Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
So 24 ultra arrived today, the violet really is more muted in RL (may just be grey English Weather), and I accidentaly brought the privacy screen protector so it looks like it's wearing sunglasses lol.

Also it installed a play services update, but says July 2023 which predates the release...

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Loose the AppleTVs.

Sell them. The aftermarket cost of 1 pays for 2 out if 3 Amazon FireStickTV's

Use less power,
Support a huge magnitude of apps including Apple TV + for streaming,
AND Samsung Dex works perfectly!

Ever try browsing, editing a resume, uploading to LinkediN or any other site and applying for jobs via AppleTV + ios?! Don't get me started with working remotely with Citrix - even without the latter you're dead in the water!

The simple fact that iPhone is STILL a phone in it's design a d mythos for existence by Apple forces you to collect a myriad of expensive products unnecessarily!

And costly. It's 2024 and computing shouldn't be like that. Took me 12-14yrs to see what I already long known and just fell into the trap of not wanting to troubleshoot after work. Was I soo wrong!

I can't agree with this. I consider Apple TV Apple's best product because it "just works". Firesticks are slow as hell and the ads were too much. I barely use my Roku too because Apple TV is still just good.

Neofox

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2024
I can't agree with this. I consider Apple TV Apple's best product because it "just works". Firesticks are slow as hell and the ads were too much. I barely use my Roku too because Apple TV is still just good.

Same. Firesticks are horrible.
I really tried but they are really underpowered, and can't even display HDR content in Netflix... Closest match of the Apple TV would be the Nvidia Shield but they are kinda old now and cost a lot.

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
First Impressions are that it's quite buggy. Neither myself or vodafone could get wifi calling working. And Smart switch got stuck at 99.9% for well over an hour when trying to transfer images from my iphone. Also opening apps from notifications seems to be a no go.

Going to try a factory reset.

Reactions: keithop

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Roku interface and UI is horrible imho. I love my Firesticks...but don't plug them into a power supply. Instead plug them into the USB port on the back of the TV. That way it gets powered on/off along with the TV and the memory does get full and slow it down. But I use a Amazon Cube in the main rooms of my house. For me it is presents things is a cleaner way than the ATV does.

Reactions: Vegastouch

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010
The s24 ultra - is the shutter speed still slow, meaning moving objects often appear blurred? Is there a fix for this?

How do people find the face unlock feature and can you use face unlock with banking apps ?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I can never do that lol. The Apple TV and the Mac are the only Apple products I truly like. They last a forever I know some still use the Apple TVs from 2012.

No, because I would use my laptop/tablet for that. I never seen anybody use a streaming box like that before.

I got a tab s9 cause it was cheaper way to OLED and it’s much cheaper than an OLED iPad and I needed some niche Android apps.

That's fine, whatever works for you. It is possible on FirestickTV to share or extend desktop of your Intel/M1 Mac to the TV via this kit as well.

Dex will run natively on yoru Galaxy Tab S9 on the internal screen but also to a SmartTV or streamingbox or FireStick connected to the HDMI port of your TV as well. Even allowing extended screen (if you install Good Lock from the Galaxy Store, within you can use settings for 4K too; yet not without it - to an external screen).

Reactions: Carrotstick

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'll disagree to disagree lol.

FireStick I have is definitely not slow ... faster than my original AppleTV 4th Gen (1 before 4K debut) and that was a 64GB version. The fact I can use a lot more streaming services - many free others paid even than being restricted and works VERY well without lag with my S23 as a Dex desktop mode is a game changer.

What works for you - may not for me, what works for me - may not for you. Either way we're both happy with our own setups :D

Cheers.

Reactions: sjsharksfan12

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
The s24 ultra - is the shutter speed still slow, meaning moving objects often appear blurred? Is there a fix for this?

How do people find the face unlock feature and can you use face unlock with banking apps ?
Get the pixel for camera and face id (if it's not dark). You can't use the face unlock for banking apps on the s24 sadly but you can with the pixel 8 series.

I'm 1.5 days into a s24 ultra and the finger print isn't as good as the pixels with a screen protector and my thumbs. General consensus is that the s24's is meant to be better.

