Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsteve

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
… I have a 128GB 15 Pro and yeah my laptop is the 2010 MacBook Pro which can no longer link up with new iPhones to get any data off them. The only way I can move data to that Mac anymore is to literally upload to iCloud and then download from iCloud to the Mac. It’s basically useless due to no more software updates for like 8 years or whatever it’s been now.

Getting off topic but (Im keeping) in mind your laptop is only usb 2.0.…ugh, doesn’t support airdrop from iOS :(

Your best bet for file transfer is probably a cheap 2 in 1 usba usbc thumbdrive.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Fabric cables are going to be stiffer than plastic alone, all things considered.

Last edited:

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Thanks for your reply, I’m actually just wanting to use it for extra storage, not your implementation of the 4K 60 ProRaw video capture. I have a 128GB 15 Pro and yeah my laptop is the 2010 MacBook Pro which can no longer link up with new iPhones to get any data off them. The only way I can move data to that Mac anymore is to literally upload to iCloud and then download from iCloud to the Mac. It’s basically useless due to no more software updates for like 8 years or whatever it’s been now.

Isn’t this drive capable of formatting to APFS? Wouldn’t Apple’s file system be better compression or something? Also, I read some reviewer on Amazon state that they got higher read/write after updating firmware, but maybe they aren’t correct on that.
You can reformat APFS, but works without. You would probably need to do it on someone else’s Mac. Not sure how the firmware would update, but is quite fast out of box.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I know the goal is minimalism, but would there be a need to connect an external mic? I think this is the only other piece of equipment that would need a usb port. I can’t seem to find an ultra compact multiport adapter that would accommodate both this and the drive. Does anyone know of such a thing that would be flush with the bottom of the phone?

Reactions: - rob -

dsteve

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
I know the goal is minimalism, but would there be a need to connect an external mic? I think this is the only other piece of equipment that would need a usb port. I can’t seem to find an ultra compact multiport adapter that would accommodate both this and the drive. Does anyone know of such a thing that would be flush with the bottom of the phone?

Yeah, check out this post, it has a working splitter:

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Good find. Will order that https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BRV4GNSL

I wonder if there is a good wireless USB-C mic system? I’m not sure how big of a mic you need to to get audio superior to the iPhone built in mics. At some point makes sense to buy a dedicated cage like:

My personal goal is to keep it all small enough that I can keep it with me.

Reactions: Kierkegaarden

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Good find. Will order that https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BRV4GNSL

I wonder if there is a good wireless USB-C mic system? I’m not sure how big of a mic you need to to get audio superior to the iPhone built in mics. At some point makes sense to buy a dedicated cage like:

My personal goal is to keep it all small enough that I can keep it with me.
Exactly the same cage I was just looking at. I emailed Moment if they would be updating the cage to accommodate multiple usb c accessories. SmallRig also looks like they are coming out with something later this year.

But as you originally stated, your goal was minimalism — so sorry if I’m hijacking your thread. The main goal is being able to record to external storage, so your solution looks great for that. The mic is secondary — maybe the built in mics are adequate for the project, and maybe the audio could be recorded separately.

At the least, a cage from SmallRig would keep it minimal + it wouldn’t require a case and allow you to hook to a tripod if needed.

MGMatrix

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2023
Love it, exactly what I had in mind when I first heard about it. 👍🏻

Could you test if 4K60 is possible without external storage in the Blackmagic Camera app? I've read somewhere that it is possible and the 4K30 limitation is only in effect in the standart camera app, but it wasn't elaborated on further. Thanks in advance.

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Love it, exactly what I had in mind when I first heard about it. 👍🏻

Could you test if 4K60 is possible without external storage in the Blackmagic Camera app? I've read somewhere that it is possible and the 4K30 limitation is only in effect in the standart camera app, but it wasn't elaborated on further. Thanks in advance.

Yes it is possible, in fact, it is default. Workflow wise is a bit tricky though. Its storage is separate from Photos. They have their own option to upload to Blackmagic cloud either the full video or a proxy of the video. ProRes files huge though.

