Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
Unless your hobby is photography or videography,
I just said it was. And actual films in theaters today are sometimes shot on iPhones. Most people don't know why they need Final Cut either, but it is still an important Apple product. And what did you ask for? Visionary technologies. Not mandatory technologies that everyone would need.

You probably missed my update about the metro-network. The public can't know they need something if it doesn't exist yet.

Harry Haller

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2023
Tim gets a lot of grief for not being Steve.
Hardly his fault.
Steve knew he wasn't when he chose him.
I believe he was chosen to do exactly what he has done.
Have there been missteps?
Absolutely and some spectacular flameouts.
But lots of successes.
I imagine the process of choosing his successor is under way.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Unfortunately, Apple shareholders strongly support Tim Cook precisely because he works to support their interests, which are the opposite of the interests of consumers (fair prices, user-friendly products, etc.).

I wish Scott Fostall would be the next CEO. Unfortunately, it probably will not happen when Cook leaves, and someone as mediocre as Cook—like Craig Federighi—will probably become CEO.

When iOS 7 was announced, the fact that Federighi smugly bashed Forstall's iOS 6 skeuomorphic designs shows that Federighi is just as mediocre and clueless as Clueless Cook.

Last edited:

b.la

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2021
Tim had high hopes with the Apple Vision Pro but it failed spectacularly. It lacks a killer feature, it lacks a purpose, and it is just too expensive for a toy.

Apple had to cancel multiple products in order to give all resources to the development of this flop device: Apple's Car, the Charging Pad, even the iPhone mini 14 and 15 were canceled because of this.

There might even be a link to Jony Ive's departure from Apple, because he wanted nothing to do with "that stupid goggles".

Tim was chasing the pink dragon with this, now Apple is in a sort of dead end:

Phones without real innovation.

Computers with soldered 8 gigs of RAM.

Watches, that tell the world: this person is a nerdy nerd.

And Apple TV without any serious sports league.

How long can Apple survive with this Mediocrity?

Who will be the next CEO?
U ok hun? Call me.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I just said it was. And actual films in theaters today are sometimes shot on iPhones. Most people don't know why they need Final Cut either, but it is still an important Apple product. And what did you ask for? Visionary technologies. Not mandatory technologies that everyone would need.

You probably missed my update about the metro-network. The public can't know they need something if it doesn't exist yet.
I absolutely missed your network update, and I agree.

In fact, it’s long been my suspicion that Apple has been weaving the fabric of this network stealthily with its efforts for a long time in Airdrop,Find My, AirTags, Satellite Connectivity, their work on a custom modem, etc. They have most of the underlying technical infrastructure in place, at scale. My honest take on this topic is there’s no way the intelligence agencies and governments (in that order) in the countries Apple does business in will ever allow a truly private network to exist legally. That’s a bit of a tangent though.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Tim gets a lot of grief for not being Steve.
Hardly his fault.
Steve knew he wasn't when he chose him.
I believe he was chosen to do exactly what he has done.
Have there been missteps?
Absolutely and some spectacular flameouts.
But lots of successes.
I imagine the process of choosing his successor is under way.
There is a reason Steve didn’t choose Ive or Forestall. I would imagine Jobs had to veto them and keep those guys in check from going extremes. Tim Cook is more personal dislike on these forums than anything else.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Tim had high hopes with the Apple Vision Pro but it failed spectacularly. It lacks a killer feature, it lacks a purpose, and it is just too expensive for a toy.

Apple had to cancel multiple products in order to give all resources to the development of this flop device: Apple's Car, the Charging Pad, even the iPhone mini 14 and 15 were canceled because of this.

There might even be a link to Jony Ive's departure from Apple, because he wanted nothing to do with "that stupid goggles".

Tim was chasing the pink dragon with this, now Apple is in a sort of dead end:

Phones without real innovation.

Computers with soldered 8 gigs of RAM.

Watches, that tell the world: this person is a nerdy nerd.

And Apple TV without any serious sports league.

How long can Apple survive with this Mediocrity?

Who will be the next CEO?
Hmm .. please remind us again: which $2T company did you build? 🤔

a m u n

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2018
What nonsense you’ve written. o_O

What evidence do you have to suggest that Apple Vision Pro “spectacularly failed”? Is it solely based on the reduction in production? Given its launch in a single country at this price point, it actually sold exceptionally well — and it was released just 3 months ago.

Apple has invested over $40 billion dollars in Vision Pro, and they have certainly done their homework very well for the long term.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Wouldn't make a difference if you even put Will Ferrel in that chair. Listening to mediocre suggestions of the engineers due to own lack of creativity is something, many can do ... having a true vision of the future ... no, Cook doesn't have that.
Why are you wasting your vast insights and unrivaled creative, engineering, leadership, management and inspirational talents trolling on MR? 🤔

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
"Darren Woods as CEO of ExxonMobil has a fantastic track record. ExxonMobil are one of the biggest, if not the biggest company in the world, and make huge sums of profit."

