Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackaveli

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2005
hi, i dont have my new powermac yet but im getting it soon.

I have a lot of files that i want to transfer to my new powermac when i get it.
i have some programs that i want to transfer from the powerbook to powermac. if i transfer the program with all its files from the right directory to my powermac will the program work? or do i need to do an install cause i borrowed the installer cd from my brother's office at his work so i dont know if i can get it again?

also what is the best way to transfer files from powerbook to powermac?

should i just turn on file sharing and than just transfer the files like that? or is there a better way?

also after i transfer the files to my powermac should i run disk utility or something and run that thing to do disk checks? i forget what its called.

Thanks.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
The easiest way is to startup your old computer in target disk mode. I forget how to do it off the top of my head, but if you search the archives for "target disk mode" it should tell you all about it.

connect a firewire cable btwn the 2 macs and startup the old computer holding down the letter T key on the keyboard.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
mackaveli said:
hi, i dont have my new powermac yet but im getting it soon.
Congratulations! I'm sure you are looking forward to getting it.

I have a lot of files that i want to transfer to my new powermac when i get it.
i have some programs that i want to transfer from the powerbook to powermac. if i transfer the program with all its files from the right directory to my powermac will the program work?
Most applications require only that you copy them from the Applications folder on your PowerBook to the Applications folder on your Power Mac. You might as well try it the simple way and see if it works. Even though applications look like a single file, they are actually folders, so copying that "file" will copy everything in that application's folder.

Some applications install extra files in other locations, which you can often find by searching your disk for the name of the application and also searching for the name of the company that produced the program. You don't need to copy any files that are under folder /Applications/your-program-name, since you will have already copied them. For example, if you find a folder for the program or company in the "/System/Library/Application Support" folder, you might need to copy it to the same location on the Power Mac.

or do i need to do an install cause i borrowed the installer cd from my brother's office at his work so i dont know if i can get it again?
By policy, MacRumors discourages violations of software licensing. If you are talking about commercial software, you might check the license agreement to see if you should buy another copy. If you do, the copying issue is of course moot since you'll have your own CD.

also what is the best way to transfer files from powerbook to powermac? should i just turn on file sharing and than just transfer the files like that? or is there a better way?
Physically connect them or connect them both to the same hub or router with Ethernet cables. (See this article about whether you need a crossover cable if you connect them directly.) If their network settings are right, the Finder's "Go -> Connect to Server" menu choice will let you Browse from one to the other, giving your login name and password on one to mount its disk. Then you can open windows on both disks and drag files back and forth.

Target disk mode is similar, letting you connect one as a local disk on the other. The effect is the same: you can copy files and folders back and forth. Here is how to do it.

also after i transfer the files to my powermac should i run disk utility or something and run that thing to do disk checks? i forget what its called.
I don't think this is necessary. The application is named Disk Utility and is in the Applications/Utilities folder. If you want to run it, go ahead. Perhaps it will find a few "permissions" settings to fix.

mackaveli

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2005
thanks for the tips.

Yah i got to check about the software they are pretty old and just small applications but i'[ll check the licensing agreement and so forth. thanks for the heads up

Also so my powermac should still be fast even thoguh i copy files from my powerbook to powermac? just want to make sure caus ei dont want to cause the speed to decrease in anyway.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
mackaveli said:
Also so my powermac should still be fast even thoguh i copy files from my powerbook to powermac? just want to make sure caus ei dont want to cause the speed to decrease in anyway.
Installing applications won't slow down your Power Mac. Only running multiple applications at once can slow down other applications, since they all share the CPU.

So install whatever software you like, and don't worry about performance unless you want to run lots of programs at once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.