They do allow you to use h.265 and other codecs instead of ProRes. So that would be one option. Transferring files directly off the iPhone a bit of a pain, but could also be done.

I would say the app is heavily focused on filmmakers. They give you the tools for exposure, white balance, shutter etc. If you are filming a scene, that is great.

Finding I still prefer the Camera app in certain cases though…the white balance and exposure control that Apple does is pretty magical (and yes it is happy to do that in log as well, but there is an option to fix the white balance in Camera settings).

Reactions: MGMatrix

MGMatrix

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2023
Thanks for the reply. I mostly thought about building a rig like yours to capture short clips here and there (like festivals/vacations) and try to get into color grading to cut shirt clips mostly for short social media clips.

The quality that comes out of this little sensor is mind blowing. I can't wait for my PM15 to be shipped to dabble around with everything myself.

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
Love the setup @Ryan P. I have a thread testing some rig options as well, specifically with an external mic input using a USB-C splitter and on the DJI Osmo Mobile 6 gimbal. Haven't landed on a solution yet.

The one flash drive I could find with write speeds capable of 4K60 ProRes - the Kingston DataTraveler Max - is unable to sustain its 900MB/s speed and resulted in stuttery footage for me at times. Testing the drive in Blackmagic, speeds indeed dip to below 200MB/s rather quickly. Unsure if the drive is just defective or if it thermal throttles that much.

Ordered the flexible USB-C cable you mentioned and will give it a go. The gimbal clamp restricts my ability to mount the SSD directly on the back, but I might be able to velcro it to the top right edge of the phone (landscape orientation). Using the longer Thunderbolt 3 cable I have on hand was impacting the gimbal's stabilization, but I also ordered some other cables to test - the thinner/lighter the better in my case.

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
Have you seen this, you can record to a sd card as well using the apple adapter.

Saw some having success with this as well. The only issue is that unless you already have some of the top-end cards laying around (speed-wise), buying them is more expensive than an equivalent SSD which can triple the speed. And at 300 MB/s at the top-end, I would worry about that speed being sustained when shooting longer clips.

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Saw some having success with this as well. The only issue is that unless you already have some of the top-end cards laying around (speed-wise), buying them is more expensive than an equivalent SSD which can triple the speed. And at 300 MB/s at the top-end, I would worry about that speed being sustained when shooting longer clips.

Yea I think it’s more of a size thing, but some of those ssd’s look tiny these days, I have not kept up with them at all. In my mind they are all as big as a Mac mini ☺️

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Yea I think it’s more of a size thing, but some of those ssd’s look tiny these days, I have not kept up with them at all. In my mind they are all as big as a Mac mini ☺️
Ya SSD’s better price and performance at about the size of a card and card reader. Cards make sense if already part of workflow.

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Ya SSD’s better price and performance at about the size of a card and card reader. Cards make sense if already part of workflow.

It’s crazy how small some of them are, I wonder what’s the smallest 1tb SSD currently?

How about a case with built in MagSafe charging, and an SSD? So many cool possibilities!

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
Dropping this here as I was able to rig up an SSD successfully with the DJI Osmo Mobile 6 using this cable as well.

Very satisfied with how this came together.

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpeg
    IMG_0056.jpeg
    464.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0057.jpeg
    IMG_0057.jpeg
    516.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0058.jpeg
    IMG_0058.jpeg
    454.6 KB · Views: 81

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Dropping this here as I was able to rig up an SSD successfully with the DJI Osmo Mobile 6 using this cable as well.

Very satisfied with how this came together.

Cool. Did you look at any Bluetooth microphones? I was wondering if this would simplify things.

Just going over some of test footage of last few days now, and wow the ProRes log is on another planet. There is so much more artifacting and excessive contrast/sharpening in the non log clips I shot. The log clips really don’t seem to need much fussing, they look very close to what my eye saw as soon as you apply with ACES transform. I’ve only figured out how to put them in SDR 709 though and not HDR.

