Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tweaknmod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
Knowing every generation since the dawn of life can say this, I still think it’s worth saying:

The distance we’ve come in what we’re capable of, in my lifetime alone, is indescribably impressive.

The “phone” I’m using to type this is more complex and capable than I’ll ever know. How many people worked their entire lives to make a discovery, to perfect their craft, or to have the skills needed to otherwise contribute to these? I hope they’re all proud. And to think how many incredible things people have created with them (yes, bad too, but let’s be bright for a min).

They aren’t perfect; but still, they’re damn near beautiful - if you can manage to look at them for the people and work that made them a reality.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There was a time around here where I would claim that the features Apple was offering in iOS were either watered down forms of jailbreak tweaks or ripoffs of jailbreak tweaks. Mainly I made that claim because there was a lot of users stating that they no longer needed to jailbreak because Apple had finally given them the one thing they were looking for.

At some point in my jailbreaking I had over 300 tweaks. I had a lot of things iOS 17 gives now (and more) long before iOS 17. I was rocking dark mode in iOS 6 with the iPhone 5.

I don't jailbreak (much) anymore, but that's largely due to the hassle that jailbreaking has become and the fact that it has regressed where Apple has progressed.

I was ok with iOS 15, comfortable with iOS 16 and iOS 17 is sufficient. I'm not 'HAPPY', but I am okay. Which, if you know me around here as a diehard jailbreaker, is saying something.

Glad you like your iPhone 15PM and iOS 17. Here is hoping Apple continues to progress iOS. There are still jailbreak tweaks I used to use that I want Apple to offer.

Last edited:

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Knowing every generation since the dawn of life can say this, I still think it’s worth saying:

The distance we’ve come in what we’re capable of, in my lifetime alone, is indescribably impressive.

The “phone” I’m using to type this is more complex and capable than I’ll ever know. How many people worked their entire lives to make a discovery, to perfect their craft, or to have the skills needed to otherwise contribute to these? I hope they’re all proud. And to think how many incredible things people have created with them (yes, bad too, but let’s be bright for a min).

They aren’t perfect; but still, they’re damn near beautiful - if you can manage to look at them for the people and work that made them a reality.
Your points are so truly well said 👍😊

Hele

macrumors member
May 14, 2022
Rhode Island
iPhone=internet phone. It’s a computer in your bag/pocket, and it’s all about being connected.

I know there are people who grumble about the cost of the devices and, probably moreso, the service. The devices by themselves aren’t much without the service(s), the Apple eco-system, the carrier provided connection(s). Think of the infrastructure and the people, all of it necessary to make any of it happen. It’s worth the money, and it truly is amazing.

jpallarest

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2019
I am soooo hay with my 15P along with iOS 17. None of the issues. It's been a wonderful piece of technology so far. I hope Apple can work out the quirks.

tweaknmod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
I agree with you. It’s a wonderful device and great ecosystem.

My mom died in 1996 when I was 10. I always think about how mind blowingly far technology has come and how floored by it she would be.
Yeah, my dad was a massive tech nerd. He would give me his old tech to figure out when he got his new gadgets.

He didn’t explain it, just let me figure it out on my own - great way to learn!

RIP pops! 🍻

Last edited:

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
There are still jailbreak tweaks I used to use that I want Apple to offer.
Would you mind expanding on this?
I was never a JB person myself but even during the old iOS 3-7 days I would keep up with the community and the possibilities.

Then Apple introduced extensions and third-party system integrations support in iOS 8 and it was around that same time that all the old forums and channels seemed to disappear or give up on it and just start talking about Apple themselves.
Outside of sideloading applications not in the AppStore, exactly what are the features you would want?

I recall the biggest things in the old days were quick actions in settings, third-party keyboards, home screen widgets, automations and changeable icons, all which exist in stock iOS today.

Reactions: Digger148

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Would you mind expanding on this?
I was never a JB person myself but even during the old iOS 3-7 days I would keep up with the community and the possibilities.

Then Apple introduced extensions and third-party system integrations support in iOS 8 and it was around that same time that all the old forums and channels seemed to disappear or give up on it and just start talking about Apple themselves.
Outside of sideloading applications not in the AppStore, exactly what are the features you would want?

I recall the biggest things in the old days were quick actions in settings, third-party keyboards, home screen widgets, automations and changeable icons, all which exist in stock iOS today.
Off the top of my head, the biggest one would be the tweak called Forecast. Forecast took the weather animation of the weather app and displayed it on the homescreen and the lockscreen. You could choose to use the animation as is, or you could have it display transparently over your wallpaper. As an additional bonus it added weather info (also taken from the weather app) that would display on your lockscreen. And you could modify what displayed and the location on the lockscreen of that information.

The weather animation only ran when you had your phone on and even then there was no discernible battery hit.

Another tweak, dead since iOS 6 was the Dashboard tweak. Dashboard allowed you to display widgets on the homescreen, much like you can now do currently. But, you could combine Dashboard with a file explorer tweak and remove the backgrounds of the widgets - so you had widgets with transparent backgrounds. I used to have the old weather widget with a transparent background on my homescreen along with forecast.

One other off the top of my head was the ability to add in your own icons in the status bar. I had a mute button that was persistent.

