Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
there's nothing like that around here. Theres a mini with 4gb of ram and 256gb ssd for 225.00. It's a 2014. Is that fully upgradeable inside? he claims it is. If so, I can probably make something decent out of that one. Also, do you think I could opencore ventura onto it?

I've heard of people using OCLP down to 2008 Macs to run Monterey. I think that Ventura was a lot harder as they had to emulate maybe AVX or one of the other SIMD instruction sets which took some time. You should look at the pinned thread in the Ventura forum. I did get OCLP Monterey running on my 2015 MacBook Pro (Monterey is supported but I wanted Airplay to Mac which isn't supported on my model but it works with OCLP).

MacHosehead

macrumors member
May 21, 2022
Can I do a decent Hackintosh with this old girl? I am fine with a version or two before ventura on it as well.
I have a NUC3 with a i3-3217U and HD4000 running OC and Big Sur. Big Sur is the last OS to support the GPU but patches might be possible for another OS. You can start with the Dortania guide here:

He doesn't go into some of the kexts you will need for a laptop to make the keyboard and trackpad work. You might look at the OC EFI for the Aspire 3 to see the kexts used in that laptop relating to VoodooPS2.

Nick6548

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2023
So, I am planning to build a custom hackintosh inside an old MacPro case, like many other people seem to have done.

I haven't yet bought the MacPro case, or motherboard, but I am holding off temporarily until I can get more information on how to connect everything together, and the only bit I am struggling with so far is the front panel IO. Some of the builds I have seen on here seem to either have their own custom PCB with USB and the power button, which I do not have the expertise to do myself. Either that or they don't give any information about it at all, suggesting they just left it.

There is a custom adapter from BlackCH Mods that does the exact thing I want for the PowerMac G5, but I have had a hard time finding options on eBay for a G5 in reasonable condition near me. Is there anything like this for any of the later Mac Pros? Or an easier solution than soldering my own USBs onto a custom PCB?

I would greatly appreciate any help...

Reactions: TheStork

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
So, I am planning to build a custom hackintosh inside an old MacPro case, like many other people seem to have done.

I haven't yet bought the MacPro case, or motherboard, but I am holding off temporarily until I can get more information on how to connect everything together, and the only bit I am struggling with so far is the front panel IO. Some of the builds I have seen on here seem to either have their own custom PCB with USB and the power button, which I do not have the expertise to do myself. Either that or they don't give any information about it at all, suggesting they just left it.

There is a custom adapter from BlackCH Mods that does the exact thing I want for the PowerMac G5, but I have had a hard time finding options on eBay for a G5 in reasonable condition near me. Is there anything like this for any of the later Mac Pros? Or an easier solution than soldering my own USBs onto a custom PCB?

I saw 5 under $100 on the NY - New England Craigslist. So they are out there. You just have to be willing to pick them up.

TheStork

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008

Review others' builds here:

and here:

Reactions: bmoraski

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 4.52.03 PM.png

no wifi...

I thought 2019 iMac had Broadcom card?

Last edited:
Reactions: Flint Ironstag

MacHosehead

macrumors member
May 21, 2022
no wifi...

I thought 2019 iMac had Broadcom card?
I had no problems installing Sonoma on my Coffee Lake hackintosh but like many, no wifi. There does not appear to be a drop-in card that the OS will automatically support. I had an Intel wifi card I got to work with itlwm:

and

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
I had no problems installing Sonoma on my Coffee Lake hackintosh but like many, no wifi. There does not appear to be a drop-in card that the OS will automatically support. I had an Intel wifi card I got to work with itlwm:

and

I’ve got a wifi-usb adapter for now, but also have an intel card on the way so I’ll be covered whether intel or broadcom ends up being the better choice in the end

Apr 12, 2023
10th gen would be ideal for me, If I don't like macOS, I can just revert to windows, and move along. I think I will look for a dell system around locally with a 10th gen and see how I like it.

P.S. It has to be HD graphics too and not Iris correct?

MacHosehead

macrumors member
May 21, 2022
10th gen would be ideal for me, If I don't like macOS, I can just revert to windows, and move along. I think I will look for a dell system around locally with a 10th gen and see how I like it.
I would think you might have an easier time of it if you took a different approach. I would try to find someone who has previously had good results with a notebook and maybe is sharing their work on somewhere such as GitHub.

P.S. It has to be HD graphics too and not Iris correct?
Generally, graphics have to match or be able to be spoofed to something Apple is using.

Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 9.27.00 AM.png
I think I would want to install Ventura with a Broadcom wifi card for better results. Broadcom wifi cards will eventually get patched for Sonoma but I doubt they will work as well.

Apr 12, 2023
I would think you might have an easier time of it if you took a different approach. I would try to find someone who has previously had good results with a notebook and maybe is sharing their work on somewhere such as GitHub.

Generally, graphics have to match or be able to be spoofed to something Apple is using.

