Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
How about ...

The typical newbie tactic -- lets all start another thread on a MWSF computer update -- because there are too many comments and threads elsewhere on the forum.

newbie McNugget said:
New powerbooks by MWSF?

Ok. All over this area of the forum there are comments here and there about new powerbooks coming out at MWSF. I think this is a good place for everyone to voice their opinions on this issue. Hopefully this will help buyers who may be interested in purchasing a powerbook have an idea on the odds of the new powerbooks coming out at MWSF.
Good god, can't they drag up an old thread instead of starting 10 new ones. :rolleyes:

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Great post, it has my vote not only for stickie status but for a more prominent place if this is possible.

Besides adding the fifth mac out there, I think it'd be nice to add some screenshots for some of the advice like searching, personal messages etc.

Oh, just a minor thing... you should make the entire "Please search" bold not just the please. Might get more attention than just please, some people react allergic to this word and tend to just overlook it. ;)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
FredAkbar said:
Forgetting something? :D

Great post though, really informative and seems to cover almost everything of importance.

Thanks. Yeah, uh, the eMac didn't count because uhm, of the.... uh... yeah the G5 rumors, thats it. :eek: Here comes another edit!

Diatribe said:
Besides adding the fifth mac out there, I think it'd be nice to add some screenshots for some of the advice like searching, personal messages etc.
Alright. I don't have a webserver so I guess everything has to be <100kb. Could get tricky, but I'll add the pictures when I get a chance.

Diatribe said:
Oh, just a minor thing... you should make the entire "Please search" bold not just the please. Might get more attention than just please, some people react allergic to this word and tend to just overlook it. ;)
Alright, I'll change it... but if I start to sneeze whenever I look at this thread, I'm changing it back ;)

Applespider

macrumors G4
A thought on the 'searching' part of the guide.

When I first arrived, I could never find anything relevant in search. Then I realised it was because I was using the 'search site' box :eek: which is the most obvious search box if you are more used to website than boards.

Might be useful to put a screen grab showing the 'search' in the menu bar as the right one to use?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
Applespider said:
Might be useful to put a screen grab showing the 'search' in the menu bar as the right one to use?

Manyana I take pictures. Manyana is a transliteration from Spanish, and it means "tomorrow". Maybe today. Depends on when I can do it. Schoolwork, yknow.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Mechcozmo said:
Manyana I take pictures. Manyana is a transliteration from Spanish, and it means "tomorrow". Maybe today. Depends on when I can do it. Schoolwork, yknow.

My experience in South America has been that "manyana" means "not right now" :rolleyes: Maybe tomorrow, maybe day after tomorrow, maybe never, but definitely not right now! ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
MacDawg said:
My experience in South America has been that "manyana" means "not right now" :rolleyes: Maybe tomorrow, maybe day after tomorrow, maybe never, but definitely not right now! ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg

Well... yeah, thats the slang kinda variant, but the literal meaning is tomorrow. So please don't make me look lazy if tomorrow I still don't have em... :p :D

If its all good to you guys, I started taking a couple.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I appreciate your hard work on the thread mechcozmo.
I think it is terrific.

As far as 'manyana' goes, it was just frustrating on my business trips at times. :p But you get used to the pace in Panama (or lack thereof).

And I for one do get irritated with misspellings and misrepresentations like IBook and such. To me it is a lack of appreciation and attention to the elegance of the Mac experience. :)

Woof, Woof - Dawg

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Hey edesignuk (EDUK), maybe someone or you for that matter should put in there no stalking MR members. ;) :)

Just a suggestion. :)

note: I hope you have nothing against me shortening your name to EDUK or even eDUK. I you have an issue do let me know. :)

Almost forgot, you have my vote for this thread to be a sticky, good job. :)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
m a y a said:
note: I hope you have nothing against me shortening your name to EDUCK or even eDUK. I you have an issue do let me know. :)
Meh, I'm not too bothered. Wouldn't mind avoiding being called educk though ;)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
m a y a said:
note: I hope you have nothing against me shortening your name to EDUCK or even eDUK. I you have an issue do let me know. :)

EDUCK?

:)

Surely that'll send him quackers!

Mods: Feel free to delete this completely off-topic & stoopid post. Thnx.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
edesignuk said:
Meh, I'm not too bothered. Wouldn't mind avoiding being called educk though ;)

Blue Velvet said:

Was a typo :: OoPs :: :)

Let just streamline the rule, some people will just skip all that text and considering its rules many will fall into that crack. :)

Just get to the point for example:

Apples carries the following at present:

iPod mini
iPod
iPod Photo

iBook G4
PowerBook G4 aka PBG4

eMac G4
iMac G5
PowerMac G5 Dual Processor aka PMG5
DP and PowerMac G5 Single Processor aka PMG5P
Xserve

and so forth... or maybe just a link or included a link as well beside it, instead of a photo.

You did a fine job, some editing is needed that is all. :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
m a y a said:
How about having the new users read the rules and answer a few questions before granting them an account. Any thoughts. :)

Not a good idea at all, I'm afraid.
Would turn people right off -- the pleasure of this forum is it's open-ness.

If I had to do a quiz before registering, I wouldn't have bothered at all... far too school-like.

Any new forum members who fall foul of etiquette don't tend to stay round anyway.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I don't think it is so much rules as it is etiquette as BV says. I think there is a heckuva lot of freedom around here, with all kinds of backgrounds, attitudes and interests.

What there seems to be little patience for (and rightly so I might add) is someone new coming in and ranting and raving about the way things are done, etc. (posting in the wrong forum, posting without searching, spamming, and so forth) as well as spouting off to those who have committed a LOT of time and energy to this place to make it what it is... a fun place to be.

I have to say that I visited and read for a l-o-n-g time before I ever posted. I felt like I had a good idea of what was here, and how to interact before I ever entered the waters.

New members should be welcomed and made to feel at home, to be sure, but they should show a little restraint as well as they find their way. It is common courtesy on both ends.

Anyway, hope you get sticky status out of this when its done mechcozmo. I was the first to recommend it at the beginning of the thread! Good job!

Woof, Woof - Dawg

T

thejazzman10

nice thread , but I fell kind of left out posting here, as everyone has an avatar :D

FYI, I like your "test sentence"
yo dudes i was plahing wit teh mouse and then i saz the light on da b0ttem. wassup wift tha?
To
Hey guys, I was playing with the mouse and then I saw the light on the bottom What's up with that?

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
Mechcozmo said:
It's mañana, by the way.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Mechcozmo said:
Ah, ok, thanks. How do you get the little curly thing above the n though? The tilde, right?
Press option-n, then the letter the tilde should appear over, e.g., option-n then n. Felíz año nuevo!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.