Let's see…there was an alarm tweak that allowed you to shut off all alarms at once, not just individually. If you're a person who needs backup alarms you don't need the rest going off after you wake up to the first one. And that tweak had a time delay for 'off', so that you wouldn't have to remember to go back in to the app and turn all your alarms back on.

I have screenshots of all my installed tweaks at various points so I could see what I needed to reinstall whenever I jailbroke again. I could go back through those, but this post would end up becoming a book in its own right.

EDIT: To show an example of Forecast…plus a combination of a moon phase tweak and a time/date tweak. This would be my lockscreen. There are a few tweaks in the status bar as well. Customized carrier icon, data tweak and a circular battery tweak.

iPhone 6s Plus jailbroken on iOS 9.0.1

2017-07-06 13.05.40.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Lounge vibes 05

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Yeah, my dad was a massive tech nerd. He would give me his old tech to figure out, when he got his new gadgets.

He didn’t explain it, just let me figure it out on my own - great way to learn!

RIP pops!

RIP to your pops. I’ve been a tech nerd since I was 12. Growing up I enjoyed seeing the new stuff but couldn’t afford them. Now I’m 41 with kids and a family business. I love to read about new tech stuff. I like what apple and google have done. Tesla too. My SUV is very techy. Now if I want some new stuff I go and get to try it out. To me apples ecosystem is just on another level. My kids now becoming tech nerds. We talk about stuff and they appreciate it. I remember them being babies and me going to Apple Store on iPhone launch day. I would go with a stroller and what not. Now they are almost in their teenage years with their own iPhones. I had a great flashback this year during 15 launch day. I went with all of them. Waited in line for 10 minutes for my appointment and stared at them and thought “wow now they are big and they are doing this with me” I appreciate that. They appreciate that. I know one day they’ll talk about me and these moments.

• Love
Reactions: tweaknmod

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
RIP to your pops. I’ve been a tech nerd since I was 12. Growing up I enjoyed seeing the new stuff but couldn’t afford them. Now I’m 41 with kids and a family business. I love to read about new tech stuff. I like what apple and google have done. Tesla too. My SUV is very techy. Now if I want some new stuff I go and get to try it out. To me apples ecosystem is just on another level. My kids now becoming tech nerds. We talk about stuff and they appreciate it. I remember them being babies and me going to Apple Store on iPhone launch day. I would go with a stroller and what not. Now they are almost in their teenage years with their own iPhones. I had a great flashback this year during 15 launch day. I went with all of them. Waited in line for 10 minutes for my appointment and stared at them and thought “wow now they are big and they are doing this with me” I appreciate that. They appreciate that. I know one day they’ll talk about me and these moments.
I was either 11 or 12 when you were born (1982). I'm 53 now. My mom was a computer science teacher so there was always a computer in the house, starting in 1980. My kids are 19 (be 20 in a few days) and 15. Both grew up with computers in the house and first computers for them were iBooks. A G3 for my son and a G4 for my daughter.

They also pounded away on my old Macs and a 3GS we had around. Today…my son is in his third year for IT and my daughter is in 10th grade with a flair for art. Both use the iPhone SE2 but long ago gravitated to PCs for schoolwork.

I'm with you on a lot of what you said, except the Apple ecosystem. There was a point (2012) where Apple abandoned me and PowerPC so I was forced to find my own methods of 'ecosystem' and I did. I use those because they are cross platform and work on any device in my house. I love my Apple devices, but the Apple ecosystem does not work well on non-Apple devices (which I also own).

There are workarounds there though too. An Apple Mini makes a great AirMessage server so you can use iMessage on an Android device for instance. ;)

Mr_Knightley

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2023
Essex
I am a newbie here, as you can see.

But I have been hanging around these forums for a while and, I suppose, I have been a bit surprised – among what I assumed to be an iPhone-lovers site – to see quite a bit of negative discussion. You know, the iPhone has put on a bit of middle-aged spread; I don’t like the hard edges on current models, etc.

For me, it remains a thing of beauty. I can still remember the exact time and place where the original was first pointed out to me at an event in London. I knew then that I had to have one – and I had never been at all interested in any of my previous mobile phones. A few weeks later I bought a 3G and have never owned or wanted any other make of phone since.

I'm no nerd, but it has actually become one of the most precious things that I own, not just because of all the things it allows me to do but, more importantly, because of the way it looks and feels.

Therefore, I was very pleased to read the OP:)

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
I can agree technology is getting more advance and this iPhone 15 pro max is pretty darn fast with the latest software update from Apple

Appreciation goes a long way especially if you geek out on technology like I do haha

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
iPhone 4 running iOS 4.x
iPhone 4s running iOS 5.x
iPhone 5 running iOS 6.x
iPhone 5s running iOS 7.x
iPhone 6 running iOS 8.x
iPhone 6s runnng iOS 9.x
iPhone 7 running iOS 10.x
iPhone 8/X running iOS 11.x
iPhone XR/XS running iOS 12.x
iPhone 11/11 Pro running iOS 13.x
iPhone 12/12 Pro running iOS 14.x
iPhone 13/13 Pro running iOS 15.x
iPhone 14/14 Pro running iOS 16.x

• Wow
Reactions: decafjava
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.