Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Holy. I gotta find that video. That iPad Pro OLED text looks incredible. I don't think any OLED screen comes within a mile of that. And Apple already renders text pretty decently on LG's w-OLED panels.

Reactions: PaperMag and mikeev

mikeev

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
Holy. I gotta find that video. That iPad Pro OLED text looks incredible. I don't think any OLED screen comes within a mile of that. And Apple already renders text pretty decently on LG's w-OLED panels.
Several reviews confirm this. Not only is the new tandem OLED's text rendering "good for an OLED", but it's apparently even better than the previous-gen iPad Pro IPS LCD. If true, this is an entirely new territory for OLED.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaperMag

PaperMag

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023
Do we know that the iPad's OLEDs use a traditional RGB pixel structure? Their marketing video sure didn't show it that way and I'm not sure who actually manufactures any OLEDs with RGB layout sub-pixels.
You’re right, I shouldn’t have said traditional because that implies LCD subpixel structure. I more meant it’s easier for subpixel text rendering on the OS level compared to WOLED.

Reactions: thelead

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I am no expert but my guess is that the margins in TVs and monitors is too low for Apple’s liking. Also keep in mind, they think selling you a VisionPro headset is the future.
I'd also assume that the space constraints are nowhere near as big a deal as in the iPad. There are cheaper ways of doing HDR home cinema displays that work work plenty good enough.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
OLED iPad Pro hits 1000 nits in SDR & HDR mode at 100% window.

2024 Samsung S95D only hits 289 nits at 100% window.

Both QD-OLED and WOLED have shortcomings, including not getting bright enough, and text fringing due to odd sub-pixel structures—which is a problem if you're Apple selling reference-grade displays. Tandem OLED gets over 2x brighter on a 100% window and its traditional RGB pixel structure doesn't cause text fringing so its perfect for software UI, productivity and design work.

My understanding is that the weird subpixel layouts only cause fringing because the software (Mac or Windows) isn't designed with them in mind. If Apple compensates for it, shouldn't that alleviate any issues? I mean, why wouldn't they?

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Question relating to the iPad Pro tandem OLED screen. The tech sounds really cool, can’t wait to see one in person.

Assume it looks truly amazing, especially HDR content. I think Apple is the first with this screen tech. Will Apple push this advantage and release a large tandem OLED monitor? How about a tandem OLED television? How long, how difficult, and how expensive to launch it with big screens?
Apple was not the first company to use tandem OLED in mobile devices. Huawei released a phone with this tech a week before Apple did. It's not really an Apple tech either. Also LG has been using tandem OLED for car panels for about a year now.

• Love
Reactions: PaperMag

PaperMag

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023
My understanding is that the weird subpixel layouts only cause fringing because the software (Mac or Windows) isn't designed with them in mind. If Apple compensates for it, shouldn't that alleviate any issues? I mean, why wouldn't they?
I’m no expert either but what I’ve read made it seem like OS optimization is needed but not all subpixel structures/shapes are optimal for text even if supported by Cleartype or macOS’s Quartz (or whatever they call it).

Maybe someone else with expertise can chime in.

Also, Apple seems to be involving less subpixel rendering than on Windows. For instance low resolution text looks sharp on Windows but less so on Mac because Apple turned that stuff off around macOS Mojave, putting more reliance on simply having higher dpi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.