Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
Long time macrumors user here, but I do not usually follow this forum. I thought I'd see if anyone here can offer a suggestion for me.

I have been using 'The Print Shop' since Apple IIc in the '80s, and my kids have used it a ton in the recent past. From what I can tell, Broderbund (Encore) and MacKiev are locked in a lawsuit, and the software looks to become abandonware. I'm running Print Shop 3, but it is unstable on both of our computers (Mac Pro 5,1 and Mac mini). Print Shop 4 is 'not available' on MacKiev's website on account of the lawsuit with Encore. The current version of print shop on the Mac App store has not had an update in over a year, and is at this point over 4 years old. The app store has two reviews, the most recent being 2 years ago. I'm not optimistic about the future of this product.

That being said, do y'all have any suggestions for desktop publishing type software that does the sort of stuff that Print Shop did. I know it was kind of a wonky project, but it's used more than any other software in our house.

Thanks,

Reactions: SurLaPlage

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Mind blown that it was still around a few years ago. People today wouldn't understand how huge it was to be able to create things with it when computers at home were so not common.

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Shows unavailable at this time. Perhaps if I use a VPN?..
From inside Europe the order process is straight forward and US can be selected in the last step (that I don't like to do ;-). Yes, maybe you should try ordering through a proxy server or VPN…
ThePrintShop1.jpg
ThePrintShop1.jpg
ThePrintShop2.jpg
ThePrintShop3.jpg
ThePrintShop4.jpg

mike-601

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2021
Canada
Update on this old thread. Broderbund is now selling a brand-new version of The Print Shop for macOS, replacing the old version sold by MacKiev. You can buy it from their site: https://www.broderbund.com/the-print-shop-for-macintosh but you must buy a new copy and not an upgrade.

I assume the new version is comparable to the Windows version because it seems like a direct port - it does not feel like a Mac application.

This new version has been eagerly awaited by those still using the old app which was not compatible with Big Sur due to being 32 bit. But before anybody using the old version gets too excited, you should know that the new Broderbund app won't open your existing .PSF files! This eliminates any reason to upgrade to the new version - you might as well switch to a better program.

blanex

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2021
Update on this old thread. Broderbund is now selling a brand-new version of The Print Shop for macOS, replacing the old version sold by MacKiev. You can buy it from their site: https://www.broderbund.com/the-print-shop-for-macintosh but you must buy a new copy and not an upgrade.

I assume the new version is comparable to the Windows version because it seems like a direct port - it does not feel like a Mac application.

This new version has been eagerly awaited by those still using the old app which was not compatible with Big Sur due to being 32 bit. But before anybody using the old version gets too excited, you should know that the new Broderbund app won't open your existing .PSF files! This eliminates any reason to upgrade to the new version - you might as well switch to a better program.
And what program would that be? Seriously. I have been trying to figure out what to buy that is equivalent to PrintShop for about a year. I've used PrintShop since the 80s, both on PCs and Mac, and was really disappointed when I installed Catalina on the mac and lost all my old printshop files. Mainly address labels... I was so happy to see there is a new one, and very disappointed that you say I won't be able to open my old files if I buy the new version.

jjacobs1

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2021
Have you found a replacement? I just purchased the new printshop for Mac, and so far am disappointed. I knew I would lose all old printshop files, but this new version is so complicated. Not liking it.

ljdonato

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2013
On December 30th, I received an email from Software MacKiev about a free update to Print Shop 4.1, that makes the program true 64-bit and Monterey compatible. Strange thing is that if you go to their site, it is still not updated with this information. (I had requested to be emailed if/when an update was available)
I already downloaded the update (almost 5GB) but has not installed it, trying to be sure everything is legit. Did anyone else received this email? It checks all the precautions (it was from mackiev.com; it sent me to mackiev website and its update center; to be able to download it I needed to say "no" to a lot of marketing options about their other products, etc.)
Maybe this is the alternative that pertusis1 (original poster) and some of us have been waiting for?

Reactions: SurLaPlage

SurLaPlage

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2022
ljdontao- I finally gave up on them about 6 months ago. If it's true...I would be ecstatic! It's such a great little program. My situation: I have a 2011 iMac (used for the The print Shop). The iMac is stuck in Sierra 10.12.6. No more OS updates. I do have "Print Shop 4" installed on the 2011 and it's working pretty well. My compatible printer is a 2011 model too. Also, I had "Print Shop 4" installed on a MacBook. When I updated to Big Sur on the MacBook, Print Shop 4 quit working. So...you think it might work with Monterey? Did you install it yet?? Fingers crossed :) BTW do you have a link for the Monterey compatible update? Thanks so much for the current information.
On December 30th, I received an email from Software MacKiev about a free update to Print Shop 4.1, that makes the program true 64-bit and Monterey compatible. Strange thing is that if you go to their site, it is still not updated with this information. (I had requested to be emailed if/when an update was available)
I already downloaded the update (almost 5GB) but has not installed it, trying to be sure everything is legit. Did anyone else received this email? It checks all the precautions (it was from mackiev.com; it sent me to mackiev website and its update center; to be able to download it I needed to say "no" to a lot of marketing options about their other products, etc.)
Maybe this is the alternative that pertusis1 (original poster) and some of us have been waiting for?

