Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Cappy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2015
Dunwich Fish Market
Here’s some data: my iPad shows no discernible performance gain compared to last week. I’ve had apps crash and I’ve had my iPad restart itself whilst watching a video, which hadn’t happened before.

People saying things are “feelings”. Feelings aren’t concrete data.
I'm curious to know if "no discernible performance gain" is your own "feeling" or if you've actually done some testing. Don't castigate someone for doing something you're doing too.

Reactions: Kal Madda

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
Well so far, iPadOS 17 is *****. iTunes screwed - doesn't recognize iPad. Sony WX-1000XM4 headphones screwed - no Bluetooth pairing. Smelling like Yosemite (6 months with no WiFi on my iMac).

UPDATE: Used the Sony App. Back in business. My brick can now connect to my Sony WX-1000XM4 headphones. But I can’t load up any music because my brick won‘t connect to iTunes (on Mojave) !

Last edited:

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
I seem to be in a minority here but here goes: I love it.

I have it on an M1 iPad Pro 11“. The first beta worked flawlessly bar apps would just crash after maybe 20 minutes of use. The latest beta seems to have cured this.

The additional widgets on the lock screen are so helpful I wish I could have them on the desktop. And speaking of the desktop you can position widgets (but not apps) anywhere you like. As in they don’t just float to the top: you can have them in the corners or in a row at the bottom.

Stage manager is a lot better. I use an external display every day at work and whilst the invisible grid is still present the OS isn’t as aggressive at resizing and repositioning windows. You have a lot more control.

The other iOS17-wide upgrades are nice. Being able to cache maps is incredibly useful. I haven’t had any app compatibility problems at all nor has the OS crashed. Ports are working as advertised.

There are still some massive flaws that need rectifying across iPadOS in general. Notifications should sit with Widgets on the dashboard instead of the lock screen. New apps should just open over existing ones instead of pushing windows over to the stage view. Control centre doesn’t open on external displays.

On the whole though it’s a nice meaningful update. And you can put widgets where you like!

Reactions: Kal Madda
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.