Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Oh, perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I'm happy that normal service has been resumed \o/

It's possible that the Battery Level peculiarity was present in iOS 14 (and before), but I never looked until things went wonky with iOS 15.

Thus, clearly Apple and their software were the culprit for this, as it tuned out, waste of time.

I maintain that companies should be open about their mistakes. Apple's tenacious refusal to go further than "fixed a battery drain issue" is my reason for the reputation hit; as is the absence of diagnostic tools, which is absurd. There are smart people at Apple, they know this. And they should fix it, else they become just another commodity box-shifter, and that doesn't warrant the Apple Tax.
It sounds like they did fix it for you. What more of an explanation do you want from them about the source of the issue?

Reactions: Taz Mangus

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
UK
It sounds like they did fix it for you. What more of an explanation do you want from them about the source of the issue?
An explanation. They haven't provided one. I thought I made that clear. I'm not sure how many different ways I can say it.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
I restored my SE1 to 15.4.1 and we will see how it holds up

Not my main device, not even my backup, more like a random iPod touch but it was going down by the percentage every 20 seconds or so even from staring at Home Screen or into settings lol

it had been OTA'd since iOS11 and lots of public betas in between over the years, so maybe that was it but dont know? Well see if it continues to drain at a comical/tragic pace
Looking forward to see if it helped you, coz iOS 15.4.1 killing my SE1 battery.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Today I went from 100% to 1% in an hour and a half. iPhone was in standby (not in use).
I deleted two apps, did a soft reset. We will see tomorrow. If no result, I will bring the phone to Apple Service Point.
Yeah, that doesn't sound at all right.

This is me today being on Safari for most of the usage (75%):

1649635561444.png

1649635626545.png

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Yeah, that doesn't sound at all right.

This is me today being on Safari for most of the usage (75%):

View attachment 1989512
View attachment 1989513
In standby I can go all day(a rare event to leave my devices alone that long) and lose no more than 1-2%. If I had a battery drain that high in standby the first thing I’d do is a forced restart to shut down all processes, something is stuck running On @Ulenspiegel‘s device.

nefelinbr

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2022
Natal, Brasil
Hello everyone, I followed the whole topic and here's my story. my Iphone Xr is also losing load above normal in stand-by, I tried to restore it by itunes but the problem still persists, I lose 15-20% overnight even with the device completely offline, even took the phone chip to test if it was network problem, I disabled siri, gps, I tried all the tips of this topic but nothing worked

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Hello everyone, I followed the whole topic and here's my story. my Iphone Xr is also losing load above normal in stand-by, I tried to restore it by itunes but the problem still persists, I lose 15-20% overnight even with the device completely offline, even took the phone chip to test if it was network problem, I disabled siri, gps, I tried all the tips of this topic but nothing worked
My suggest is to do an encrypted backup of your phone to your computer and then Erase All Contents and setup the phone as a new device, don’t restore from backup. See how much battery drain you get in standby. After that do another Erase All Contents and restore from encrypted backup from your computer.

Reactions: Samdh90

nefelinbr

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2022
Natal, Brasil
My suggest is to do an encrypted backup of your phone to your computer and then Erase All Contents and setup the phone as a new device, don’t restore from backup. See how much battery drain you get in standby. After that do another Erase All Contents and restore from encrypted backup from your computer.
this would be the nuclear option for me, i would only use it if i was sure it would work, i prefer to wait for some brave friends to do the suggested test

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Developments:

Today made a 20 minutes call in the morning. Then phone was in standby (meeting). In the afternoon the battery was at 72%.

Was enough, brought the iPhone to Apple Authorized Service.

They will check and repair what's necessary. The guy said most probably its a software issue as my battery is 94%.

We will see.

Reactions: TiggrToo

MacTiki

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2008
Very interested in battery experience of 6s plus on 15.4.1. Apparently it got very good:
DO NOT UPGRADE unless you enjoy using a sluggish phone which requires you to stay in close proximity to an outlet due to significant battery drain issues.

Even typing this reply on my iPhone 6s Plus is unbearably annoying. The phone cannot keep up with my typing and the click sound is out of sync.

Loading websites like CNN, Fox News, Bloomberg, MarketWatch is now extremely slow.

Prior to the upgrade I was on the last iteration of iOS 14. My iPhone is now stuck in the muck which is 15.4.1 and there is no way to revert to my previous iOS.

It’s one thing for an iPhone not to be allowed to be upgraded to the newest iOS but it something totally different when Apple prohibits someone from downgrading.

Apple, via this update, has hobbled my once perfectly functional phone and the only solution apparently is to purchase a new iPhone.

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
UK
DO NOT UPGRADE unless you enjoy using a sluggish phone which requires you to stay in close proximity to an outlet due to significant battery drain issues.

Even typing this reply on my iPhone 6s Plus is unbearably annoying. The phone cannot keep up with my typing and the click sound is out of sync.

Loading websites like CNN, Fox News, Bloomberg, MarketWatch is now extremely slow.

Prior to the upgrade I was on the last iteration of iOS 14. My iPhone is now stuck in the muck which is 15.4.1 and there is no way to revert to my previous iOS.

