Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
🤦‍♂️ ...

So the idea is to force a private company to give up control of it's data out of unverifiable fear and assumption that China will force said company to hand over it's user data to spread communist propaganda.

But by forcing the sale of the app to a US entity, that same data is just changing hands from one country to another but under the guise of "It's safer in America".

Meanwhile, Meta and X basically salivate at the opportunity to spread mis-information about anything because it generates revenue.

And China has said that it will block any attempt to allow the sale to happen.

So the alternative is to deny millions of users in the US their right to free speech.

It essentially comes down to this:

"TikTok should be an AMERICAN company because it's user data is safer with an american entity who will most definitely not, certainly wouldn't dream of using same said user data to spread mis-information and/or AMERICAN propaganda but if this doesn't happen, we'll suspend the 1st amendment for millions of people. We dont have an American entity in mind but we're willingly ignoring the fact that the US has had more data breaches than any other country and we have no laws protecting user data but we certainly WONT use that leaked data to spread mis-information or talk about the American way because communism is bad".

Yeah...this wont be a giant **** show...

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
Well, TikTok started the trend.

I just don't like this culture where everyone is trying to be a celebrity. And they'll go to extremes no matter how stupid or foolish to try to get attention.

Not going to stop with TikTok. TikTok is just a much more popular extension of what Vine was doing. Instagram, Youtube, TikTok...etc all of this stuff is related in ways for celebrity culture.

You can probably say the origins of all of this is the iPhone and related smartphones is you want to start blaming things. That was the initial floodgate because thats the mechanism that allows all of this stuff to happen. You used to have to take some basic steps to do things like record video with a camcorder, hook up the firewire...etc. Now any rube has access to click a button and it's all done for them.

There will be others besides TikTok that pop up in the future. Gen Z is TikTok. Gen Alpha might start adopting something else in 5 years and TikTok starts becoming the uncool app.

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
🤦‍♂️ ...

So the idea is to force a private company to give up control of it's data out of unverifiable fear and assumption that China will force said company to hand over it's user data to spread communist propaganda.

But by forcing the sale of the app to a US entity, that same data is just changing hands from one country to another but under the guise of "It's safer in America".

Meanwhile, Meta and X basically salivate at the opportunity to spread mis-information about anything because it generates revenue.

And China has said that it will block any attempt to allow the sale to happen.

So the alternative is to deny millions of users in the US their right to free speech.

It essentially comes down to this:

"TikTok should be an AMERICAN company because it's user data is safer with an american entity who will most definitely not, certainly wouldn't dream of using same said user data to spread mis-information and/or AMERICAN propaganda but if this doesn't happen, we'll suspend the 1st amendment for millions of people. We dont have an American entity in mind but we're willingly ignoring the fact that the US has had more data breaches than any other country and we have no laws protecting user data but we certainly WONT use that leaked data to spread mis-information or talk about the American way because communism is bad".

Yeah...this wont be a giant **** show...
Hmm, if only Meta and X could reach the Chinese population. Wonder why they can’t?

This is a rhetorical question of course, but I think you can catch the overall issue with the Chinese government here, of which ByteDance is required by Chinese law to adhere to.

Art Mark

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Oregon
If this becomes the norm look for American tech to lose billions in sales around the world. The more protectionist we become the more everyone else will. We are not far away every country only allowing their tech. I think it's ridiculous that there is fear that the Chinese are somehow going to slip in propaganda as anyone can take 10 minutes and examine Twitter and see how mush far right Russian backed BS there is. Historically China has no interest in that kind of thing. But Putin lives for it. My god, China might know how often we watch a kid skateboarding!

I won’t try to eloquently state why I’m in favor of this, mainly because I didn’t sleep well last night, but I do share some serious concerns about where the data is going in relation to or in connection with ByteDance.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Lol. Tiktok said they even want us little Apple Vision Pro users data even though it’s only 5 of us. It’s funny how they were one of the first popular social media apps to come out with a native AVP app.

Art Mark

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Oregon
Kind of interesting how this 5-6 month timetable for a sale coincides with the election time frame. Perfect time to silence an entire social platform that you have no control over. I wonder what sort of legislation they have brewing for X/Twitter?

You think these social media platforms are some sort of cauldron of truth? Like there's never been free exchange of ideas until Twitter showed up? The guys with tinfoil hats were mainstays at newspaper for years (I saw them at the newspaper my dad worked for). Back then people had enough common sense to see them for w

• Angry
Reactions: AlexMac89

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
Hmm, if only Meta and X could reach the Chinese population. Wonder why they can’t?

This is a rhetorical question of course, but I think you can catch the overall issue with the Chinese government here, of which ByteDance is required by Chinese law to adhere to.
Either way, it's still forcing that user data to change hands from one controlling entity to another. If the fear is that China will spread communist propaganda, who is to say that the US wont do the same thing if they get access to that data? If this goes through, there is nothing in this bill that ensures that the user data is just as protected in the US.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
...and nothing of value will have been lost
I could make the same argument about any and all of the social media platforms…
There are supposedly 170M+ TikTok users in the US alone, and I’m guessing the majority of that actually uses it… so I think they do find value in it.

I don’t care about social media and have no accounts, all of it could be **** down tomorrow and I wouldn’t care, zero impact to me…

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
China doesn't allow Google to operate at all in their country. Same for Facebook and a whole slew of American internet companies.

24ba6733-4929-490c-990b-724e3229bd1c_text.gif

Art Mark

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Oregon
You can imagine how many times the US Government has forced Microsoft and Oracle to hand over all the info on their software from foreign countries to the US. And Apple... Foreign countries know that the US basically uses iPhone to spy. Not to mention all the routers and hardware designed in the US. I'd guess it's time for foreign countries to stop buying any software from US based companies. Samsung is a company basically run by the Korean Govt. and is loaded with spyware they sell to the highest bidder.

Reactions: klasma and delsoul

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Maybe time for an EU company to take advantage of this and the DMA and do some real innovation in this space???
/s

Reactions: delsoul
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.