Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Maybe the Mac Mini will come out the same time as the Mac (mini) Pro. When people realize they can't afford the Mac (mini) Pro or that the dual GPU is not going to do them much good for now, they can fall back on to the Mac Mini. (being playfully sarcastic here)

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
I think the new Mini is coming alongside the new Mac Pro with all of the attention going to the Pro with a silent upgrade for the Mini. I think Apple will release a new Thunderbolt Display with the Mini and Pro as well.

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
So if they release in March, wouldn't anyone who bought in late January and February return theirs? There's the logic flaw in your argument....

not exactly after you buy you have 14 days to return. except this time of year where you have almost 2 months...!

----------

That prediction needs some serious legs. I can't understand why Apple would wait until Spring '14 to release something they could have put out in Summer '13.

Is there some unknown tech boost that will arrive in Q2 '14? Why not just wait for the (possible) release of Broadwell in late '14?

The mini's lack of updating with Haswell processors is strange, the delay even stranger. We might see a complete redesign emerge with Broadwell after a long-long gap in upgrade; a more-logical event since the current i7 minis are already very powerful within the Mac lineup.

I agree with you i meant mid to late Q1 - my bad :(

----------

I think the new Mini is coming alongside the new Mac Pro with all of the attention going to the Pro with a silent upgrade for the Mini. I think Apple will release a new Thunderbolt Display with the Mini and Pro as well.

unlikely on the TB2 display since they re selling Sharp displays over in Europe :(

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006

I'll lose all expectation for a new Mini if it doesn't silently slide out under the MacPro palaver in another week.

There's a slim possibility they can upgrade next summer with the mysterious "Haswell Refresh", but why? Without a Haswell refresh this year, next year would be almost arbitrary or to perhaps fill a release slot in a part of the year where nothing new was slated to appear--to sate investor relations or business models

It wouldn't be unlike Apple to let a product slide more than a year before doing a complete redesign. A Broadwell mini could compress down into a tiny box or Darth Vader's Coke can.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
The availability on the online Applestore means nothing these days, when the iMac was refreshed in october all models were shipping in 24h. I don't remember the last time that we anticipated a refresh by looking at the availability.

I understand that it is a strange time for releasing an update, but it also a very strange time for releasing a completely new product like the Mac Pro isn't it?

Until monday i was thinking, like many of you, that the new mini was a 2014 thing, but trust me, a new mini is coming next week.

I hope you are right and my gut tells me a refresh is coming too. But who really knows? I'm predicting a silent update alongside availability of the new Mac Pro. We all know the Apple Store online will go down worldwide while they update the pages for the Mac Pro, might as well do the Mini at the same time.

I just checked PowerMax and they have 10+ of both the dual and quad base models plus 4 server models. MacConnection, MacMall, B&H Photo, Best buy, Amazon, J&R all advertise that the Mac Mini is readily available.

It looks like the online retailers are long on the Mac Mini to me.

Actually Amazon has no stock and they haven't for almost a month . That's unprecedented during the holiday shopping weeks just prior to Christmas and Hanukkah. Also Apple's refurb page has listed no Minis for the last 2 days. My theory why those resellers you mention have stock is that they don't sell through Minis as quick as Amazon and therefore have older stock remaining. Amazon burns through them at a greater rate and is not currently being replenished as they await the new models.

Lots of clues are pointing to a refresh.

Last edited:

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
If there is a new mini I will buy it so fast! If... it is better than the one I have, a late 2012 which I love totally.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I'll lose all expectation for a new Mini if it doesn't silently slide out under the MacPro palaver in another week.

There's a slim possibility they can upgrade next summer with the mysterious "Haswell Refresh", but why? Without a Haswell refresh this year, next year would be almost arbitrary or to perhaps fill a release slot in a part of the year where nothing new was slated to appear--to sate investor relations or business models

It wouldn't be unlike Apple to let a product slide more than a year before doing a complete redesign. A Broadwell mini could compress down into a tiny box or Darth Vader's Coke can.

An even tinier box? That would not be out of the realm of possibility given the slim fetish.

Now Darth Vader's Coke can - gimme! :D

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
An even tinier box? That would not be out of the realm of possibility given the slim fetish.

Now Darth Vader's Coke can - gimme! :D

of all the talk about Darth's refreshing beverage can, i don't really see how that could be physically possible with the current size of the components and maintaining enough airflow...

even if it was bigger than a can it would still have to be relatively similar in size to the nMP and that is just silly...

i don't think we'll see a redesign for some time yet to come.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well Apple is with their MacPro! :rolleyes:

With a base price of 3,000 dollars the nMP is not a consumer product and holiday sales have zero bearing on this - apples and oranges. Besides I think if Apple had its druthers it would have released this in October but for unknown reasons its been pushed back.

