Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
its just no where similar to the ios/mac or pc.. I personally dont care for it much rather have a laptop..

The modern open and save system is in fact quite similar in functionality to macOS - you don’t have an explicit open command but rather by creating a new window in an app gets you the file browser.
Save/move works very similarly as well.

Further If you’d rather have a laptop why are you complaining about iPads?

Reactions: sparksd

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
And it never will:

Considering that iPads sell better than Macs do, I don't see Apple doing anything more with iPad than we've seen so far.

Maybe incremental, iPadOS-style proprietary ways of manipulating files and installing plugins like you do on a Mac. But these will only get added over many years if ever.

And to be fair to Apple, a for-profit business like all the others, there genuinely and clearly is two separate demographics for iPad and Macs, even if the separation is by software and the hardware is identical.

Expecting Apple to cannibalize sales of two very successful products is futile.

Once Apple lets iPads run macOS, or combines a MacBook with an iPad, there's no more selling consumers on buying two $1000-$2000-ish devices.

We'd settle for one do-it-all "MacPad Pro" and what trillion dollar bottomline wants that?
I get that Apple might not want to cannibalize the MacBook Air but for me at least t would mean that I spend more money on Apple equipment not less. I would definitely dump my MacBook Air and replace it with the 13" iPad Pro but I still need a Mac so I would likely buy a powerful desktop. Right now all my work is on-site so I'm just using my MacBook Air but I have a 2013 Mac Pro that I used for years on my home office desk. A Mac mini pro or a Mac Studio would be very likely.

Like I said, for me, there is no iPad Pro. I can't use it for the thing I'm a pro at. I would love to get all the advantages of the iPad Pro: pencil, OLED touchscreen, portability, and detachability and still be able to carry one device for remote work. So Apple gets me to buy an iPad mini instead of shelling out big bucks for a high-end spec iPad Pro.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Microsoft Gimp even the cloud apps (even with a O365 subscription) whatever hardware and Operating system you use. Office apps on android are horrible and even on a Mac they are not the same as windows version.
Oh that’s crappy. I use desktop apps at work and so far they’re still fully functional.

Reactions: JD2015

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
The big question is that, technically, well, sort of, would a FULLY Pro iPad Pro have the M4 Pro chip.

Caveat #1 - Apple wants this device to be thin and I don’t think they will depart from that. So I don’t think they could do Pro chip because of thermals.

Caveat #2 - the 14” MBP starts with M3, not Pro, so they consider that a Pro machine.

I’m not thinking that we will see a M Pro series chip in the iPad Pro soon, if at all.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Apple sells roughly double the number of iPads than of Macs:
But Macs cost significantly more on average, so tend to result in higher revenue.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You guys are overthinking it. MacOS already supports iPad/iOS apps, Apple just needs to implement the opposite in iPadOS (that is to say, enable execution of Mac Apps).
You mean a feature that only worked a couple minor version inside big sur before developer flocks to disable macOS support for their iOS apps?

Reactions: AlumaMac

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I use Microsoft Excel a lot. I could never use it on my iPad Pro because it doesn’t support macros or creating pivot tables. Is there a reason for this? Is it an iOS limitation or Microsoft not wanting to put in the effort for feature parity with the desktop version?
It's the latter. It's likely all based on some cost-benefit analysis. VBA is a can of worms where it's difficult to decide where one should draw the line, so I can understand if they're reluctant to support macros.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Sounds like a developer issue. Apple built the tools, the developer needs to choose to use them.
It’s clearly an Apple issue since they announced the change to allow developer to opt in. Prior to that, nearly every iOS and iPadOS app could be installed and used on Big Sur with various degree of usability. Now, it’s a shadow of what it once was.

Reactions: AlumaMac

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
These are unrealistic comparisons since most of the people don't game on these ipads but a minority since the gaming market on the mobile platform barely utilize the M series power processing and we know zero about what will happen during the WWDC event , all money is ipadOS will only get a few more features and that's it.

This device is a powerhouse browsing netflix machine and nothing else no matter how you want to spin it.
I hear you but I doubt many people need to buy the Pro models if they need to browse Netflix. And those that use it for productivity do benefit from the M series. As for your quote “most of the people don’t game on these iPads..” - I would say, generalizations like this serve a narrative and not actual facts. Everyone “I” know game on their iPads. It’s a multimedia power house AND I personally have every AAA game released for the M series iPads. Apple also is making a major push into the gaming industry as touted by Jozwiack and Ternus (VP of marketing and hardware respectively) in several interviews. So yea….