Where are all the Apple enthusiasts left, who think different, who want to change the World, because they are crazy enough?
PSA: Cynicism is not thinking different.

Reactions: KeithBN

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
X

Apple Vision Pro was never pushed to be "the next iPhone" or any kind of big sales product—obviously—it costs $3500. Instead, it's announcement is a multi-stage campaign to enter and then have influence in a tech category that hasn't even begun on a mass market level. Apple shouldn't have to explicitly say that big sales wasn't the goal. It's implied. It's obvious. Tim Cook isn't going to say on-camera, "Hey normies, stand back, this product isn't for you."

Everybody should read Crossing the Chasm for context. This is targeted at early adopters as a lean product in the testing phase. With feedback, seeing how industries and customer segments develop use cases, Apple can design v2 to get better early adoption. And then v3, and v4, and v5 will add more mass market enticing features. Once it crosses a threshold, especially when price hits a low price like $999, it will hit a tipping point where majority mass market buyers run to purchase.

Apple Vision Pro may be the most expensive singular product Apple has released, so it appears more clunky a rollout than previous product announcements, but even the iPhone, MacBook Air, and iPod were "failures" to the layman-observers that insist on judging products during their v1 rollout.

Last edited:

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
"Darren Woods as CEO of ExxonMobil has a fantastic track record. ExxonMobil are one of the biggest, if not the biggest company in the world, and make huge sums of profit."
Those who defend Tim Cook's performance as CEO claim he's excellent because Apple has made record profits under his leadership. Yet those same people who defend Cook will (rightfully) criticize Steve Ballmer's performance as CEO of Microsoft. Yes, Microsoft made products that were not user-friendly under Ballmer's leadership. But Microsoft made record profits under Ballmer's leadership, and since that's what Tim Cook defenders care about most, why do they criticize Ballmer? It's hypocritical. Such Cook defenders fail to see their lack of logic for criticizing Ballmer.

Last edited:

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
I am not sure man.. how could Chinese EV flourish starting from 2019.. the year covid hit..

Apple is an international corp, there is no excuse it cannot compete wth Chinese companies
Two questions: 1. Can you explain what you mean by “Chinese companies?” 2. Are you also asking this same question of Tesla who is getting its lunch eaten by BYD?

Reactions: KeithBN

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
Unfortunately, Apple shareholders strongly support Tim Cook precisely because he works to support their interests, which are the opposite of the interests of consumers (fair prices, user-friendly products, etc.).
iPhone—never been better.
Mac—never been better.
iPad—never been better.
Apple Watch—never been better.
Apple TV—never been better.

They are all easy to use. If anything, the iPad is too easy to use.

Prices, theres always an inexpensive alternative that kicks ass. MacBook Air is $999 and is 2.5x faster than a 2019 16-inch MacBook Pro with dedicated GPU and fans.

My problem with Apple is their monopolistic attitude with App Store (and of course RAM/Storage prices). But otherwise, Cook is running a good show.

I wish Scott Fostall would be the next CEO. Unfortunately, it probably will not happen when Cook leaves, and someone as mediocre as Cook—like Craig Federighi—will probably become CEO.
There is 0 chance Craig Federighi becomes CEO. It's obviously going to be Jeff Williams, current COO. I'll throw in Johny Srouji (chip design) and John Ternus (hardware design) as my wild cards.

Last edited:

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Where are all the Apple enthusiasts left, who think different, who want to change the World, because they are crazy enough?
That's a good question. Whatever soul Apple had quickly disappeared after Steve Jobs died and after Scott Forstall was fired. Instead of being focused on making products to serve as tools to help the common man, Apple is now run by someone with an MBA, which is one of the most soulless degrees. Jobs was working towards a B.A. in English literature (before dropping out of college during his first year). The values of idealists like Jobs has been replaced by the values of MBAs. It's no wonder that Apple is so soulless these days, considering that so many MBA students' two biggest dream jobs are working for McKinsey and Goldman Sachs. So many MBA students come to their MBA programs from consulting and investment banking jobs. Those are the soulless values held by that beancounter Cook and his supporters.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
iPhone—never been better.
[...]
They are all easy to use. If anything, the iPad is too easy to use.
I disagree. You should see my parents when they use their iDevices. And I'm myself often annoyed by usability missteps in Apple's own apps, not to speak of things like how terrible text editing is on iOS/iPadOS, and how the iPadOS UI isn't properly adapted to the iPad mini size.