It’s one thing for an iPhone not to be allowed to be upgraded to the newest iOS but it something totally different when Apple prohibits someone from downgrading.

Apple, via this update, has hobbled my once perfectly functional phone and the only solution apparently is to purchase a new iPhone.
I felt this way about 15.4 (and 15.3) but then I upgraded to 15.4.1 and, well, 50% battery after more than 3 days. So ymmv, I guess. To be clear, I do think this huge variation in experience is ridiculous.

IMG_0430.png

Last edited:

MacTiki

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2008
I felt this way about 15.4 (and 15.3) but then I upgraded to 15.4.1 and, well, 50% battery after more than 3 days. So ymmv, I guess. To be clear, I do think this huge variation in experience is ridiculous.

I’m not sure if I am following you.

Is 50% battery life after 3 days of not using your phone is considered good?

What is battery life like when you are using the phone?

I have nothing running in the background and the phone drains itself to death.

Location services are all but disabled except for a couple of system services and a few app which are set to while using.

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
UK
Is 50% battery life after 3 days of not using your phone is considered good?

What is battery life like when you are using the phone?

I have nothing running in the background and the phone drains itself to death.

Location services are all but disabled except for a couple of system services and a few app which are set to while using.
I do use it, just not very much. But it's a reasonably consistent measure to gauge the excessive drain that came about with iOS 15.3, which was the point of this thread.

Battery life when I use it varies, since usage varies; as it does for everyone.

I have Location Services on. i.e. defaults except for Find My and System Customisation, both of which still seem phone home ceaselessly. I also have Mobile Data off when on Wi-fi. (Oh and Bluetooth is always off on all my devices, because I no need for it.)

nefelinbr

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2022
Natal, Brasil
I tested the battery recharge method, let it reach 1% and charge up to 100% with optimized charging disabled, unfortunately it made no difference, I lost 16% in 5h of sleep, adding the whole period of the day and night I must lose some 30% only in standby mode, hope IOS 16 solves this drain on standby
4B9689BA-8413-458B-ADA0-92CB21B247D2.png

Attachments

• F8DA984F-BEC3-47BC-99B7-1077E71CA75C.jpeg
    F8DA984F-BEC3-47BC-99B7-1077E71CA75C.jpeg
    698 KB · Views: 70

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
I bet you it is SW related... I really hope iOS 16 has more quality focus since iOS15 has not been god for battery life in general. At least for me.

nefelinbr

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2022
Natal, Brasil
Baixei o ios 15.5 beta 1 ontem para ver se havia alguma alteração no dreno em standby, não surtiu efeito, perdi 15% em 7h de sono com modo avião ligado, I'm already restoring IOS 15.4.1

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
UK
Baixei o ios 15.5 beta 1 ontem para ver se havia alguma alteração no dreno em standby, não surtiu efeito, perdi 15% em 7h de sono com modo avião ligado, I'm already restoring IOS 15.4.1
Yeah, I'm not planning to update from 15.4.1 for a long time.

dsimon

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2022
I've got a weird issue on my iPhone 8 using iOS 15.4.1. that just started yesterday (Apr17). Randomly when using my phone, it will reset without warning. It seems to happen whenever an app attempts to use Location Services (as in the Location Services arrow will show in the upper bar). When that happens, the phone resets and will go into an endless reset cycle until I plug the phone into a power cord. It does not matter how much battery power I have just before it resets (could be 100%, could be 60%, doesn't matter).

While the phone is plugged in to power and boots back up, it shows very little power currently available on the battery (ex 8% or 9%). It then rapidly increases its charge (as I type, this happened, and it went from 8% battery to 60% in just a couple of minutes).

This has happened multiple times in the past two days. I just updated to 15.4.1 this past Thurs or Fri. My phone says that Battery Health is at 92% Max Capacity (phone is around 2 years old).

While I suppose my battery might be prematurely dying, it feels like maybe this latest iOS version might have something to do with these weird glitches. Not sure if anyone else has had this issue.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I've got a weird issue on my iPhone 8 using iOS 15.4.1. that just started yesterday (Apr17). Randomly when using my phone, it will reset without warning. It seems to happen whenever an app attempts to use Location Services (as in the Location Services arrow will show in the upper bar). When that happens, the phone resets and will go into an endless reset cycle until I plug the phone into a power cord. It does not matter how much battery power I have just before it resets (could be 100%, could be 60%, doesn't matter).

While the phone is plugged in to power and boots back up, it shows very little power currently available on the battery (ex 8% or 9%). It then rapidly increases its charge (as I type, this happened, and it went from 8% battery to 60% in just a couple of minutes).

This has happened multiple times in the past two days. I just updated to 15.4.1 this past Thurs or Fri. My phone says that Battery Health is at 92% Max Capacity (phone is around 2 years old).

While I suppose my battery might be prematurely dying, it feels like maybe this latest iOS version might have something to do with these weird glitches. Not sure if anyone else has had this issue.
Look under Settings->Privacy->Analytics & Improvements->Analytics and see if there is a kernel panic crash report.

Some users are reporting that their phones running on iOS 15.4.1 are having kernel panics. The panics seem to be related to the IPC communications between co-processors. The panic I have seen reported shows that there is a timeout condition waiting on the OUTBOX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.