Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
I think people forget that they are CUSTOMER satisfaction scores. If someone’s still using an 8 year old Mac and don’t want to buy anything Apple’s selling, they’re not a customer and, as a result, not included in the satisfaction scores. :)
That's a cute little "fact" you made up out of thin air. I had no idea the ACSI's statistical methodology was fabricated in your imagination.

bg1419

macrumors member
May 7, 2019
Tim had high hopes with the Apple Vision Pro but it failed spectacularly. It lacks a killer feature, it lacks a purpose, and it is just too expensive for a toy.

Apple had to cancel multiple products in order to give all resources to the development of this flop device: Apple's Car, the Charging Pad, even the iPhone mini 14 and 15 were canceled because of this.

There might even be a link to Jony Ive's departure from Apple, because he wanted nothing to do with "that stupid goggles".

Tim was chasing the pink dragon with this, now Apple is in a sort of dead end:

Phones without real innovation.

Computers with soldered 8 gigs of RAM.

Watches, that tell the world: this person is a nerdy nerd.

And Apple TV without any serious sports league.

How long can Apple survive with this Mediocrity?

Who will be the next CEO?
You seem like a real optimist

Reactions: KeithBN

Teejaye

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2020
Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles
Tim had high hopes with the Apple Vision Pro but it failed spectacularly. It lacks a killer feature, it lacks a purpose, and it is just too expensive for a toy.

Apple had to cancel multiple products in order to give all resources to the development of this flop device: Apple's Car, the Charging Pad, even the iPhone mini 14 and 15 were canceled because of this.

There might even be a link to Jony Ive's departure from Apple, because he wanted nothing to do with "that stupid goggles".

Tim was chasing the pink dragon with this, now Apple is in a sort of dead end:

Phones without real innovation.

Computers with soldered 8 gigs of RAM.

Watches, that tell the world: this person is a nerdy nerd.

And Apple TV without any serious sports league.

How long can Apple survive with this Mediocrity?

Who will be the next CEO?
And how much tinfoil do you use on a daily basis?

• Haha
Reactions: KeithBN and za9ra22

macnomad

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2023
Cheshire, UK
Actually I would say all phones are "boring" as we are in the refinement stage of smartphones at least IMHO and in this article I feel states it pretty well. Of course we all have our preferences so you may be quite happy to change when upgrade time comes. I'm fine for awhile yet. ;)

The Best Phones Have Boring Designs (And That's a Good Thing)

Just IMHO of course...
Yeah I agree. Im not doting on Android or anything else, it’s just iPhone is just so stale now to me. Android will at least offer a change and a challenge. Tbh I would love a Linux phone as I do plan to move to Linux for my desktop at some point as macOS feels a bit stale now to me. Perhaps it’s just because I’ve been Apple for so long and just need a change. The money side isn’t such an issue as desktop’s aren’t exactly cheap and neither are decent android phones. It’s just the stale os’s that are giving me itchy feet.

Reactions: decafjava

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
I think people forget that they are CUSTOMER satisfaction scores. If someone’s still using an 8 year old Mac and don’t want to buy anything Apple’s selling, they’re not a customer and, as a result, not included in the satisfaction scores. :)
One would assume a customer who is still using an 8 year old device is fairly satisfied with it.

canpoyrazoglu

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2019
I think it's too early for anyone to judge the success of AVP. Let's wait a few generations to see where it goes. If it's still lacking a purpose, say, after 5-6 years, then it might really be a failure.

Reactions: kc9hzn and KeithBN

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
That's a cute little "fact" you made up out of thin air. I had no idea the ACSI's statistical methodology was fabricated in your imagination.

It sounds like common sense to me. How would such a person get into the satisfaction score? How are they done? Do they let just anyone self identify as a customer? Unless I find data indicating otherwise, it seems like a reasonable assumption.

bunce66

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
it's way to early to say if Apple Vision Pro is a success or not. It will take time for it to fully build out.

AirPods were a massive success, so was the Watch. So was the transition to Apple Silicon.

Above all the Apple stock price is up like 900% since he became CEO.

There are few companies that match that level of performance, and you obviously don't understand how business works if you think he was a failed CEO.

Nobody really cares about the iPhone 14 mini since they barely sold any of the 12 and 13 mini. It's laughable you think that's a key point that needs to be mentioned.

JustAnExpat

Suspended
Nov 27, 2019
it's way to early to say if Apple Vision Pro is a success or not. It will take time for it to fully build out.

AirPods were a massive success, so was the Watch. So was the transition to Apple Silicon.

Above all the Apple stock price is up like 900% since he became CEO.

There are few companies that match that level of performance, and you obviously don't understand how business works if you think he was a failed CEO.

