Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Do the iPad Pros (M4) have any functional advantage over the iPad Airs (M2) or even the last two iPad Pro Models (M2/M1) - meaning are there tasks you can do on an iPad Pro that you cannot do on an iPad Air? We know that the iPad Pros don’t add any new camera tech, no new screen functionality (always on), no new ports, no new specific OS functionality. The new Pencil Pro works on both the iPad Pros and iPad Airs. As someone who really likes iPadOs and the iPad as a platform in the current state (and I am not a proponent of adding MacOs to the IPad), I am struggling to see what an iPad Pro can do over a new iPad Air (the ”regular” iPad can’t do the same in terms of multitasking and camera and such, so this is really focused on Air vs Pro). I know the iPad Pro is just a nicer piece of kit, but I am struck at how there are not even battery or camera advantages for the iPad Pro this time around

pedregosa

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
I think you are right. The IPP M4 gives the premium hardware experience, but — unless you are in a very small subset of users for whom the M4 makes a difference — no significant greater capabilities. I downgraded from an IPP to an iPad 10 in 2022 because the old placement of the FT camera just did not work for me. The iPad 10 got the horizontal placement first. And I actually have liked the 10. But this year, I think I'm going to go to an Air, not back to an IPP.

Reactions: Tyler O'Bannon

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Well, if you discount the significant increase in processing power, more RAM, higher tier storage options, much better display, better cameras, etc.

If you don't think the Pro is worth it and your needs are met by the air - guess what - buy the air?

That said, I'm keen to see WWDC this year as for some time now the iPad has been held back somewhat by iOS. Virtual memory was a recent addition, as was stage manager. Hopefully they make some further moves towards being usable as a laptop/desktop replacement with iPadOS 18.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Well, if you discount the significant increase in processing power, higher storage options, much better display, better cameras, etc.

If you don't think the Pro is worth it and your needs are met by the air - guess what - buy the air?

1) The cameras in the Pro and Air are basically the same (the back cameras on both are arguably worse than IPad Pro M1/M2 due to lack of ultra wide)
2) Higher processor power doesn’t matter for 99% of iPad Apps, even the Pro Apps - iPad Air with M2 and 8GB of RAM will more than support any iPad app, including Final Cut Pro or whatever
3) Storage Options yes, but you pay for them
4) Display yes - which is why I said iPad Pro is much better kit, but it really doesn’t add functionality

pedregosa

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
I also hope WWDC reveals some significant changes to iPad OS. But I doubt they will make them M4-specific and exclude the mass market for the Air

Reactions: Kal Madda

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Alternatively, if there were a lot of software things the Pro could do that the Air couldn't, people would complain about that as well.

I guess - but there are functional things that a MacBook Pro (appropriately spec’d) does much better than a MacBook Air. That’s not really the case with iPad Pro.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
iPad Air (M1/M2)
iPad Pro (M1/M2/M4)

• All have a 12 MP rear camera
  • All have a 12 MP front camera with center stage (2024 models place this on landscape)
  • All have 8 GB RAM as base memory
  • All have 1 USB-C Port (Pros support various Thunderbolt)
  • All support various Magic Keyboard accessories
  • All support 1 external display
  • All support 5G Cellular
  • All quote about 10 hour battery life
Etc

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
You could say regular iPad and iPad Air and iPad Pro have same functionality for most part. It really depends on better screens, better experience. I can do similar stuff on a 300 bucks chrome book, doesn’t mean it has same experience as others.

Reactions: Kal Madda

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
Well, if you discount the significant increase in processing power, more RAM, higher tier storage options, much better display, better cameras, etc.