Reactions: unclejamaal

aue123

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2019
Mid west USA
Get the pixel for camera and face id (if it's not dark). You can't use the face unlock for banking apps on the s24 sadly but you can with the pixel 8 series.

I'm 1.5 days into a s24 ultra and the finger print isn't as good as the pixels with a screen protector and my thumbs. General consensus is that the s24's is meant to be better.
when I got my s24U day 1, I also thought it was trash, but 5 months later and it's actually getting billion times better.

today I think s24U fingerprint is top notch best in the game.

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
I returned the S24U, the fingerprint scanner was the downfall for me, I blame my dry hands. But it sold me on a Samsung device, I’ve toyed with android for years but always stuck with my iPhone. I’m ready to jump, and I think I prefer what Samsung has to offer over pixel devices. I’m planning on picking up a fold 6 when it drops given the fingerprint sensor in the power button is more reliable for me.

Reactions: keithop

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Couple portrait shots of Milo and Midnight:

Attachments

• 20240515_091406.jpg
    20240515_091406.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240515_091017.jpg
    20240515_091017.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240515_091409.jpg
    20240515_091409.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 21

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA

I had the opposite experience with S23+ vs Pixel 8 Pro (no screen protector on either). The former was quick thumb touch every time (same with my current S24+) and P8P was annoying and often took multiple attempts. Finally figured out P8P required a harder press on the screen which improved 1st time unlock to some extent.

I don't have any interest or desire to use facial recognition.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Roku interface and UI is horrible imho. I love my Firesticks...but don't plug them into a power supply. Instead plug them into the USB port on the back of the TV. That way it gets powered on/off along with the TV and the memory does get full and slow it down. But I use a Amazon Cube in the main rooms of my house. For me it is presents things is a cleaner way than the ATV does.
I've never had a Firestick or Roku.
I have 3 FireTV boxes V2. Haven't bought cubes as of yet.
Boxes work fine and aren't slow. I also have a IPTV service installed in it which is great.

The only issue I have with that is from my Internet service when sometimes it has some slow period for a short time while streaming live TV.
Never have streaming issues from movies and such.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I returned the S24U, the fingerprint scanner was the downfall for me, I blame my dry hands. But it sold me on a Samsung device, I’ve toyed with android for years but always stuck with my iPhone. I’m ready to jump, and I think I prefer what Samsung has to offer over pixel devices. I’m planning on picking up a fold 6 when it drops given the fingerprint sensor in the power button is more reliable for me.
Yep the under screen sensor seemed like a breakthrough at the time but I can't say I truly enjoyed it and I was not looking forward to another change at the time with my Fold 1, but here I am now on my 5th Fold and the fingerprint sensor in the power button just works :)

I see no extra benefit in face unlock on my IP15PM and if not more annoying having to raise it every time, I just don't see the fuss with this functionality :)

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
Hardware is great. Tempted to return it tho and go back to my p8p as the camera is better (smallerngapnthan with my 23 plus and pixel to be fair) it's a bit big, but I'm sure I'll get used to it and I've only ever used the s pen as a fidget toy so far lol.

I do worry that the battery life on the p8p will be a deal breaker. Anyone else gone back from s24 ultra to p8p?

Also play services show July 23 but up to date... And I installed an update the other day.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

psp123

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2015
I sold my S24U last week and decided to keep my Pixel 8 Pro.
The build quality, battery, S Pen and customization was great but I prefer the UI and camera on the Pixel. It's also nice to have the latest version of Android.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
My little secret, my SIM card has been in my P8P almost the whole month of May, maybe 2 days in the S24 Ultra

There's just something special about the Pixel 8 Pro, I know the [H]hardware in the S24U is clearly superior, but the Pixel just has this thing I can't pinpoint, it's fun and comfortable to use.

Yes I wish the Pixel had the same high-end hardware as the Galaxy, but even with the subpar internals, the UI of stock Android, and Material You, it's a pleasure, and the rounded shape and size of the P8P is darn near perfect.

Oh and the camera, the Pixel owns the Galaxy.

I find the P8P just easier to pick up and go and start using it quickly. Whereas the S24 Ultra just feels cumbersome, it's heavy, very large and the sharp corners aren't as hand friendly.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.