Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
Good. It brings nothing positive. Just more time-wasting by scrolling through absolute garbage videos.
And the "ban" has nothing to do with that.

It will be sold (not banned) and then continue to waste time under American ownership. Or another American company will fill the time-wasting hole left by TikTok.

I think the political leadership doesn't mind citizens being distracted (and their opinions becoming polarized) at all. They just don't want China to become a bigger competitor in tech.

miric

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2016
Both parties are funded by AIPAC, and they aren’t too happy with how pro-Palestine TikTok is.

Coincidentally, this TikTok ban was packaged with $26 billion in foreign aid support to Israel.

View attachment 2371416
What is pyelyestyenye? I don't recognize that word 🤷‍♂️ freegaza? What is freegaza? pyelyestyenyetiktik. Why is it allowed to create hashtags from bushes?

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
This lobbying probably had some effect on the house going in this authoritarian direction over regulating all social media equally with transparent algorithms.

SW3029

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2019
Apple should buy it
There is no way Apple would touch ownership of any social network with a ten-foot pole. Every other news headline would be "Random user posts about killing kittens on APPLE'S SOCIAL NETWORK" or "Nazi ads being shown next to user posts on AAPPLE's SOCIAL NETWORK."

There is zero chance Apple would ever want the headache of having to police a social media platform. The negative press coverage of social media networks is just something Apple would not want.

When their fledgling iTunes Ping social network failed (quickly) back in the day it was a blessing in disguise for the company because the next year is when the negative impacts of social media on users and society really came into the spotlight.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
It's not just app users' data that is of concern. TikTok has ad pixels that run on advertisers' websites, which include major corporations, and these pixels track very invasive activity and transactions on the website in order to allow the platform to optimize advertising and determine ROAS. This critical details is commonly left out of discussions regarding the information social platforms, and their holding companies, have access to.

Edit: Nearly all ad platforms offer this pixel. The controversy seems to be around the Chinese government having access to this information about US and other corporations.

Last edited:

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
It's not just app users' data that is of concern. TikTok has ad pixels that run on advertisers' websites, which include major corporations, and these pixels track very invasive activity and transactions on the website in order to allow the platform to optimize advertising and determine ROAS. This critical details is commonly left out of discussions regarding the information social platforms, and their holding companies, have access to.
Isn't that what facebook has been doing for the last 2 decades?

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
It is identical to Meta Pixel tracking used by FaceBook. Every ad platform does this. These are easy to block with your browser.

JungeQuex

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Both parties are funded by AIPAC, and they aren’t too happy with how pro-Palestine TikTok is.

Coincidentally, this TikTok ban was packaged with $26 billion in foreign aid support to Israel.

View attachment 2371416
And here's the real reason right here. When AIPAC says jump, Congress says "how high?" They just want this #FreePalestine stuff off the platform, which China does not care about in any way whatsoever. Pretty straightforward.

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
When the government does something like this, it’s worth asking “Who does this benefit?”

This bill will benefit Meta. It will also benefit AIPAC, as TikTok has become a hub for pro-Palestine content. Recall that Meta very recently decided to heavily censor all political content.

If I were Joe Biden and trying to get the youth to vote for me in a few months I would not brand myself as “the guy who banned TikTok.”

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
As much as I want to see TikTok just go away, the legal implications of all this will be interesting to watch.

Just remember that the vast majority of TikTok users are completely unaware of the manipulation on multiple sides in this situation.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
When the government does something like this, it’s worth asking “Who does this benefit?”

This bill will benefit Meta. It will also benefit AIPAC, as TikTok has become a hub for pro-Palestine content. Recall that Meta very recently decided to heavily censor all political content.

If I were Joe Biden and trying to get the youth to vote for me in a few months I would not brand myself as “the guy who banned TikTok.”

So basically no matter what happens it’s going to be a bad outcome. I don’t even know who’s supposed to be the “good guy” in all this. It’s so geopolitically twisted it’s like a James Bond movie.

andrewxgx

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2018

if you can't compete with them, lobby to ban them

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
I think technological misinformation and manipulation is a real problem that the founders of the US couldn't have anticipated.

I think privacy concerns should be addressed and I'd like to see a ban of all data mining; give consumers the opportunity to fill out surveys as to the content they want to see rather than algorithms that are using science to know and manipulate people in ways they are unaware of. In many regards, companies now know people better than they know themselves, and can use that data to manipulate people.

That manipulation is not "free" speech because the human mind is being controlled by forces beyond most people's understanding.

ALSO...though I would like to see this passed as a general law applying to the likes of Meta and Alphabet, it's not unreasonable to consider the applications of these efforts in a geopolitical context. Therefore I don't see a problem treating a chinese company differently than an American company.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
the EU could argue the same thing about every US company actually.
There was a time when Western Democracies understood that at their core they were fundamentally similar in contrast to authoritarian governments that are generally opposed to things like free speech and democracy. Is it really that simple for you to ignore those differences such that you think the US and China should be seen as equal in the eyes of the EU?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.