Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
- iPad is more modular (can use as a tablet in bed or on the couch for example / laptop is less practical in these examples.
- 512 GB storage / 8 GB Ram is plenty on an iPad - that 8 GB RAM is low and less future proof for a MBP
- OLED > Mini LED
- Less capable depends on use case - For me the iPad Pro is a better and especially more fun home computer capable of everything you need. For work the Mac will be more capable indeed (but for many workloads, windows machines are more capable)

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
I don’t know what you mean by “no usable I/O.”
The iPad has a thunderbolt port, and additionally, the magic keyboard has a USB-C power port.
That’s more I/O then the 12 inch MacBook ever had.
And the M1 Air also only had two USB-C ports.

Hook up a dock to this iPad, as you would more than likely have to any regular MacBook Air, and you have the same I/O.

It has one port that is gone the moment you plug in a set of wired headphones. That may be ok for most users but it isn't enough for me personally 👍

Reactions: bobjonesco

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
Let’s see.

13” iPad Pro M4 WiFi

• 512 GB (8GB RAM. 16 GB only on higher models)
  • 9-Core CPU, 10-Core GPU
  • 1 USB-C port
  • 10 Hours battery life
  • Magic Keyboard
  • NO Pencil

$3,128 AUD ($3,347 with Pencil)

Compared to the closest MacBook Pro in specs.

14” MacBook Pro M3

• 512 GB (8GB RAM)
  • 8 Core CPU, 10 Core GPU
  • 2 USB-C ports, HDMI, SDXC, headphone jack
  • 15 hours battery life
  • Fans

$2,699 AUD

The much less capable device running iPad OS is $429 AUD (or $648 AUD with Pencil) more expensive.

'bUt itS SOoO ThiN aND SpacEBlakkk!!'
Whoa!!!! Apple doesn't want you doing that kind of comparison and wants you to buy the new shiny object. Don't bring logic into it. You need to delete what you did and forget you ever did that. :)

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
I have explained in extensive detail why this is a wrong sentiment.

Apple in fact wants iPad to be more useful than a MBP. Apple prefers the iPad. But developers of software don’t. Why? AppStore Tax

more detail here — > https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-strategy-and-the-appstore-must-read.2425708/

I didn't click your link so I apologize if you cover aspects that agree with: If Apple really preferred the iPad they'd cater its OS to support aspects of "Productivity" that are deal-breakers keeping the iPad from ever overtaking a Mac for many, including me. Instead Apple caters the iPad to be more friendly to all the things an iPad is meant to do, which is to prioritize touch/tapping one app at a time generally. The iPad shines when the OS caters to that instead of trying to also be a productivity king.

"Productivity" to some very much hinges on the OS...way moreso than 3rd party software/apps.

How one interfaces with the device matters so much and, and any deviation from critical aspects of MacOS, as well as any need to constantly reach to tap the screen will (IMHO) keep the iPad from ever overtaking Macs for "hardcore Productivity."

The ability to custom-position apps/windows on a given screen (and via Mission Control) in MacOS, as well as to interface via mouse & keyboard w/o having to constantly lift your finger to the screen is key...I find it very difficult to maintain long-term productivity (as in, over 1 hour of work) when needing to leave the mouse & keyboard and reach to tap a screen. And if you work solely via keyboard & mouse on the iPad, the inability to custom-position other apps and work between apps is so much more efficient on a Mac than in iPadOS.

It's just so much more easy and efficient to be "hardcore productive for more than an hour" interfacing with a Mac on MacOS than on an iPad via iPadOS.

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2021
The much less capable device running iPad OS is...

...powered by the newer M4, has better thermals to prevent throttling, has no fan, has a better OLED screen, has a touch screen, supports apple pencil input, is thinner, weighs less, and has a slimmer OS that uses far less space and updates much faster. Different strokes for different folks. If you need macOS, get a Mac.

PaperMag

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023
Let’s see.

13” iPad Pro M4 WiFi

• 512 GB (8GB RAM. 16 GB only on higher models)
  • 9-Core CPU, 10-Core GPU
  • 1 USB-C port
  • 10 Hours battery life
  • Magic Keyboard
  • NO Pencil

$3,128 AUD ($3,347 with Pencil)

Compared to the closest MacBook Pro in specs.

14” MacBook Pro M3

• 512 GB (8GB RAM)
  • 8 Core CPU, 10 Core GPU
  • 2 USB-C ports, HDMI, SDXC, headphone jack
  • 15 hours battery life
  • Fans

$2,699 AUD

The much less capable device running iPad OS is $429 AUD (or $648 AUD with Pencil) more expensive.

