Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsam19

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
Worldwide
Can anyone offer any advice or help on this matter?

I have an Imac 17" Intel Core 2 Duo (5,1) 2ghz late 2006 model.
Just recently the superdrive has perished for what ever reason & I have read that some times if you reinstall the original operating discs that came with the computer, the superdrive may or may not come back to life.

Leopard 10.5.8 with all the updates is the current set up on the imac & I want to put Tiger 10.4.7 back on it.

So I'm connecting the Imac to my Mac pro 15.4" (late 2007 model - 2.2ghz 4gb ram intel core 2 duo) via firewire & use the Imac as a target disk.

I put the install disc into my mac pro with the imac connected, power down - reboot holding 'C' to boot up the Tiger install disc.

The apple logo & spinning wheel appear, but then the screen darkens & a 'You must turn off your computer or hold the power switch for a few seconds appears'

Now I've tried resetting the PRAM,NVRAM & SMC also decreasing the amount of RAM there is in the laptop.

But the error is always the same??

However if I put leopard 10.5.6 disc in that starts ok, snow leopard 10.6 that starts ok too.

But tiger 10.4.7 & leopard 10.5.1 won't start at all??

How can I get Tiger 10.4.7 back onto the imac using my mac pro?

Yes the only other way is to replace the superdrive, but I'm not in a position to get it replaced at the minute & if reinstalling the original operating discs rejuvenates the old superdrive, then there's no point.

Thanks for reading & taking the time to offer any help.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
You're putting the gray install DVD for the iMac into the Mac Pro's optical drive and then trying to install the OS on the iMac which is connected through target disk mode? The Mac Pro won't start up with 10.4.7, it shipped with 10.5.

tsam19

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
Worldwide
I thought about that too.

My macbook pro 15.4" Santa Rosa (MA895LL) A1226 was shipped with tiger 10.4.x also installed, but I didn't get the installation discs with it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp17

So I am unable to install tiger on mine also, hence the reason for:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/bu...id-2007-install-discs-wanted.html#post1116978

Maybe if I had tiger on my macbook pro I could then use the imac discs for installation on the imac via the mbp firewire.

As you suggest all macs have install discs according to the model.

:D:D:D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No, you cannot use the system disks from another computer. They're keyed in such a way that prevents any use

tsam19

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
Worldwide
That makes sense now.

I will look out for a tiger 10.4.9 or 10.4.10 retail version, if they did one.

Cheers! ;)

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

I will look out for a tiger 10.4.9 or 10.4.10 retail version, if they did one.

It won't do you any good. You have an Intel-based Mac. Apple never offered an Intel-compatible version of MacOS X 10.4 for retail sale. If you want to reinstall MacOS X 10.4.9 on your computer, then you must acquire a replacement System Restore disc. MacOS X 10.5 is the oldest retail version of MacOS X that can boot an Intel-based Mac.

tsam19

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
Worldwide
I'm glad you told me that, as there's a few tiger intel retail discs floating around on eBay claiming to be original etc, obviously bogus!

There's even one claiming to be tiger 10.4.8 retail dvd.

Cheers! ;)

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
You can call Apple and get replacement discs for your computer for a pretty reasonable fee.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I'm glad you told me that, as there's a few tiger intel retail discs floating around on eBay claiming to be original etc, obviously bogus!

There's even one claiming to be tiger 10.4.8 retail dvd.

Cheers! ;)

They're not bogus, they're just for PowerPC-based Macs.

You could also try calling Apple to purchase a replacement set of system restore discs. They usually only charge $20 or so.

tsam19

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
Worldwide
A lot of the ebay advertised discs say there for Intel versions of mac.

I've already contacted apple & the price of each tiger cd/dvd is £22 each plus Vat - around £47 for the pair.

I will wait & watch ebay for someone who is having a clear out.

A set may turn up & I'm in no rush. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.