Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pb_1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2021
Hi everyone,

MBP M1 16" 2021 - macOS Monterey 12.7.2 here.

Secondary click behaves erratically. Very often (not always though), when I use 2-finger click, my trackpad takes it as a single finger click.

Another thing I'm noticing also is that sometimes my trackpad seems to react even without touching it, just hovering a finger slightly above it.

I have tried everything I could think of: "tap to click' both on and off, "force click" on and off, "click" light, medium and firm...and nothing helps. It can be pretty annoying.

I still have my old MacBook Pro Mid 2015, and while it is not as fast as my 2021 machine, its trackpad works flawlessly. Did Apple make better trackpads a few years ago, or is there something else I should be looking at

PROFESS0R

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2017
If you live in a cold environment, try putting lotion on your hands and test the trackpad again. I have had this exact problem before; dry hands may not create sufficient capacitance to trigger the trackpad.

Joe

Reactions: pb_1 and chabig

pb_1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2021
If you live in a cold environment, try putting lotion on your hands and test the trackpad again. I have had this exact problem before; dry hands may not create sufficient capacitance to trigger the trackpad.

Joe
Definitely not a cold environment. It's not like the trackpad is not triggered, it's just misbehaving, doing the single finger click, when I click with 2 fingers. And also as I said, my old 2015 MacBook never has any similar problems. Its trackpad is flawless.

pb_1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2021
I think I may have found the fix. It was getting worse and worse, or at least that's what it looked like to me, so I was getting close to bringing my MacBook to Apple, to take a look at it. But I did some more research, and found what seems to what have fixed it.

Someone on another forum suggested to delete all plist files, related to trackpad. I found 3 of those and removed them. After restarting my Mac, the problem appears to be gone, although it may be too early to say that conclusively. It's only been a few hours, but so far, so good. Trackpad hasn't acted up since....fingers crossed.

Reactions: JonnyMacx86
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.