Reactions: Shirasaki and max2

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It's the latter. It's likely all based on some cost-benefit analysis. VBA is a can of worms where it's difficult to decide where one should draw the line, so I can understand if they're reluctant to support macros.
I can see that re: macros but pivot tables? You can view them, you just can’t create them. Makes no sense.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
True, but seems like a lot has been lost in translation.
On the ATP podcast they were talking about different behaviors between macOS and iOS/iPadOS, like apps running in the background. Perhaps there are non-UI related things that Apple could tweak, at least on the iPad Pro, to better support the functionality pro apps have on macOS.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
or apple didnt aprove excel with vba support cause you could "create" apps and side step app aproval process. apple doesnt even allow web browser to use their own rendering engine.

Reactions: Shirasaki

off3nc3

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2014
Romania
I hear you but I doubt many people need to buy the Pro models if they need to browse Netflix. And those that use it for productivity do benefit from the M series. As for your quote “most of the people don’t game on these iPads..” - I would say, generalizations like this serve a narrative and not actual facts. Everyone “I” know game on their iPads. It’s a multimedia power house AND I personally have every AAA game released for the M series iPads. Apple also is making a major push into the gaming industry as touted by Jozwiack and Ternus (VP of marketing and hardware respectively) in several interviews. So yea….

The usage stats on the mobile gaming platform for apple is out there you can look it up , only a minority is actually gaming on the ipad compared to iphones.

What gaming push ? MacOS is terrible for gaming and is aeons behind desktop PC's , apple having a triple AAA game ported once in a blue moon doesn't mean anything for the gaming market let alone for the IOS/ipadOS store first of all macs have very underpowered graphic cards and will never ever rival nvidia. Apple has nothing to bring to the gaming markets literally nothing.

You are just trolling at this point.

The problem is some of you think this device is designed to replace a desktop or high end laptop for work loads which is not the case and never will be. These ipads are meant for browsing , watching movies and to consume online media very few actually work on them besides a few artists and video editors for their own youtube channels , it's a very niche product and it will never replace a fully fledged laptop or a desktop PC with a working OS.

Also the limited ipadOS is the nail on the coffin for the productivity of this tablet and always has been , there is a reason why the mac line-up is on macos and the ipad is on ipados they will never do a crossover because they would gimp their main productivity lineup aka the laptops.

Like I said you are arguing for the sake of arguing but you have no plausible arguments but then again this forum lost all credibility years ago when it started to get filled with soccer moms and dadbods.

Last edited:

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
And iOS was macOS adapted for a phone and touch. So yeah, iPadOS is macOS adapted for touch.

Only the lowest layers of the OS made it from macOS to iOS. All the UI stuff as well as apps/memory management and other things are completely different.

On the other hand, iPadOS shares almost everything with iOS.

So while you can accurately say that iPadOS has macOS foundations, it is very clear that iPadOS is a much closer sibling to iOS than it is to macOS, and it is a bit of a stretch to say "iPadOS is macOS adapted for touch".

Also, if you are willing to have such a lose definition of what adapted means, in that case you might as well go to the top of the inheritance tree and say "iPadOS is Unix adapted for touch".

Last edited:

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
or apple didnt aprove excel with vba support cause you could "create" apps and side step app aproval process. apple doesnt even allow web browser to use their own rendering engine.

This is an interesting explanation, but I just googled it and it doesn't seem like the Android version supports VBA either, so unless we want to assume Google has similar restrictions, this is pointing towards a Microsoft decision not to support it on mobile platforms.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
The usage stats on the mobile gaming platform for apple is out there you can look it up , only a minority is actually gaming on the ipad compared to iphones.

What gaming push ? MacOS is terrible for gaming and is aeons behind desktop PC's , apple having a triple AAA game ported once in a blue moon doesn't mean anything for the gaming market let alone for the IOS/ipadOS store first of all macs have very underpowered graphic cards and will never ever rival nvidia. Apple has nothing to bring to the gaming markets literally nothing.

You are just trolling at this point.

The problem is some of you think this device is designed to replace a desktop or high end laptop for work loads which is not the case and never will be. These ipads are meant for browsing , watching movies and to consume online media very few actually work on them besides a few artists and video editors for their own youtube channels , it's a very niche product and it will never replace a fully fledged laptop or a desktop PC with a working OS.

Also the limited ipadOS is the nail on the coffin for the productivity of this tablet and always has been , there is a reason why the mac line-up is on macos and the ipad is on ipados they will never do a crossover because they would gimp their main productivity lineup aka the laptops.