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
I got the same email, and responded to it. Kind of a weird deal. Not totally sure I wasn’t just spammed, but it seemed to be from Mackiev. It put me on a list to download it in a few weeks. That was about two weeks ago.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I also got that email in December. Downloaded the 4.1 updater, and (finally) can update the iMac that we use for Printshop to Catalina (and beyond). Works very nicely, and apparently not handicapped like the version that Broderbund sells. (My wife - the Printshop user - reports that there are more graphics included with TPS now, too. )
One other point - Software MacKiev has stopped selling The Printshop to private users. According to their web site, they only sell that app to educational accounts. I think that is only in the US, but not sure about that.

seesara

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2022
I got the e-mail in December and held off upgrading to Big Sur. Then, I saw that there was a version that is compatible with Big Sur (I didn't notice that it was by Broderbund), so I figured it was safe to upgrade to Big Sur, which I did. Of course, my Print Shop 4 won't open anymore. I looked for the free upgrade, couldn't find it, so started an online chat with MacKiev. Here's what the MacKiev rep said: "I see you have filled pre-order forms so I assume your were using older TPS version and for these TPS versions the update or rather upgrade is indeed delayed. I clearly understand what has been sent to everyone, and I am sorry you still have to wait. But preparation for sending a compatible TPS version is still in progress and I can't tell you when we are fully ready to send the compatible version to you. All I know is that it will be sent for sure as promised, but later. I am sorry, our engineers are polishing it as we speak. I'm sorry that you have to wait, hope this can be compensated by a compatible TPS4.1 version that was promised." Fortunately, I have a bootable external drive that's still running a clone of the older 32-bit Mac OS, so when I want to use Print Shop, I'll reboot using that as my startup disk. That's my plan, anyway. I agree--I wish there were an alternative app to The Print Shop.

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
Not a Print Shop user...but wondering if anybody has tried Swift Publisher as a possible replacement?
Myself and my children have used it. It is pretty good software, and is a decent replacement for print shop. It just doesn’t have the intuitive ease of use that print shop had. By this I mean that my 10-year-old and 14-year-old have no trouble using the swift software. I have had a hard time adjusting. 🥴

SurLaPlage

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2022
For the Love of Print Shop (4.1).... OS relationships are so complicated💔😜. I still have my 2011 iMac with 4.1 Print Shop installed. In anticipation of finally buying a new iMac, I purchased a new hp printer and ditched my old 2011 epson. Suddenly, my Print Shop on the old iMac and the new printer are working together like they were made for each other. So happy about that surprise development. But how long can that relationship last?? So, I relented & bought a new iMac and installed Swift Publisher 5 and have been slowly trying to figure it out. It's a learning curve for sure...and if I eventually have to abandon Print Shop and my 2011 iMac, Swift 5 will be there for me. One feature it lacks is cutting around items from a picture or photo. I did a search and found out that that "lasso" option is available for FREE in "Preview" (in Mark Up). It's an added step but it works!! And so... the Print Shop saga continues.

SunnyNM

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2022
New Mexico
I am a very occasional user of The Print Shop 4 for Mac. Recently I've begun exploring what software I would need to update Mojave to a macOS that is 64-bit compatible. The Print Shop 4 was one such app. Last night on MacKiev's website I did a live chat and today I got a link to download an installer to update to version 4.1 which is 64-bit.
All seems good, but I have not used the app yet.

I have an email response from MacKiev from 2018 to my question about differences between Broderbund and MacKiev "The Print Shop" versions (kept it for historical reference).

The trademark owner, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, has chosen to license The Print Shop to multiple companies to create versions. Our is called The Print Shop for Mac (we do not make a Windows edition). The Broderbund name is proudly displayed on our product together with our own Software MacKiev logo since we are an official Broderbund licensee. I’m not sure how far your research took you, but I’m happy to provide some background:

Most people don't realize that "Broderbund" is no longer a company and hasn't been for quite some time. In 1998 its product lines were sold to another software publisher, and since then "Broderbund" has been just a brand name. Our company, Software MacKiev, worked as a contract developer on The Print Shop for Mac when it was still owned by Broderbund in 1997, and then a few years later, in 2002, we licensed the trademark from a company called Riverdeep, who had bought the rights to it, and set out to create ongoing Mac versions of The Print Shop that were true to the original versions. We've been doing that now as both the developer and publisher for well over a decade — nearly half the brand's life to date — and by most accounts we’re doing a pretty good job of it. Our editions have harvested a slew of awards, including the prestigious Macworld Best of Show Award.

