Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nawoo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
whats the point of true tone? the screen is too yellow and not color accurate

Ariel32

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
My screen is ridiculously yellow with True Tone, if I put it next to my other phone.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Definitely notice it is an odd color compared to my previous iPhones. It is borderline hard to read anything. Never had this problem in the past.

Reactions: MrGimper

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
if using at night, just bring the brightness all the way down to like 5%
It's not the same thing, the brightness is not what causes eye fatigue as much as the colour temperature of the light. A warmer screen means less strain on your eyes.

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
What is True Tone?...

Devices with True Tone technology feature sensors that measure the ambient light colour and brightness. The device then uses this information to automatically adjust its display, so it can correct white points and illumination based on your environmental lighting in order to render the right kinds of white under any conditions. This technology isn't new as some desktop monitors have been offering it for a long time and it's no longer new for Apple now either of course.

The thing to remember is that the human optical system is constantly comparing near-white to perfectly white and that a "better" white can affect our perceived contrast of whatever we're looking at, meaning an adjusted white point should be more comfortable on our eyes. It also means that devices with True Tone should be more readable in direct sunlight, thus improving their usability ever so subtly.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
One of the first things I always do on a new iPhone is turn off that stupid "TrueTone," which has always given screens a disgusting yellow hue.

• Haha
Reactions: Surfsalot

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Love True Tone

I don’t even see any “yellow” anymore. Having it off makes the screen look way too blue.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Thread revival time.

I've just moved from an iPhone 11 to 12 Pro. I've noticed the s reen on the 12 is considerable more yellow than my 11.

I ha e true tone ON on both phones and am comparing the screen colour/tone with the phones side by side. Is it normal for the 12 to be more yellow than the 11 when side by side?

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Thread revival time.

I've just moved from an iPhone 11 to 12 Pro. I've noticed the s reen on the 12 is considerable more yellow than my 11.

I ha e true tone ON on both phones and am comparing the screen colour/tone with the phones side by side. Is it normal for the 12 to be more yellow than the 11 when side by side?
Don’t compare screens side by side. You’ll drive yourself insane.

Use truetone and get accustomed to it. Your eyes will adapt.

OceanWraith

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2023
Turkiye
This issue is a much discussed topic. But the most incomprehensible part is about how accurately the screen gives white color. In other words, due to differences in production, some screens can give a completely white color, while some screens give colors in warmer tones.

When you turn on True Tone, on screens with a warmer tone (that is, what we call yellow screens), it becomes very yellowish, as if Night Shift was turned on. However, on screens with normal white tone, when True Tone is turned on, it does not disturb that much. Therefore, users make different complaints with different experiences.

First of all, you need to check whether your screen gives a white or yellowish color when True Tone and Night Shift are turned off. You can do this by looking at the same model phones of your friends, if you have them, or by bringing your own phone side by side at Apple dealers. If your screen is yellow, you will see more yellow screens at night and in closed areas due to True Tone.

However, the main task of True Tone isn't to make the screen yellow like Night Shift. It is to maintain white balance. However, in yellowish screens, unfortunately, this situation prevents the yellowish screen from giving a completely white color.

It's not an unusually critical issue. However, if you have a yellowish screen and this is a problem that bothers you, you can request to change your phone with a new one.

Last edited:
Reactions: scouser75

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
This issue is a much discussed topic. But the most incomprehensible part is about how accurately the screen gives white color. In other words, due to differences in production, some screens can give a completely white color, while some screens give colors in warmer tones.

When you turn on True Tone, on screens with a warmer tone (that is, what we call yellow screens), it becomes very yellowish, as if Night Shift was turned on. However, on screens with normal white tone, when True Tone is turned on, it does not disturb that much. Therefore, users make different complaints with different experiences.

First of all, you need to check whether your screen gives a white or yellowish color when True Tone and Night Shift are turned off. You can do this by looking at the same model phones of your friends, if you have them, or by bringing your own phone side by side at Apple dealers. If your screen is yellow, you will see more yellow screens at night and in closed areas due to True Tone.

However, the main task of True Tone isn't to make the screen yellow like Night Shift. It is to maintain white balance. However, in yellowish screens, unfortunately, this situation prevents the yellowish screen from giving a completely white color.

It's not an unusually critical issue. However, if you have a yellowish screen and this is a problem that bothers you, you can request to change your phone with a new one.
Thanks Oceanwraith for such a helpful reply. I compared my 12 with both my 11 and my wife's 10R. Both the other phones were perefect white. My 12 is without doubt very yellow. Oh well, just gonna have to get used to it 😁
I would like to use True Tone but it’s a little too yellowish for me on the 15 Pro Max
Have you turned off true tone?

Reactions: OceanWraith

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
I forgot to mention, the iPhone 11 and XR also had much more clarity - woth TT on and off.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
True Tone has been constantly enabled for me on every device since my 9.7-inch iPad Pro was the first device with it. I can’t have it off, loved it ever since it debuted back in 2016.

Reactions: scouser75
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.