'bUt itS SOoO ThiN aND SpacEBlakkk!!'
Apple raised the price of these iPad Pros by $200 to account for their investment costs and production costs of this new Tandem OLED.
  • M2 iPad Pro ← $799, $1099 USD
  • M4 iPad Pro ← $999, $1299 USD
So it would be more accurate to compare the mini LED MacBook Pro with the mini LED iPad Pro.
  • mini LED MacBook Pro ← $1599 USD
  • mini LED iPad Pro + Magic Keyboard ← $1448 USD
So only a $151 USD difference in favor of the mini LED iPad Pro.

Believe-you-me, when OLED comes to MacBook Pro, Apple will be charging more money for that, too.

sc00ba

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2024
Yep, we get royally screwed over by Apple in Australia, not to mention Apple putting the prices up every time they release a new model. Hell, they’ve probably the only company that can raise the prices and get away with it in the current financial climate, especially when we are paying the most we ever have for groceries and petrol.….or can they?

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
I know some people are over the moon about this announcement and good for them. Personally I don’t get it.

I’m very happy with my vanilla iPad as a consumption device. I really can’t imagine how an M4 iPP would magically make me want to do real work on it—especially when I can get a very nicely spec’d MBP M2 Pro or even M3 Pro, for less than an iPP with the features I would actually want, like 16GB RAM.

gsal

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2019
Well, for starters, the iPad has a significantly better display and a touch screen… For some creatives, these two features are invaluable.

Hardware wise, the iPad Pro is objectively better, and in the UK the difference for a similar spec’ed MacBook is around £150.

Last edited:

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
I know some people are over the moon about this announcement and good for them. Personally I don’t get it.

I’m very happy with my vanilla iPad as a consumption device. I really can’t imagine how an M4 iPP would magically make me want to do real work on it—especially when I can get a very nicely spec’d MBP M2 Pro or even M3 Pro, for less than an iPP with the features I would actually want, like 16GB RAM.

Well, for starters, the iPad has a significantly better display and a touch screen… For some creatives, these two features are invaluable.

It all depends upon the task(s) being performed. The iPad (due mostly to its OS) will never replace a MacBook as a productivity device for some. And the iPad (because of its OS) is the perfect productivity device for others.

For every “consumption app,” I love how an iPad app automatically takes up the entire screen by default and is perfectly ready for handling and touch. But from my line of work and personal productivity, I could never use just fullscreen mode on a Mac, I am constantly shifting between windows or using several windows on the screen at once for hours.

The iPad and Mac are different like walking and riding a bike, one could never fully replace the other.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Exactly. Apple wants you to buy both and they are successfully doing it.
And when they perform as well as they do for the various different type of tasks and things you do on each device, I’ll gladly buy both. Just like I’ll always have a bike and walking shoes. It’s when Apple Marketing tries to fool Tim and customers to think one could fully replace the other that is ridiculous.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
And when they perform as well as they do for the various different type of tasks and things you do on each device, I’ll gladly buy both. Just like I’ll always have a bike and walking shoes. It’s when Apple Marketing tries to fool Tim and customers to think one could fully replace the other that is ridiculous.
I think this "laptop replacement" was from the days of the tablet boom when everyone thought laptops would go the way of Nokia. Or do they still sell the iPad as a laptop replacement?

Squirrrrel

Suspended
Apr 24, 2024
I think this "laptop replacement" was from the days of the tablet boom when everyone thought laptops would go the way of Nokia. Or do they still sell the iPad as a laptop replacement?
They still sell it as a laptop replacement.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
Some comparisons here.
M4 11" OLED Ipad Pro, the new Magic Keyboard and new Pencil Pro = $1970CAD
M3 14" Macbook Pro refurb with 512GB and 16GB ram = $1999CAD.

As someone who already has an ipad pro, the new ipad is poor value.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Don't worry, soon they'll put a Tandem OLED in the MacBook Pro and make it more expensive than the iPad again 😂

gsal

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2019
Some comparisons here.
M4 11" OLED Ipad Pro, the new Magic Keyboard and new Pencil Pro = $1970CAD
M3 14" Macbook Pro refurb with 512GB and 16GB ram = $1999CAD.

As someone who already has an ipad pro, the new ipad is poor value.

It’s not really fair comparing it to a refurbished Mac…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.