Our The Print Shop for Mac and the other made by Encore are pretty different.

Hope this clears things up!

Regards,

Tyler

The Print Shop Team
@ Software MacKiev

SurLaPlage

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2022
I am a very occasional user of The Print Shop 4 for Mac. Recently I've begun exploring what software I would need to update Mojave to a macOS that is 64-bit compatible. The Print Shop 4 was one such app. Last night on MacKiev's website I did a live chat and today I got a link to download an installer to update to version 4.1 which is 64-bit.
All seems good, but I have not used the app yet.

I have an email response from MacKiev from 2018 to my question about differences between Broderbund and MacKiev "The Print Shop" versions (kept it for historical reference).

The trademark owner, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, has chosen to license The Print Shop to multiple companies to create versions. Our is called The Print Shop for Mac (we do not make a Windows edition). The Broderbund name is proudly displayed on our product together with our own Software MacKiev logo since we are an official Broderbund licensee. I’m not sure how far your research took you, but I’m happy to provide some background:

Most people don't realize that "Broderbund" is no longer a company and hasn't been for quite some time. In 1998 its product lines were sold to another software publisher, and since then "Broderbund" has been just a brand name. Our company, Software MacKiev, worked as a contract developer on The Print Shop for Mac when it was still owned by Broderbund in 1997, and then a few years later, in 2002, we licensed the trademark from a company called Riverdeep, who had bought the rights to it, and set out to create ongoing Mac versions of The Print Shop that were true to the original versions. We've been doing that now as both the developer and publisher for well over a decade — nearly half the brand's life to date — and by most accounts we’re doing a pretty good job of it. Our editions have harvested a slew of awards, including the prestigious Macworld Best of Show Award.

Our The Print Shop for Mac and the other made by Encore are pretty different.

Hope this clears things up!

Regards,

Tyler

The Print Shop Team
@ Software MacKiev
Thank you SO MUCH SunnyNM!!! So, I searched "Encore Print Shop for MAC" and a product that is compatible with Monterey came up. https://www.encore.com/the-print-shop-for-macintosh

It's $49.99. Is it too good to be true ...after all this time?! I haven't downloaded it... yet. $50 bucks and my fingers will be crossed!🤞 If it works...it will be worth every dollar. And I will let you know the results.
From the website:

The Print Shop for Macintosh​

Rating:
100%
3 Reviews Add Your Review
Design stunning print projects like never before with the brand-new The Print Shop Mac! For the newest version, we continued to pack in the most advanced advertising design tools and printing solutions for a truly incredible price. Create projects free of license limitations with over 10,000 royalty-free professional backgrounds and images, and thousands of unique royalty-free templates. Need to customize your outreach even further? Easily import personal photos, then color correct, crop, and alter them in any way you see fit to elevate your designs. With our photo editing tools, it’s easy to add gradients, as well as build frames with our custom border maker.
Note: Need to install the program on more than one computer? Add flexibility to use on up to 3 Macintosh computers in a single household. The option to add 3 licenses (Family Edition) is available in the drop-down menu below for an additional $20.The Print Shop For Macintosh runs on Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey OS's'.
As low as$49.99
Availability: In stock
SKU

SunnyNM

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2022
New Mexico
Thank you SO MUCH SunnyNM!!! So, I searched "Encore Print Shop for MAC" and a product that is compatible with Monterey came up. https://www.encore.com/the-print-shop-for-macintosh

It's $49.99. Is it too good to be true ...after all this time?! I haven't downloaded it... yet. $50 bucks and my fingers will be crossed!🤞 If it works...it will be worth every dollar. And I will let you know the results.
Not sure why you are getting the Encore/Broderbund version if you already have the MacKiev version 4.0 (32-bit) that you can update to 4.1 (64-bit), but yes, report back and let us know how it compares.

SurLaPlage

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2022
Hmmmm.....I have the MacKiev 4.1 (64-bit)version on my old 2011 Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 I don't think it's compatible with OS Monterey. Is it? Thanks.

SurLaPlage

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2022
Thanks! I had the 4.1 version on a MacBook with OS Big Sur and it quit working. So I assumed 4.1 wouldn't work on Monterey either. I will see what happens :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.