Mac Minis are a consumer product and being such, Christmas sales mean a lot. nMP is not and businesses will buy this when they need it, not for a given holiday.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
of all the talk about Darth's refreshing beverage can, i don't really see how that could be physically possible with the current size of the components and maintaining enough airflow...

even if it was bigger than a can it would still have to be relatively similar in size to the nMP and that is just silly...

Given the lack of attention to the Mini, a redesign is probably far away.

Regardless of whatever the redesign might be, the Mini is definitely the Mac I am reconsidering given the display issues with many Macs these days.

My response to the smaller nMP design is a hopeful joke. Not sure Apple would copy the nMP design for it's cheapest desktop, but it would be fun. Who knows?

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
Given the lack of attention to the Mini, a redesign is probably far away.

Regardless of whatever the redesign might be, the Mini is definitely the Mac I am reconsidering given the display issues with many Macs these days.

My response to the smaller nMP design is a hopeful joke. Not sure Apple would copy the nMP design for it's cheapest desktop, but it would be fun. Who knows?

agreed, i like you would like a redesign - it could be fun, but the one thing i don't want - and i think the biggest mini markets (farms and htpc) - is a tall version of the machine.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Who buys a Mac Pro for Christmas? A Mac Pro is one of those things that if you need it, you buy it whenever you can, not because you want to get it as a gift for someone.

I am weeping copious tears at the truth of what you're saying, as I want to be the someone who gets it as a gift.

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
I am weeping copious tears at the truth of what you're saying, as I want to be the someone who gets it as a gift.

hahaha, i played both logo max and 6/49 last week in the desperate hopes of getting me a nMP for christmas. but alas it was not meant to be.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Actually Amazon has no stock and they haven't for almost a month . That's unprecedented during the holiday shopping weeks just prior to Christmas and Hanukkah. Also Apple's refurb page has listed no Minis for the last 2 days.

On the other hand, Apple's online store shows all the standard options as available to ship in 24 hours and BTO in 1-3 days.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
hahaha, i played both logo max and 6/49 last week in the desperate hopes of getting me a nMP for christmas. but alas it was not meant to be.

Well I don't know anything about your personal circumstances, but here are some points to consider:

• Does Mom really need that insulin EVERY day?
  • Wouldn't it be a good thing for your kids to learn how to forage and hunt?
  • You can save a lot of money on your water bill by only showering when someone gets a court order
  • In many jurisdictions you can go three months without paying rent before you're evicted.
  • If you don't pay your mortgage the bank can foreclose on your house, but they can't touch your MacPro
  • One man's credit card fraud is another man's creativity.
  • Take a good, long, hard look at your kids. Is there really any point in saving for their education?
  • Does it make any sense that you have two kidneys and your computer doesn't even have ONE AMD FirePro?

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
Well I don't know anything about your personal circumstances, but here are some points to consider:

• Does Mom really need that insulin EVERY day?
  • Wouldn't it be a good thing for your kids to learn how to forage and hunt?
  • You can save a lot of money on your water bill by only showering when someone gets a court order
  • In many jurisdictions you can go three months without paying rent before you're evicted.
  • If you don't pay your mortgage the bank can foreclose on your house, but they can't touch your MacPro
  • One man's credit card fraud is another man's creativity.
  • Take a good, long, hard look at your kids. Is there really any point in saving for their education?
  • Does it make any sense that you have two kidneys and your computer doesn't even have ONE AMD FirePro?

ok, i literally burst out laughing over this..And i must say the lsat point about the kidneys was strangely convincing... i mean really TWO kidney and ZERO fire pro... that is just simply inconsiderate...

And

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2009
92 ft above sea level, UK
It's not going to happen in Dec:

1) It would be known as the 2013 mini and would feel out of date in Jan to the general public

2) All those minis bought for xmas would be returned.

ZipZilla

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2003
Continuining to wait.

I will continue to wait as long as it takes.

A new Mini will be my first new Mac since 2005 and will replace an ancient G5 iMac, which still works after 8 years.

I am holding out for a Haswell mini because I want to future proof my purchase and have the new computer last another 8 years. Also doesn't hurt that the bugs will continue to be worked out of Mavericks...perhaps the new Mini will ship with 10.9.1 or 10.9.2.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
On the other hand, Apple's online store shows all the standard options as available to ship in 24 hours and BTO in 1-3 days.
The US refurb store has had only the server version until today. Both non server models available again at a cheaper price than last week.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006

They'd have to ditch the hard drive and use only SSD, naturally. The fan is then the biggest piece inside, which shuffles design to be like in the MacPro.

A can could be possible, but it would be a can bigger than a Coke. Maybe a quart-oil can. Darth Vader's oil can.

Yeah, a major redesign like that is unlikely for another year or so.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
A lower refurbish price? Hmmm
Anyone looking to buy one should take advantage of the refurbished at that savings.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.