Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
startergo - OK. Step one I've built and run both rom-parser and rom-fixer with the same results as your example. A bit later I'll reboot into windows and flash this updated VBIOS to the card and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

./rom-parser WorkingGPUNewPN.rom
Valid ROM signature found @0h, PCIR offset 258h
PCIR: type 0 (x86 PC-AT), vendor: 1002, device: 67df, class: 030000
PCIR: revision 0, vendor revision: f32
Valid ROM signature found @ec00h, PCIR offset 1ch
PCIR: type 3 (EFI), vendor: 1002, device: 67df, class: 030000
PCIR: revision 0, vendor revision: 0
EFI: Signature Valid, Subsystem: Boot, Machine: X64
Last image

./rom-fixer WorkingGPUNewPN.rom

Modify vendor ID 1002? (y/n): n
Modify device ID 67df? (y/n): n

Last image
ROM checksum is invalid, fix? (y/n): y

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
startergo - OK. Step one I've built and run both rom-parser and rom-fixer with the same results as your example. A bit later I'll reboot into windows and flash this updated VBIOS to the card and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

./rom-parser WorkingGPUNewPN.rom
Last image

./rom-fixer WorkingGPUNewPN.rom

Last image
ROM checksum is invalid, fix? (y/n): y
I don't think that tool calculates the ROM file checksum correctly. But this is much more accurate:

Here is a calculation:

Last edited:

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
I don't think that tool calculates the ROM file checksum correctly. But this is much more accurate:

Here is a calculation:
Well I had the same issue (using the first tool) - after changing the "6Q" to "4E" and then adding 0xE to the date and using the fixer I still get no Apple boot menu (the display stays totally dark).

I'll look at the other tool though if the checksum is wrong would I be able to flash the VBIOS to the card?

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
Have you tested all ports?
Only the two display port ports - I don't have a DVI or HDMI cable for my Apple Cinema Display (mini-DP). Neither worked.

WIth the "working" original VBIOS both Display Ports work.

It's mostly an academic exercise at this point - when booting a supported OS (like Mojave - without OC) I get the ORINOCO Framebuffer with my "original" VBIOS which matches the Apple Developer Kit PN except for the 6Q at the end instead of the 4E.

I'm just wondering why such a small change to the VBIOS and following the procedure in the 1st post won't work for me. It usually means I'm making some simple error.....🤷‍♂️

I appreciate your patience. I have definitely learned a lot from this forum.

MacNB2

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
It's mostly an academic exercise at this point - when booting a supported OS (like Mojave - without OC) I get the ORINOCO Framebuffer

In your OpenCore config.plist, disable the Whatevergreen.kext. This kext is responsible for setting the graphics environment for macOS and infect the framebuffer.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
In your OpenCore config.plist, disable the Whatevergreen.kext. This kext is responsible for setting the graphics environment for macOS and infect the framebuffer.
What would that do to hardware acceleration?

MacNB2

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
What would that do to hardware acceleration?

It will effect DRM playback and H/W acceleration but it is to test if OpenCore is causing your issue.
If you get a boot screen then you know there's a potential issue with it. But your problem still persistent then OpenCore is not your problem.

Also with RX580 Pulse model, there may be a problem with the VBIOS where you only can see boot screen when the VBIOS is in gaming mode and not in the compute mode. Check the VBIOS switch on the card.

Also, with the enablement of EnableGop firmware mod (to either the Mac's ROM or the GPU's VBIOS), there's no reason to mod the GPU to "Mac Edition". That is, just use EnbaleGop.

MacNB2

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
How does that help the OP ?
It's just a used RX580 and the ad states "With this Metal-compatible graphics card installed, you will not be able to see the Apple logo at boot, nor can you access boot options"

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
It will effect DRM playback and H/W acceleration but it is to test if OpenCore is causing your issue.
If you get a boot screen then you know there's a potential issue with it. But your problem still persistent then OpenCore is not your problem.

Also with RX580 Pulse model, there may be a problem with the VBIOS where you only can see boot screen when the VBIOS is in gaming mode and not in the compute mode. Check the VBIOS switch on the card.