Like I said you are arguing for the sake of arguing but you have no plausible arguments but then again this forum lost all credibility years ago when it started to get filled with soccer moms and dadbods.
“usage stats on the mobile gaming platform” -

according to statistics.com mobile game revenue was $140.5 Billion in 2022. And according to the same site Apple App Store accounted for the largest share of consumer spending on mobile games. As for iPads, Apple has shipped more than 150 million iPads in the years 2021 - 2023. Guess which were their best sellers? The ones with the M series chips. I know, I know, facts can be inconvenient.

“MacOS is terrible for gaming and is aeons behind desktop PC's” -

Seems like bias, or wishful thinking. The newer Mac’s can and do run AAA games very well. Not sure if you’re willfully ignoring all the content out there demonstrating this or just have no interests on a contradicting (yet accurate) truth. Sure we all know that PC is far ahead, but that was never the debate.

“Also the limited ipadOS is the nail on the coffin for the productivity” -

I would disagree. I use my iPad for productivity daily and its focus oriented design allows me to singularly pour all my energy into the task at hand. That’s what it was originally designed for; a mission statement of sorts. So you’re applying conditions to a device that it was never designed for. The error is yours to bear.

“These ipads are meant for browsing , watching movies and to consume online media very few actually work on them” -

Again with these assertions and generalizations based on what and how you ‘feel’. The amount of productivity apps available in the App Store says otherwise. Sure they ARE great for browsing, movie viewing and media consumption. But the culmination of Apple’s vision was to design a ‘magical’ sheet of glass that could do anything. Everyone that ‘I‘ know uses their iPads for virtually everything because of its versatility and portability. And with the M4 we could push it further. I tutor on some weekends and FaceTime w/ Freeform is invaluable. I edit videos and create worksheets for students. I use CAD software to design and I game w/my ps4 controller. And in my dealings with people in my community you see the same level of usage on their iPads. Sure I use a laptop at times but my primary device is the iPad Pro 12.9 2TB cell.

“you are arguing for the sake of arguing but you have no plausible arguments but then again this forum lost all credibility years ago” -

This is an odd statement and says more about you than me or this forum. It’s odd that you would comment on a forum that has, in your words, ‘lost all credibility’. I disagree with your short sighted statements and NOW my arguments are just for the ‘sake’? Again if you’re comfortable forking over $1700 for a stand-alone 4090, then by all means go ahead. But don’t give us grief because we utilize our iPads beyond movies, or because they’ve made strides in bringing AAA titles over to this platform with more planned in the future. If you’re a PC shill, then great! I have “plausible arguments”that refute your lackluster views. Just don’t badger us with your hate for Apple. I happen to think they’re on the right track and can’t wait for WWDC.

“Soccer moms and dadbods” - incredibly ignorant statement but par for the course.

p.s. - designed 2 apps on my iPad too.

Last edited:

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
Apple sells roughly double the number of iPads than of Macs:
But Macs cost significantly more on average, so tend to result in higher revenue.
Your links require a subscription, but I'll take your word for it. It's been a few days, but wasn't the prior poster suggesting iPad was more financially significant for Apple?

Edit: I went and had a look. They said: "Considering that iPads sell better than Macs". They didn't say "sell more units but make quite a bit less money from them". It felt like you were challenging my remark, which wasn't necessary. Thanks anyway. :)

Last edited:

H_D

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
One aspect is the modular openness of the system.
I cannot add my own OTF fonts to iPadOS in a sensible and quick manner, there are workarounds, but even so, I am limited (individual fonts are not available in all apps, such as Books).
«Pro-Apps» like Final Cut and Logic Pro do not offer Plug-ins. On Mac, working with AUs like Native Instruments, additional third-party plug-ins in Photoshop and a ton of Generators etc in FCP is what makes these softwares great. And so on. Openness and modularity, the ability for other devs to piggyback on an existing structure and improve it massively, is what makes MacOS work so well. This is brutally lacking in iPadOS, which makes it safer but barely usable.

We would make a big, big leap, if iPadOS ran a full font management and Apple would work with Adobe to bring the full, non-watered-down versions of CC to iPad, as I surmise many people creatively still work with those. Sideloading and a software-ecosphere as versatile and open as on the Mac are what will. Make the iPad professional. It is not about MacOS vs iPadOS per Se, it is about what MacOS lets you DO ;-).

Reactions: AlumaMac and ric22

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

Nice condescending insult. Guess we can't all be great like you.

Reactions: ric22

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Random Q. Does anyone know if Apple has iPads connected to an external monitor in their stores? I'd love to try stage manager again on one of these iPads. It's been a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.