PS8409

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2013
One thing is certain, Tim Cook didn't have a crystal ball to know a global pandemic would hit late into the development of both the car and the AVP, nor knowledge of the price of literally everything subsequently going up after that. There's been a lot happen in just the last few years that has changed the market for big ticket purchases. I don't think even the greediest of shareholders would blame Cook for any of that.
Regardless, it would have tanked. If it was going to work it would’ve been during the pandemic period of time when it made the most sense. But they missed that window. The future is not on the face.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
That's a good question. Whatever soul Apple had quickly disappeared after Steve Jobs died and after Scott Forstall was fired. Instead of being focused on making products to serve as tools to help the common man, Apple is now run by someone with an MBA, which is one of the most soulless degrees. Jobs was working towards a B.A. in English literature (before dropping out of college during his first year). The values of idealists like Jobs has been replaced by the values of MBAs. It's no wonder that Apple is so soulless these days, considering that so many MBA students' two biggest dream jobs are working for McKinsey and Goldman Sachs. So many MBA students come to their MBA programs from consulting and investment banking jobs. Those are the soulless values held by that beancounter Cook and his supporters.
There is so much nonsense in these comments. Given this I suspect you are not aware that it was Tim Cook, the so-called soulless, bean counting MBA who built the global logistics platform that made Steve Jobs’ vision possible to realize. Steve Jobs was an extraordinary human being. He was a great judge of talent and human capacity. He chose Tim Cook, the brilliant Industrial Engineer with an MBA. For many that counts for more than the opinions of unaccomplished internet pundits. But we don’t have to just rely on the fact that Jobs chose Cook — we have his record of building the first Trillion dollar company. What have you accomplished to be so confident that you know better than these two verifiably accomplished men?

LavaLevel

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2024
After he left we finally got amazing laptops again.
Funny, during the Jobs era, when I worked at Apple Care in Austin we weren't allowed to call them laptops AT ALL. Notebooks. Don't call them laptops. lol.

I don't see this being because of the Apple Vision, low sales, lawsuits or any of that. Tim Apple has done a marvelous job that any company would want a CEO like him. They've grown over and over exponentially.

I see it more of an age thing. Al Gore got 86'd off the board because there's some kind of force retirement "Logan's Run" clause for the board members. So Tim will definitely be off the board before long. I would imagine that ageism clause also goes up the management ladder too? But he's got at least another decade.

I just feel like Craig Federighi is the natural fit. That guy handles some of the toughest parts.

Here's everyone so we can put our bets in. Apple Top Management & Board Members LOL.

Last edited:

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2022
Side note: I didn’t know Apple isn’t the biggest company anymore 😮 When did that happen?

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
I disagree. You should see my parents when they use their iDevices. And I'm myself often annoyed by usability missteps in Apple's own apps, not to speak of things like how terrible text editing is on iOS/iPadOS, and how the iPadOS UI isn't properly adapted to the iPad mini size.
EDIT: I got mixed up cause you quoted me saying iPhone was never better but then talked about iPad. Let me respond again...

I agree. Thats kind of my jab with "if anything its too easy to use." The iPad is just too awkward with iOS, it really needs macOS put onto it if they aren't going to evolve iPadOS any faster.

Last edited:

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I have a few things to say.

Firstly, it is way too soon to call the visionOS platform a failure. I think everyone knew the first generation would be a tough sell. I've always looked at it as a proof of concept. But the long term vision (pun intended) is to bring the price down and shrink it to a size that's more comfortable. People forget that the first all in one PCs (Lisa, Macintosh) were very slow sellers initially. And were very expensive. I'm not even going to attempt to predict Vision Pro's future, but I think it would be foolish to write it's obituary at this stage.

Second, they're not all going to be hits. Steve Jobs demonstrated that plenty of times. Along with the original Macintosh, the G4 Cube was a tough sell too. As well as the iPod Hi-Fi and buttonless iPod shuffle. These weren't as ambitious as Vision Pro, but they were misses. But overall, I think Tim is allowed one miss out of all the successes he's had.

And third, yes, there were rumors of products Apple was working on that were ultimately delayed or cancelled. But this is nothing new. Apple, as well as every other tech company, has experimented with new ideas and cancelled them behind the scenes. Now is it more embarrassing that Apple announced AirPower publicly and cancelled it? Yes. But I'm old enough to remember Steve Jobs promising over and over again to put a G5 processor in a PowerBook, and he failed on that promise, hence the switch to Intel. And another thing, I think rumors of projects spread like wildfire in today's landscape just because everyone is so connected with the internet and social media. Back in the day, it was a lot easier to contain leaks. I'm sure there were plenty of ideas that we've never even heard about during Steve Jobs' tenure.

Long rant over. TL;DR- Too early to call the visionOS platform a flop, Apple isn't doomed, Tim Cook has done an amazing job operating the company, not every product idea sees the light of day

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.