primary device.

For many people the Mac is a companion device if they need a dedicated windows machine for work. Mac's aren't inherently unlimited either and the idea that the benchmark for companion vs primary is whether or not it can do everything a Mac can is kind of weird.

Reactions: klasma

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States

Because for many of us, the M1 is perfectly capable and fast and will last us 5-7 years unless Apple fixes iPadOS’ real shortcomings that prevent it from becoming our main computing device and then we will have to reevaluate. I personally don’t need the latest and greatest, but I did want M1 at least to get the benefits of 16GB DRAM, Thunderbolt 3, mini-LED and 5G.

Cirillo Gherardo

Suspended
May 9, 2024
This probably good advice for a lot of people here. DON'T buy a new iPad Pro not understanding what it is, and then come here and endlessly complain about it isn't a Mac.

Reactions: Zdigital2015

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
For you the iPad is a companion device. For many people the iPad can be their primary device.

For many people the Mac is a companion device if they need a dedicated windows machine for work. Mac's aren't inherently unlimited either and the idea that the benchmark for companion vs primary is whether or not it can do everything a Mac can is kind of weird.
Everything with the iPad is a compromise, especially with Desktop apps that have been ported to iPadOS. Even Apple's "Pro" apps have been compromised to get them to work on a mobile platform with a touch interface. At least with a desktop OS things just work as they should as it's not a daft blown up version of phone OS.

Like you say, for some people they are happy with this and seemed thrilled to bits at paying extra for a more cumbersome user experience. For everyone else, they are not happy which is why so many people want macOS on their iPad or a proper optimised-for-iPad Operating System that takes full advantage of the amazing hardware. As it stands with iPadOS 17, it just isn't good enough & purposefully restricts what the iPad can and should be capable of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.