Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPizzzle

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
See, this is why I’m waffling again. I guess I can always return the standard glass and buy the nano. I guess I’ll be outside all day on the 15th with my new iPad, trying to test it out.
I have a mb14 and I don’t believe it’s true sustained 1k in my brief research on the topic.

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Previous posts say the nano screen is created using a chemical process, not via etching, and is smooth. So it's not likely to help with that.

I have the same complaint about writing on the iPad, and I use a screen saver to help with that. Currently I'm using Astropad's Rock Paper Pencil.
Me too (ARRP). I think the screen clarity is not significantly diminished, and for reading, lack of any glare is entirely positive. I don't really watch much video on iPad, but when I do I don't bother to take RRP off.

I have both 27" iMac and Studio Display with nano option, but they are not really comparable to an iPad as the top layer is not meant to endure any significant physical contact.

I want to get the 13" Pro w/1G and am inclined to not get nano at the moment, but will probably change my mind several times before I purchase (the nearest Apple Store is a 4 hour drive away).

The distinction between 'chemical process' and 'laser etching' is not clear to me, if they both result in altering the surface in a similar way. It could just be cheaper to manufacture an iPad nano screen with the chemical process, given the glass they need to use for an iPad screen.

But I agree it is not likely to render it more natural to write and draw on, and I expect to use something like RRP either way to help with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: RickTaylor

Ryan0751

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
I went non-nano for a few reasons:

1. I saw in a "hands on" video that the nano texture doesn't extend to the bezels. So it'll be matte, with shiny bezels.
2. Although I have no evidence to the fact, I wonder about maintenance of the surface given there are special instructions for cleaning nano displays and the older iMacs.

I've never had a problem with the standard glass on my many iPads from the past, so that is what I stuck with.

Smartuser

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
For the surface maintenance (and for all other possible issues), I got AppleCare.

My experience with the nano-texture on the 2020 iMac and one of my Studio Displays has been nothing but unproblematic. They're not dull, washed out, blurry or anything like that. (I realize that the iPad has a different kind that can be touched.)

Some of the comparison pictures and videos I've seen showed light being reflected from the nano-texture. That'll always look kinda grayish, because it's scattered around and not reflected at the same angle it came in, as on glossy. I'm going to use this iPad Pro outside, for work and in uncontrolled environments where reliability and readability count.

I'm sure tandem OLED will come to the next MBPs also. I'll probably get glossy with those. (The reason I'm using iPads outside in parks etc. is that water splashes, sand, food etc. are much less of an issue than with an MBA/MBP).

Reactions: KPOM and zakarhino

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Marques said it's just like Apple's other nano texture finishes in that it will reduce 'pop', clarity, and can make pure black look a little grey. I'm glad I decided against it although I'm going to check it out in person to make sure I made the right decision.

The bottom line is it appears to be compromised ever so slightly. We will have to see in person. For some that tradeoff is worth it but I really doubt it retains absolutely every benefit from the glossy OLED screen with zero downside.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
I have a 1TB black 13" nano arriving on the 15th.

Interesting because when I selected nano texture on an 11" 1TB the second the livestream ended it told me June. Maybe 13" nano textures were ready to go but 11" is still backordered.

Did anyone order 11" nano texture with May 15th delivery?

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
The bottom line is it appears to be compromised ever so slightly. We will have to see in person. For some that tradeoff is worth it but I really doubt it retains absolutely every benefit from the glossy OLED screen with zero downside.
If there was no downside, it wouldn't be a special option, it would be the new and only Pro display.

Reactions: zakarhino

Smartuser

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
How so? The iPad Pro should have a smaller difference.
My post you replied to was a joke. It referenced his recent reviews that were about the worst car and the worst device he's ever reviewed. By narrowing it down to the 2024 iPad Pro nano-texture, it assured that it would be worst (because everything of which there is only one is always the best and worst of that narrow category).

Pains me to explain this, but sometimes I don't get jokes either.

arc of the universe

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2023
most truly memorable computer i ever owned was the Titanium PowerBook G4, and my model had non-glare glass.
no screen has ever been more enjoyable.

however, i was not a creator. and the PowerBook was not an iPad.

the usage case scenario for an M4 iPad with nano glass, that heavily markets its use of Tandem OLED, and super bright, high NIT etc etc, but making that very same screen non-glare, which will make those sharp blacks less black and sharp...? maybe the fake-creator who sits with his/her back to a bright window all day but wants the most expensive machine money can buy...?

i cant even begin to imagine what an apple Pencil does to it, if on the other side of your mouth you are telling people to only clean it with the special polishing cloth.

of course, we can expect that the technique to create my Titanium PowerBook G4 non-glare glass, and, this technique that is used on an iPad of 2024, is probably completely different.

but what is the case use scenario for this combination?

