Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aarono2690

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2024
As the title states, I have a Series 5 that I've had since 2020 and it's currently at 77% battery health. I can get through a good chunk of the day on a charge and based on my habits (gym, running, etc. and charge while showering) I'm able to get through most days. I mostly engage with the watch when I exercise - i.e. I track my workouts, look at health data, sleep tracking, etc. I rarely use the watch for other features like downloading music, looking at photos, texting, etc. The watch is mostly an exercise tracker.

That said, I see Amazon and Best Buy are currently having sales on their non-oxygen sensor models. I was ready to jump on the deal, but held off after I realized none of the models on sale offer the oxygen sensor. Do I need the oxygen sensor? I don't know, but it feels like I'm sorta buying a gimped watch out of the gate if I can't have a feature other people have on their same watch.

One thing pushing me to upgrade is the fact I can still get $90 trade-in value on my watch if I trade it in to Best Buy. I imagine before too long the trade-in values won't be as good.

Here are my questions:

1. For exercise functions, is the Series 9 improved over Series 5? Will it capture more accurate data? Does it really offer anything above and beyond what my current watch offers.
  2. I haven't been following the lawsuit news very closely, nor have I been listening for rumors regarding the next generation. One thing I've heard is potential blood pressure readings. Anyone else know of any rumored upgrades that'd make it worth waiting for Series 10?
  3. With my battery health being what it is do you believe it's possible I can squeeze another year or two out of the watch battery?

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Is that aspect of your health something you need to monitor? Otherwise that wouldn't be a deal breaker to me. If it is then you might need a 3rd party monitor. Because I don't think Apple is going to resolve that any time soon. If they can't resolve the issue with the specific patent then they'll likely have to reengineer it so it doesn't violate the patent. That'll take time. So if you need the watch sooner I'd just buy it now.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

aarono2690

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2024
Is that aspect of your health something you need to monitor? Otherwise that wouldn't be a deal breaker to me. If it is then you might need a 3rd party monitor. Because I don't think Apple is going to resolve that any time soon. If they can't resolve the issue with the specific patent then they'll likely have to reengineer it so it doesn't violate the patent. That'll take time. So if you need the watch sooner I'd just buy it now.
I don't believe it's anything I need now. More just a perk.

aarono2690

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2024
Last question.

I currently have 44mm Series 5. My wrist is 165mm. I feel like I’d be fine getting the 45mm Series 9 based on how this one looks - agree?

Attachments

• IMG_8697.jpeg
    IMG_8697.jpeg
    338.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8698.jpeg
    IMG_8698.jpeg
    268.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8696.jpeg
    IMG_8696.jpeg
    349.5 KB · Views: 36

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
personally I'd go with a Series 9 that's on sale, with no oxygen monitor. I have it on mine & have only used it to play around with it.

The series 9 essentially does what the 5 does, but mostly just does it faster. I upgraded from a 3 to a 4 to a 5 to a 6 to a 7, and have stayed there, as I like the titanium finish, but not the look of the Ultra. The big deal for me with the 7 was the larger screen vs the earlier models, and the swipe to type (plus the fact that the 7 was the last non-ultra titanium model). I could still be happily using a 5 or 6, but the 7 is nice & should last you a long time.

FWIW, I have a hard time telling between the 44 & 45mm watches on my wrist. I think they look almost identical. I think it will look fine on your wrist.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

aarono2690

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2024
personally I'd go with a Series 9 that's on sale, with no oxygen monitor. I have it on mine & have only used it to play around with it.

The series 9 essentially does what the 5 does, but mostly just does it faster. I upgraded from a 3 to a 4 to a 5 to a 6 to a 7, and have stayed there, as I like the titanium finish, but not the look of the Ultra. The big deal for me with the 7 was the larger screen vs the earlier models, and the swipe to type (plus the fact that the 7 was the last non-ultra titanium model). I could still be happily using a 5 or 6, but the 7 is nice & should last you a long time.

FWIW, I have a hard time telling between the 44 & 45mm watches on my wrist. I think they look almost identical. I think it will look fine on your wrist.
Will do. Got a starlight 45mm waiting for pickup at Bestbuy. $100 off + $90 trade-in value. Great time to do it IMO.

Thanks!

Reactions: mk313
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.