Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flamingdeathbolts

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2023
The most frequent for me would be every two years. The biggest reason I like to upgrade is the camera, which is my biggest use beyond regular phone stuff. I have a 14 pro now and will probably wait until the 16 series at least.
Same, I upgrade due to the camera. It is important for my side business to take good quality pics.

Yea the iPhone has gotten expensive, but out of my last 4 upgrades 3 of them I turned in my old phone on promo so I have never paid more than $300 for a new release iPhone. At $300 and less it’s completely worth the price.

JFLECHUGA

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2021
León (Spain)
With my last purchase, an iPhone SE 3, I decided to not purchase it new, and instead go through the open box route. I was literally waiting on the Apple Store for my turn to either purchase one of the last 13 mini remaining on the store, which at 800€ weren’t discounted at all (funny enough they were more expensive than the iPhone 14 that had just dropped in price) or just get a new SE3 for 500€, or 600€ for the 128GB version.

While I was waiting, I had the idea of checking on a nearby phone store that sells open box and second hand iPhones. So I told the Apple Store guy that I was leaving until it was my turn, and went to this store.

When I arrived to this phone store, I asked the employee to see the SE 3 units they had in store, so he showed me three or four phones. One of them was… new. Literally new. And the screen was gorgeous (not all LCD screens are the same, even on the same model). So I paid 300€ for this new iPhone SE3, which after checking with Coconut, had only 2 battery cycles. I was so happy with this purchase!!

With this option, I was able to compare the screens of different units, side by side, something you’re not able to do at an Apple Store (we all know the screen lottery, which is even worse on OLED models), and save between 200 and 500€ with this purchase.

Now I have a perfectly capable iPhone SE 3, the same machine as the iPhone 13 (the 14 has more RAM, and RAM will be very important in future iOS versions, so I don’t include it), at a much, much lower price. With the added benefit that I prefer LCD screens over OLED because they are much easier on my eyes.

I plan to keep this SE 3 for as long as I am able, being very careful as for when to update the iOS taking into account performance and battery life. Unless Apple releases a smaller iPhone 17, or 18, or the upcoming iPhone 16 OLED screen is really comfortable to use, I will be using this SE 3 for many, many years. Being an A15 device, I really expect it to last. Best 300€ spent in a long time, for sure!

PS: my previous iPhone 8, purchased new at the Apple Store, was significantly more expensive than this SE3, and used it for at least 5 years!!!

TL;DR: yes, I agree that nowadays, it makes little sense, at least for me, to spend a thousand bucks for an iPhone. Maybe if you need a rare model, with bigger storage and you have the money, go for it! But for me, it isn’t worth it, especially when Apple doesn’t offer an appealing enough device for me: I.e. a more compact form factor and a more comfortable screen for my eyes.

Edit: Excuse me, I just read the title of the thread but not the original post. I think my point is slightly different from OP’s.
Your reflection is very good, I liked it, I hope you continue to get what you want that way, since you can see the device before buying, and of course the price is very important, we don't have enough to change phones every year. A hug friend!!!

Reactions: Populus

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Retail price they are not worth it.

I buy and sell if need to on Facebook Marketplace, only buy locally with cash on pick up/delivery, check serials etc and also check seller, only buy if in mint condition.
Bought a 14 128gb for my daughter yesterday was new and $550AUD less than apple retail.
Bought my 15 pro max 512gb new for $1550AUD less than apple retail in early January.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.