Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
I just gave advice to someone that I thought was airtight and sound until someone else gently pointed out that I was incorrect. Marking up PDFs in Preview does not alter the original document - something I had "known" it did for well over a decade now. Thanks and kudos to fellow forum member Gilby101 for setting me straight and not being a jerk about it.

When has this ever happened to you? Have you ever been so sure of something that you stood your ground, maybe even doubled down on your infinite wisdom even after having been corrected?

Reactions: Huntn and rm5

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
I just gave advice to someone that I thought was airtight and sound until someone else gently pointed out that I was incorrect. Marking up PDFs in Preview does not alter the original document - something I had "known" it did for well over a decade now. Thanks and kudos to fellow forum member Gilby101 for setting me straight and not being a jerk about it.

When has this ever happened to you? Have you ever been so sure of something that you stood your ground, maybe even doubled down on your infinite wisdom even after having been corrected?

I'd say that is something all humans do, throughout their lives.

(even Henrietta Collins, who is part animal, part machine, ha ha)

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
It's happened to me on this very forum before (along with many other places). Here's the thing: different people have different experiences, so it's not your fault - and you're technically not wrong - if you say, "In my experience, [this thing has been this way] or [this thing happened]. It might not be like that for you, but that's how it was for me." Nothing wrong with that IMO. As long as you're telling the truth, I see no harm in that.

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
I'd say that is something all humans do, throughout their lives.

(even Henrietta Collins, who is part animal, part machine, ha ha)Yes, I appreciate your kind reassurance. I asked hoping some other forum members might share their experiences.
It's happened to me on this very forum before (along with many other places). Here's the thing: different people have different experiences, so it's not your fault - and you're technically not wrong - if you say, "In my experience, [this thing has been this way] or [this thing happened]. It might not be like that for you, but that's how it was for me." Nothing wrong with that IMO. As long as you're telling the truth, I see no harm in that.
Thank you, thank you, you’re both very kind in your responses. I should have phrased my question better:

What are some examples of things you thought you knew but later learned were incorrect?

I thought it might be a fun discussion topic. I hope we’ll see!

Reactions: rm5

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thank you, thank you, you’re both very kind in your responses. I should have phrased my question better:

What are some examples of things you thought you knew but later learned were incorrect?

I thought it might be a fun discussion topic. I hope we’ll see!
Once upon a time, when I was a child, I thought that Pluto was a planet.

At that time, the (our) Solar System was thought to be home to nine planets.

However, as events have since transpired, (and most regrettably, to my mind), with Pluto's subsequent demotion to planetoid status, that, alas, is now no longer the case.

Last edited:

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Thank you, thank you, you’re both very kind in your responses.
Yeah, of course!!
Ahh... honestly a hard question! One I can think of off the top of my head (I'm sure I'll think of others) is that I thought "locrian" as in the seventh mode of the major scale was spelled "lochrian." I'd been spelling it that way since I was a kid. It wasn't until Applied Musicianship II this year in college that I learned the correct spelling. That's one!

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
Yeah, of course!!

Ahh... honestly a hard question! One I can think of off the top of my head (I'm sure I'll think of others) is that I thought "locrian" as in the seventh mode of the major scale was spelled "lochrian." I'd been spelling it that way since I was a kid. It wasn't until Applied Musicianship II this year in college that I learned the correct spelling. That's one!
That's a good one! Also totally understandable. I mean, how often do you use locrian, really? 🎸

Reactions: rm5

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing

However, as events have since transpired, (and most regrettably, to my mind), with Pluto's subsequent demotion to planetoid status, alas, that is now no longer the case.
Pluto will always be a planet in my book. I will die on this hill.🤨⚔️

Once upon a time I believed that 2 + 2 = 4.😬

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
But 2=1
IMG_7061.jpeg

Reactions: BotchQue

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho

However, as events have since transpired, (and most regrettably, to my mind), with Pluto's subsequent demotion to planetoid status, alas, that is now no longer the case.
iu

IYKYK...

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Yes, especially as I get older. 😳 🙃

• Love
Reactions: JonnyMacx86

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Pluto will always be a planet in my book. I will die on this hill.🤨⚔️

It doesn’t? 🤔😬🔥🙃

I wonder if this is related: Recently on Mastodon, it was posted that if you take any number x2 and subtract 4 = 7…I countered with 8x2-4=12. Something about “base” was mentioned afterwards as a justification. The key in my mind was that no qualifier was mentioned in the original statement. Standing by to hear what I missed… 😬

Last edited:

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
The only thing I can think of is that I was always told bumblebees don’t have a stinger and therefore knew they didn’t. I didn’t bother looking it up because, well, I knew the facts. Then recently, a friend explained that, yes, bumblebees have stingers.
That’s when I did look it up to have my knowledge confirmed.

Turns out the friend was right.

🐝

Reactions: rm5 and JonnyMacx86
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.