Uploading to YouTube now. Need to figure how the heck I manage shooting everything in ProRes! I guess more pruning, and perhaps upgrading to the 12TB plan. It is a bit easier to look through everything when they are all in photos. Thankfully have a free 16TB SSD.

Finding myself primarily using the Camera app instead of Blackmagic. Biggest issue with it, is you can’t apply the LUT in camera so have to deal with everything looking washed out. The Blackmagic has so much more control, but Apple seems to nail things in most shots.

Last edited:

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Ok so here is a simple barely edited example of 2 ProRes log scenes, and 1 normal scene from the Camera app. Definitely want to view on a 4k monitor at 2160p60.

Looks slightly better before YouTube compression, but I uploaded ProRes, so is mostly there. The first two scenes use the ACES conversion in DaVinci Resolve, and a touch of a LUT. Those looked like what I saw. The 2nd scene pretty challenging as from very dark shadow to very bright sky.

The last scene...so much compression, over contrast, and tone mapping. It makes the dogs fur look horrible, and it overly brightens all the shadows.

This YouTube video also worth a watch, he does a better job of explaining than me.

I would like to know how to do these in HDR, haven't been able to get them to look right.

maverick786us

macrumors regular
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
A super minimal 4K 60 rig. I’m using a Crucial X9 2TB, mounted via MagSafe. Can get 144min for 2TB. The X9 really good bang for buck. $70 for 1TB.

View attachment 2276764
View attachment 2276769

The mount comes with 2 options. A thick really strong MagSafe and a paper thin, probably strong enough MagSafe. Digging the ultra thin case as well.

If someone finds a 3.5” super flexible USB-C cable, let me know! It has to be flexible or it will pull the drive off the MagSafe.

Nice setup. I will get my iPhone 15 Pro max by next week. I was looking for a gimble in which I can mount SSD, so that I can directly record those videos on to SSD, with ease. I found Insta360 is perfectly designed for iPhone 15 Pro Max, it has a launch app for iPhone on button click and Insta360 app makes capturing footage and images with the gimbal easy, though the experience is slightly better on an iPhone than on an Android phone. This is mostly thanks to the quick-open feature available to iPhones mentioned above.

And I was thinking of mounting this SSD holder with the gimbal, just like the way this gentleman did it in this video.

There are some doubts with this setup.
1. Is this SSD holder built to be mounted on Insta360 Gimble, or do I need some additional equipment to mount it?
2. I want to record Super ProRes video @ 60FPS, directly on to the SSD, while Insta360 inbuilt photo app that runs through auto mode, will it reset the video settings, every time I open it?

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
Cool. Did you look at any Bluetooth microphones? I was wondering if this would simplify things.

Just going over some of test footage of last few days now, and wow the ProRes log is on another planet. There is so much more artifacting and excessive contrast/sharpening in the non log clips I shot. The log clips really don’t seem to need much fussing, they look very close to what my eye saw as soon as you apply with ACES transform. I’ve only figured out how to put them in SDR 709 though and not HDR.

Uploading to YouTube now. Need to figure how the heck I manage shooting everything in ProRes! I guess more pruning, and perhaps upgrading to the 12TB plan. It is a bit easier to look through everything when they are all in photos. Thankfully have a free 16TB SSD.

Finding myself primarily using the Camera app instead of Blackmagic. Biggest issue with it, is you can’t apply the LUT in camera so have to deal with everything looking washed out. The Blackmagic has so much more control, but Apple seems to nail things in most shots.
I have not, part of me worries about reliability with that setup but probably an unfounded fear.

Agreed - the ProRes Log is a total gamechanger. It's not even close imo when viewing on a larger screen TV. The lack of oversharpening and broader range takes footage to another level.

I also have been preferring the Camera app thanks to its simplicity, but may swap over to Blackmagic down the road. I do like how you can apply a LUT filter for the "viewfinder" in Blackmagic, which can help avoid potential exposure issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.