Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inshun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2022
I’ve posted this on reddit as well, but it might be more engaged with if I post it here. I have the 3rd generation iPad Pro 11-inch.

It’s disappointing to find that the ability to tilt the Apple Pencil in the Notes app in order to adjust the size of the eraser is now completely gone in iPadOS 16.1.

This really messes with my note taking, since just one fixed eraser size is ridiculous to put up with, and constantly changing it is way worse than just double tapping between the pencil and eraser without thinking about it. The object eraser is a non option for me since I don’t take my pencil off for every letter I write, and I like to erase just parts of my writing. This is all that’s left as far as options go:
Is there any way to get it back, or to provide feedback to Apple about this? I really want to just use the stock Notes app because of the pencil tool that looks like a pencil (no other note apps seem to have this!) and because it makes things way easier (iCloud, quick notes). I honestly almost feel heartbroken lol. I’d love to hear if anybody has any ideas for alternatives or if this will hopefully come back sometime soon.

I‘m also curious as to whether this is an issue with the new iPad Pros, or if tilting the eraser is still supported on them due to the “new” hover and tilt functionality.

As an afterthought, there is still a serious problem with writing after adding a shape or image. The strokes start to lag and the iPad begins to heat up; this happened before and now after updating to iPadOS 16.1. So I can’t use shapes or images in my notes.

Salocor

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2021
I’m glad someone else noticed this. I was trying to erase something today and noticed the tile erase feature didn’t work. This is honestly very frustrating. I hope Apple provides a way to get the old way back. I may downgrade back to iPadOS 15.

inshun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2022
I’m glad someone else noticed this. I was trying to erase something today and noticed the tile erase feature didn’t work. This is honestly very frustrating. I hope Apple provides a way to get the old way back. I may downgrade back to iPadOS 15.
I was also thinking seriously of downgrading. I never would have imagined that something like this could cause me such a disruption. It’s crazy to think how many things are being neglected in a device supposedly marketed towards students (not exclusively of course), like the files app still being very unsuitable to look at PDFs in (that dumb sidebar that can’t be dismissed, no tables of contents, etc.). I don't want to go and subscribe to an app just to take notes or look at PDFs.

Reactions: TheDailyApple

luis.s

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2010
New Zealand
Yes it's so frustrating! I've only been using an Apple Pencil for less than a week, then updated to iPadOS 16 today. In such a short time I've already got the muscle memory for tilting to adjust the size of the eraser and really missing it.

Reactions: inshun

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2019
This drives me absolutely crazy. My biggest use case for Apple Pencil has been for working complex math problems, and it's incredibly frustrating for me to try erasing an exponent in the denominator only for it to erase the entire problem because it was on the large setting. The tilt functionality worked well, I'm shocked they took it away.

I hope enough people can make a fuss about it for them to bring back the functionality. Controlling the brush with tilt was one of the biggest features of Apple Pencil when it was announced, and its just wrong for them to arbitrarily remove it.

Reactions: Corgirat and inshun

inshun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2022
This drives me absolutely crazy. My biggest use case for Apple Pencil has been for working complex math problems, and it's incredibly frustrating for me to try erasing an exponent in the denominator only for it to erase the entire problem because it was on the large setting. The tilt functionality worked well, I'm shocked they took it away.

I hope enough people can make a fuss about it for them to bring back the functionality. Controlling the brush with tilt was one of the biggest features of Apple Pencil when it was announced, and its just wrong for them to arbitrarily remove it.
100%. I am a mathematician as well and it’s simply ridiculous. I honestly wish there was a more obvious uproar. Maybe someone working at Apple will notice?

It’s just so dumb how they completely got rid of it - that’s a conscious choice that goes beyond just adding the new eraser settings. Since I noticed it I honestly suspect it could be to make the “hover” feature on new iPads more appealing or something?

I’m still looking for a note taking app with a pencil as good as the one in Notes. The Notes app itself could use so much work too.

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2019
100%. I am a mathematician as well and it’s simply ridiculous. I honestly wish there was a more obvious uproar. Maybe someone working at Apple will notice?

It’s just so dumb how they completely got rid of it - that’s a conscious choice that goes beyond just adding the new eraser settings. Since I noticed it I honestly suspect it could be to make the “hover” feature on new iPads more appealing or something?

I’m still looking for a note taking app with a pencil as good as the one in Notes. The Notes app itself could use so much work too.
If you haven’t submitted a report to apple through their feedback tool, you should take the time to do so. I submitted mine under “bug report” as obviously missing Apple Pencil functionality counts as a bug by my book.

Reactions: Corgirat

inshun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2022
If you haven’t submitted a report to apple through their feedback tool, you should take the time to do so. I submitted mine under “bug report” as obviously missing Apple Pencil functionality counts as a bug by my book.
oh yeah, how do I go about getting the app?

Fried egg on toast

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2019
I just used the website:

The functionality of Apple Pencil for me personally has decreased significantly due to removal of this function. I have put in a complaint but doubt Apple will do anything. I’m very surprised that more people don’t seem to care that much about this!

inshun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2022
The functionality of Apple Pencil for me personally has decreased significantly due to removal of this function. I have put in a complaint but doubt Apple will do anything. I’m very surprised that more people don’t seem to care that much about this!
ditto and ditto!

Reactions: rcuperus

Corgirat

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2016
As an afterthought, there is still a serious problem with writing after adding a shape or image. The strokes start to lag and the iPad begins to heat up; this happened before and now after updating to iPadOS 16.1. So I can’t use shapes or images in my notes.
I did notice this.Notes app heats up the device extremely hot and strokes lag really badly after the update

rcuperus

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2023
I’ve posted this on reddit as well, but it might be more engaged with if I post it here. I have the 3rd generation iPad Pro 11-inch.

It’s disappointing to find that the ability to tilt the Apple Pencil in the Notes app in order to adjust the size of the eraser is now completely gone in iPadOS 16.1.

This really messes with my note taking, since just one fixed eraser size is ridiculous to put up with, and constantly changing it is way worse than just double tapping between the pencil and eraser without thinking about it. The object eraser is a non option for me since I don’t take my pencil off for every letter I write, and I like to erase just parts of my writing. This is all that’s left as far as options go:
Is there any way to get it back, or to provide feedback to Apple about this? I really want to just use the stock Notes app because of the pencil tool that looks like a pencil (no other note apps seem to have this!) and because it makes things way easier (iCloud, quick notes). I honestly almost feel heartbroken lol. I’d love to hear if anybody has any ideas for alternatives or if this will hopefully come back sometime soon.

I‘m also curious as to whether this is an issue with the new iPad Pros, or if tilting the eraser is still supported on them due to the “new” hover and tilt functionality.

yeah this is terrible, who stood up in the office meeting and was like "hey lets remove one of the features that sets the notes app apart from other apps." like what? it's literally the reason i chose to use the app. that said it's still the best app for me so i hope they bring it back

Reactions: Fried egg on toast
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.