Last edited:

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Can't imagine it would be worth it to me. iPads are easy to move around and out of the glare's angle.

Smartuser

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
the usage case scenario for an M4 iPad with nano glass, that heavily markets its use of Tandem OLED, and super bright, etc etc, but making that very same screen non-glare, which will make those sharp blacks less black and sharp...?

i cant even begin to imagine what an apple Pencil does to it.
The use case for it has never been discussed, what's Apple thinking?

Same thing with the pencil, it's going to ruin the nano-texture, what's Apple thinking?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I wouldn't bother. I used to prefer matte screens but these days with HDR brightness and accurate colours I'm more inclined to stick with glossy. Which is something I never thought I'd be saying now if you'd asked me back in 2011.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
It would be very cool to have both. For those special occasions :)

It will be interesting going forward.

Branaghan

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2019

Considering how expensive this polishing cloth is, what is it made of? What I always used on regular iPADs:

++++++
Washable, reusable, and thorough cleaning and wiping microfiber cloth, pack of 5. Remove dust, dirt, fingerprints, and smudges from any electronic devices, lens, and glasses, alcohol-free, no-drip gel, for a thorough and easy cleanup without chemicals, leaving no fabric on your devices. Designed for use on electronic devices including PDAs, GPS, cell phones, digital camera screens / lens – SONY, Canon, Nikon, JVCs, Kodak, Sigma, etc, Apple iPhone, iPod, iPad, computers, jewelry, watches, TV screens, VCRs, notebook, CRT, LCD, HDTVs, moniters, camcorders, CD / DVD players, microscopes, glasses, sunglasses, eyeglasses, and other delicate surfaces
++++++

Is this a scam from Apple or we can't really use a microfiber one (mine is very gentle and has helped me for years - from JPCase) for that screen? Also, none of the reviews addressed this question: if we compare nano and regular glass and older iPADs, how much they differ?

That's because former iPAD Pros (non-OLED) already had an anti-reflective coating. For example, this was commented about the 9.7:

++++++++++++++++++++
Record Low Screen Reflectance and Performance in Ambient Lighting

The screens on all displays are mirrors that reflect light from everything that is illuminated anywhere in front of the screen (especially anything behind the viewers), including lamps, ceiling lights, windows, direct and indirect indoor and outdoor sunlight, which washes out the on-screen colors, degrades image contrast, and interferes with seeing the on-screen images. The lower the Screen Reflectance the better. In fact, decreasing the Screen Reflectance by 50 percent doubles the effective Contrast Ratio in Ambient Light, so it is very important.

To visually compare the differences in screen Reflectance for yourself, hold any Tablets or Smartphones side-by-side and turn off the displays so you just see the reflections. Those reflections are still there when you turn them on, and the brighter the ambient light the brighter the reflections.

The iPad Pro 9.7 has a very innovative low Reflectance screen that reflects just 1.7 percent of the ambient light by using a new Anti-Reflection AR coating. It has by far the lowest screen Reflectance of any mobile display, so its image colors and contrast in high ambient light will appear considerably better than on any other mobile display. It’s a major enhancement that reduces the reflected light glare from the screen by a very impressive factor of 3 to 1 compared to most Tablets and Smartphones.

Our Contrast Rating for High Ambient Light quantitatively measures screen visibility under bright Ambient Light – the higher the better. As a result of its high Brightness and very low Reflectance, the iPad Pro 9.7 has a Contrast Rating for High Ambient Light of 301, by far the highest that we have ever measured. See the Screen Reflections and Brightness and Contrast sections for measurements and details.

++++++++++++++++++++

Sem-t-tulo.jpg

The cheapest iPADs didn't have that. Perhaps Air and Pro both did. So what Apple really improved with the 2024 models? Did they remove completely from the 256 / 512 GB versions, and only put any coating in the 1 / 2 TB? If the answer is yes, this may also be a way of fooling us.

Last edited:

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
On the other hand, this review is more enthusiastically in support of the nano texture display:

So based on this everyone who had previously said the texture is not different and is not more “paper-like” is a moron. (emphasis on “more”, it’s NOT as paper-like as a Paperlike screen protector, but it is more paper-like)

Last edited:

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I've a glossy 13" coming tomorrow and a nano texture 11" coming in June. They will replace my 2018 12.9" and 11".

Had a matte screen protector on my 11" for years, purely to reduce reflections, not for protection. 11" is used entirely at work, I'm either outside, in bright conditions, or on moving trains so the matte film is a huge improvement as light is constantly changing. Looking forward to getting the nano-texture glass, I'm assuming it's going to be far better than my current 11" + manually applied matte film.

The one thing I'm curious about is the cloth - I've got to think any quality microfibre cloth will be fine. June 21st it arrives so there will be plenty of testimonials by then I expect.

Reactions: martens
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.