View attachment 2220943
I think I would want to install Ventura with a Broadcom wifi card for better results. Broadcom wifi cards will eventually get patched for Sonoma but I doubt they will work as well.
Thanks for the information. There is a guy on youtube that has macOS running on both an XPS 13 and XPS 15 2 in 1 with touchscreen etc all working. Sounds like my kind of mac!

Apr 12, 2023
Sorry for all the questions, is it the same process to patch new MacOS to unsupported hardware? or is it easier to install on an older mac? I just found a 2015 MBP for 300 bucks OBO where I can install a larger Ssd in it and pop on current MacOS.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
If anyone is interested to know, broadcom wifi has been patched and is basically fully working in Sonoma now

By basically fully working I mean I haven’t found anything yet that doesn’t work the same as in Ventura

maybe there’s something I haven’t checked yet

Reactions: TheStork

pywm

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2023
Hi all, I have difficulty getting the answer on dual CPU sleep on the internet. There are conflicting information about whether sleep can work in a dual CPU hackintosh.

My Mac Pro 4,1 just died, I want to replace it with an X99 dual CPU system using the Chinese Huananzhi F8D PLUS motherboard with two E5-2690V4 and DDR4 RAM. My goal is to run Monterey and/or Ventura with proper sleep. I am thinking of using the MacPro5,1 SMBIOS as it has native dual CPU support. Can this be done?

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
Hi all, I have difficulty getting the answer on dual CPU sleep on the internet. There are conflicting information about whether sleep can work in a dual CPU hackintosh.

My Mac Pro 4,1 just died, I want to replace it with an X99 dual CPU system using the Chinese Huananzhi F8D PLUS motherboard with two E5-2690V4 and DDR4 RAM. My goal is to run Monterey and/or Ventura with proper sleep. I am thinking of using the MacPro5,1 SMBIOS as it has native dual CPU support. Can this be done?
Can’t answer your question, but I suspect you’d be better off with a single CPU from a more modern generation, both in terms of sleep compatibility and general performance. Sleep support seems the hardest thing to get working at the best of times.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017

I don’t know anything specific about dual cpu

but I do know that even some older real Macs struggle with sleep on newer macOS (instant wake issues, efi wake from sleep panics, etc)

pmset is the most mysterious of black magics that is barely even tuned in each os for whatever current Macs are meant to be supported. one "bad" pci or usb device can throw it for a loop

not your question but I wonder why you want/need dual cpu. plenty of cheaper newer single cpus can surely handle whatever you need?

pywm

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2023
Can’t answer your question, but I suspect you’d be better off with a single CPU from a more modern generation, both in terms of sleep compatibility and general performance. Sleep support seems the hardest thing to get working at the best of times.
I have priced an X99 dual CPU system and a 13th Gen Intel system. To get comparable multi-core performance, a newer system costs 3x more for the barebone components ex-GPU and storage. A newer system has faster single-core performance and a bit better power efficiency at load, that's pretty much it. For the X99, I get three x16 PCIe 3 and three x8 PCIe 3 slots, plus two 2.5G network port and 2x NVME slots directly to the CPU.

In fact, if I sell my current working MacPro4,1 with 96GB RAM, I could pretty much cover the barebone cost of the new X99 systems which I plan to mod into the dead MacPro case. (Mac Pro price is higher in Australia).

Given the dual xeon Mac Pro 5,1 can do sleep and power management properly in both Monterey and Ventura, shouldn't it also be possible for a X99 system?

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
I have priced an X99 dual CPU system and a 13th Gen Intel system. To get comparable multi-core performance, a newer system costs 3x more for the barebone components ex-GPU and storage. A newer system has faster single-core performance and a bit better power efficiency at load, that's pretty much it. For the X99, I get three x16 PCIe 3 and three x8 PCIe 3 slots, plus two 2.5G network port and 2x NVME slots directly to the CPU.

Well, it comes down to a) what you are using the machine for, and b) how much your time is worth. If you're building it as a hobby then neither really matter, but if you have a specific use-case it may be worth just saving up and buying better supported hardware.

Given the dual xeon Mac Pro 5,1 can do sleep and power management properly in both Monterey and Ventura, shouldn't it also be possible for a X99 system?

I don't follow. The Mac Pro 1,1 - 5,1 prove macOS is capable of sleeping a dual CPU Intel system, so in that sense it's possible. But the 5,1 doesn't use X99, and given that sleep support comes down to very specific factors, it tells you nothing about whether it will be possible in practice.

Reactions: PizzaUndervolt

PizzaUndervolt

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2020
Milano, Italy

Because no one that knows how to do hackintosh properly - thus, understanding some basics of computers - would ever build a dual cpu machine for a consumer operative system.
Just don't.
Source: i build hackintosh for living and have been through too many chinese X99 boards when at least single socket configs 2678v3 and ddr3 made sense against i9 9900

Now, i5 12400fhas same multicore and double singlecore at much lower power, same mem bandwith with ddr5 compared to quad channel ddr3/ddr4, and just much better quality boards (chinese x99 have got WORST, not better, since 2019)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.