Also, with the enablement of EnableGop firmware mod (to either the Mac's ROM or the GPU's VBIOS), there's no reason to mod the GPU to "Mac Edition". That is, just use EnbaleGop.
I do understand that there is no way to turn an RX 580 into a video card with an EFI bios but that EnableGop makes this obsolete.

To be clear - here's my current situation and it is all working as expected. My questions were my attempt to understand the situation better and to keep learning.

1. I have EnableGop added to my @tsialex provided reconstructed ROM which gives me the Apple Boot Menu with the Option key on boot.
2. I have a Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580 (just installed - was using a RX 560). It supports dual bios.
3. I have OpenCore installed (manual method) to a thumb drive that I use to boot Monterey
4. I also have Mojave installed and use it to boot without OC as a safety.
5. I realized after trying Mojave that my RX 580 - with a slightly different PN that the Apple Dev Kit RX 580 (-O6Q vs -O4E) - does provide the ORINOCO Framebuffer when booting without OpenCore
6. As part of my config.plist I have enabled hardware acceleration and am happy with it as it is working as expected and desired. This provides the AMD,RadeonFramebuffer in Monterey.

Before I realized that my RX 580 does provide the ORINOCO Framebuffer in Mojave (without OC) I tried to follow the first post and could not modify my VBIOS successfully. I made several attempts and every time I flashed the edited VBIOS my card would not work - I got no video signal at all - not even the Apple Boot Menu. I was trying to learn what I was doing wrong as the first post seemed fairly straight forward to follow.

At this point I am all good though still wondering what I was doing wrong in editing the VBIOS according to the first post.

I appreciate everyone helping me muddle my way through all of this.

Regards,
sfalatko

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I do understand that there is no way to turn an RX 580 into a video card with an EFI bios but that EnableGop makes this obsolete.

To be clear - here's my current situation and it is all working as expected. My questions were my attempt to understand the situation better and to keep learning.

1. I have EnableGop added to my @tsialex provided reconstructed ROM which gives me the Apple Boot Menu with the Option key on boot.
2. I have a Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580 (just installed - was using a RX 560). It supports dual bios.
3. I have OpenCore installed (manual method) to a thumb drive that I use to boot Monterey
4. I also have Mojave installed and use it to boot without OC as a safety.
5. I realized after trying Mojave that my RX 580 - with a slightly different PN that the Apple Dev Kit RX 580 (-O6Q vs -O4E) - does provide the ORINOCO Framebuffer when booting without OpenCore
6. As part of my config.plist I have enabled hardware acceleration and am happy with it as it is working as expected and desired. This provides the AMD,RadeonFramebuffer in Monterey.

Before I realized that my RX 580 does provide the ORINOCO Framebuffer in Mojave (without OC) I tried to follow the first post and could not modify my VBIOS successfully. I made several attempts and every time I flashed the edited VBIOS my card would not work - I got no video signal at all - not even the Apple Boot Menu. I was trying to learn what I was doing wrong as the first post seemed fairly straight forward to follow.

At this point I am all good though still wondering what I was doing wrong in editing the VBIOS according to the first post.

I appreciate everyone helping me muddle my way through all of this.

Regards,
sfalatko
Try the attached vBios. It is a part number:
113-4E3531U-O4V
which is one of the Orinoco framebuffers according to this thread. It has also the EnableGOP driver so it will produce a boot screen on every cMP5,1 as well.

Attachments

• Sapphire.RX580.8192.170310_GOP.rom.zip
    121.2 KB · Views: 93
Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
Try the attached vBios. It is a part number:

which is one of the Orinoco framebuffers according to this thread. It has also the EnableGOP driver so it will produce a boot screen on every cMP5,1 as well.
Thanks. That vBios worked. I get the Apple Boot Picker and the ORINOCO Framebuffer when booting without OC.

I had tried that vBIOS from TechPowerUp (170310) before and it wouldn't work on my card - looks like EnableGop fixed that.

Reactions: startergo

murf1972

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2023
I have purchased the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB with 113-4E353BU-O4E. Does it support to have boot screen with ALT press? I don't see it.

murf1972

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2023
Any attached modified ROM file for the 113-4E353BU-O4E? I only found it for 113-4E3531U-O4V. I flashed with it, but rolled back due to random flushed screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.