That said, I'm keen to see WWDC this year as for some time now the iPad has been held back somewhat by iOS. Virtual memory was a recent addition, as was stage manager. Hopefully they make some further moves towards being usable as a laptop/desktop replacement with iPadOS 18.
Every year people think AAPL will finally make the iPadOS relevant and somehow at least run Mac apps. Every year people are disappointed.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Thunderbolt 4 comes to mind, for example you can edit video on external storage. ProRes encoding/decoding. Also the LIDAR sensor and TrueTone flash (scan feature from the keynote), although those aren't used much. The front camera supports Animoji and Memoji, and you get function keys on the Magic Keyboard. ;)

Yes, it's all various hardware features (Face ID, ProMotion, better speakers and mics), but they either enable functionality or increase quality or convenience.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
iPad Air (M1/M2)
iPad Pro (M1/M2/M4)

• All have a 12 MP rear camera
  • All have a 12 MP front camera with center stage (2024 models place this on landscape)
  • All have 8 GB RAM as base memory
  • All have 1 USB-C Port (Pros support various Thunderbolt)
  • All support various Magic Keyboard accessories
  • All support 1 external display
  • All support 5G Cellular
  • All quote about 10 hour battery life
Etc
Air doesn’t support thunderbolt data transfer, no promotion XDR display in Air, doesn’t have true depth camera, no Face ID. M2 processor in Air, only 2 speakers, and probably biggest difference is processor performance. If you don’t need those Air is a great buy.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
I look at the two new models like a vehicle, base model vs loaded. Functionally, both will take you where you want to go. The loaded one just has more comfortable seats and upgraded finishes, making the experience just a little nicer during the ride.

maldahleh

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2020
I also hope WWDC reveals some significant changes to iPad OS. But I doubt they will make them M4-specific and exclude the mass market for the Air
Im almost positive there will be features that are M4 specific, they always do that

HylianKnight

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2017
I use my iPad for a variety of things, note taking, small coding projects, general on the go computing when a Mac feels a bit too big… and a lot of watching shows and movies. So the screen is a pretty significant functional upgrade over the air. Yes, they both provide the basic functionality of viewing a nice picture, but the iPad Pro is certainly going to be a much better experience there.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Wait for WWDC. I’m sure there will be some kind of new features available only on M4.

Then wait for next year and the next update will have features not available on older iPads. This happens every year.
True.

This new feature for the Pros will be something questionably useful but highly demanding, like Stage Manager.

But no macOS. Not unless Apple has come up with a way to let you do so that isn’t running macOS natively on your iPad but is just streaming the content of a Mac nearby, an Mac that is signed into your iCloud account.

Last edited:

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I don't see the issue. If they appear the same to you then buy the cheaper one.

I've see a few people commenting lately about how things are too expensive and aren't worth the difference in price from a mid-tier product like that's some kind of problem. People also keep complaining that Apple prices things too high. If it's priced too high and you don't need or want the incremental improvements from the cheaper device, the answer seems simple.

Is this because people have come to see themselves as "top shelf" kind of customers and aren't sure what to do when they don't need a top shelf device?

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
No new screen functionality? That’s wildly underselling the new screen, especially compared to the Air. You get 2x brighter full-screen SDR, over 3X brighter HDR peaks, 2X the refresh rate, true blacks for infinite contrast, and better off-angle viewing. Funny that you mention cameras so much when the screen is a vastly more important part of the device (I would argue THE most important on a tablet), and it got the biggest upgrade it’s ever gotten.

This isn’t even to mention the M4 performance which looks to be one of the biggest speed upgrades ever YoY, especially considering CPU (50% faster) and graphics rendering (4X faster thanks to ray tracing).

Get the Pro this year. There’s no contest IMO. Your future self will thank you.

If you’re on a strict budget and can’t afford the Pro, I don’t know why you’re even comparing them. Definitely don’t get something you can’t afford or don’t need. Get something used or entry level for best value.

Last edited:

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
- promotion
- quad speakers
- OLED with higher brightness
- thunderbolt
- Face ID
- more microphones (4 vs 2)
- supports new Magic Keyboard
- 128GB more base storage
- lighter / thinner
- M4 vs M2 with especially improvements on Neural engine and graphics
- True Tone flash

sone of these are minor obviously but some do enhance the experience a lot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.