Nobody really cares about the iPhone 14 mini since they barely sold any of the 12 and 13 mini. It's laughable you think that's a key point that needs to be mentioned.
The problem with the Vision Pro is that it doesn't pass the elevator pitch test.

What does the Apple Vision Pro offer that the competitions don't offer, and why is it a value to the user?

Apple isn't communicating that - at least to the general public.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
No, it’s here.

And if someone has not purchased a computer in 2023, I doubt they would be able to provide information to them regarding how satisfied they are with the computer they DIDN’T purchase in 2023 :D

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021

The end of Tim Cook's reign is near...i bet you are thinking this way for a decade and still counting​

The reign will be over when he will be old enough and he will let other to be CEO

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
It sounds like common sense to me. How would such a person get into the satisfaction score? How are they done? Do they let just anyone self identify as a customer? Unless I find data indicating otherwise, it seems like a reasonable assumption.
It’s moronic framing. A person is using a product of a brand and therefore isn’t a customer? And therefore has no validity in a survey about a brand?

Nevermind that this person just made it up rather than visit the website and learn about their statistical methodology—it’s just plain stupid.

Why would they come up with that?

And then why would you support it?

You know how Apple makes their money? By selling to existing customers. Yes, existing customers buy over and over, buy existing products and new products. Are you using an 8 year old laptop and satisfied with Apple? Then who are you buying the next laptop from, genius?

And you know what else you buy within those 8 years? AirPods! Homepods! AppleTV! AppleTV+! iCloud! iPhone! iPad! AppleWatch!

Last edited:

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
No, it’s here.

And if someone has not purchased a computer in 2023, I doubt they would be able to provide information to them regarding how satisfied they are with the computer they DIDN’T purchase in 2023 :D
Apple has been #1 for the past 20 years (or whatever) was the discussion.

How does this tangent prove Cook is doing a bad job?

The only people not satisfied are hardcore gamers and MacRumors members.

Reactions: kc9hzn and KeithBN

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Y’all hate on OP but you can’t deny he is right about Apple Vision, I tried it in person, that thing is a joke, and yet they ask 3.5k for it.
A broken clock is right twice a day, but it's still a broken clock.

And I have to say I don't think the OP was even right about Apple Vision. I doubt it was expected to be a consumer product in any of the conventional senses, so measured against that market it's never going to do all that well at that price, and nobody can sensibly think Apple don't actually know that.

Firstly, I think they invested a ton of money in it and had reached the point there was not much option but release it. Their market isn't us, it's to developers and content producers, to a marketplace which is essentially where the software and use functions are going to come from in the weeks, months and even the years ahead.

In the meantime, having trialed out the hardware solutions in this model, it'll give a platform of experience to refine and improve it - and reduce the price to the consumer.

Taken as it is today, in a market broadly defined by recessions and high rates of inflation in western economies, it could never succeed in the simple terms the OP is judging it. But unless the OP is a spectacular genius and Apple are exceedingly stupid, that isn't the right basis to judge it.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
No real answers about methodology.
I suspect they're a bit reticent to divulge the methodology given it's a for-profit commercial operation, so there's an intellectual property issue, but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Customer_Satisfaction_Index takes a stab at it.

There's an obvious question as to how exactly do they 'screen' to determine someone is an actual customer, but it does seem to be a widely accepted and respected methodology. Not least I'd guess since it is drawn from academia rather than from simple business models.

• Love
Reactions: 6749974

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
iPhone is just so stale now to me. Android will at least offer a change and a challenge. Tbh I would love a Linux phone as I do plan to move to Linux for my desktop at some point as macOS feels a bit stale now to me. Perhaps it’s just because I’ve been Apple for so long and just need a change. The money side isn’t such an issue as desktop’s aren’t exactly cheap and neither are decent android phones. It’s just the stale os’s that are giving me itchy feet.
Most users don’t want their phones or computers to be “challenges” to use.
There is a reason Apple doesn’t change their interface fundamentals but maybe once a decade now.
The vast majority of their billions of consumers don’t like change.

Reactions: decafjava

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I doubt it. I'm full of piss and vinegar at this point bc there's not a product Apple makes that makes sense for me to buy anymore, and even I don't think Tim is going anywhere. The money is too good. Apple today isn't what Apple was back when it made products to suit nerds like me. It serves different needs, has different motivations, in different markets, and driven by different personalities and trends. As long as the kids keep buying whatever apple is making this year, and subscribing to things, then shareholders see big fat numbers that excite them to put their gambling money on Apple, and the owner class is happy with Tim. He could fire the entire design team and replace them with a focus group of middle schoolers and it'd probably be just as successful. Maybe they even have, idk.

Reactions: Algr and Seamaster
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.