Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
The Apple TV App was corrupt on RC2. I downloaded the final version (same rev) and installed again. It is still corrupt and cannot be launched.

Isn't this on the sealed snapshot? How can this be?

Any ideas on how to fix it?

I can see the app in the Finder, but it is "not visible" in terminal.

Last edited:

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Download Appcleaner. Go to File, Open, select TV app, delete everything except the TV app which you can't which is grayed out. Then relaunch it. It will be like you are launching it for the first time so any settings will have to be reapplied.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Well, this does not do it, but you are on the right track. I have a back up Administrator account. Loading it, all is well.
This indicated the apps are not corrupted but a database or preferences in my account is screwed up. It's Finder or launch database related. App caches, containers, and prefs do not appear to have anything to do with it.
I have also had Finder issues with it arbitrarily changing font sizes.

Last edited:

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
use Onyx to clear out and rebuild the font cache. Additionally check in Fontbook for duplicates and potential other problems. If only your user is affected delete the TV app pref files. Additionally it might be a good idea to check and repair disk permissions using Disk Utility.

Last edited:

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Managed to fix it, but it was quite a “journey.”
  • Safe boot did not fix it.
  • Onyx is not yet available and would likely not have fixed the problem.
  • Logging into another account did not show the issue.
  • Changing the Home folder of my account to first a restored and then an empty one did not fix the issue. This meant it was not governed by anything in the $HOME folder hierarchy.
The solution was to create a new account and then assign the my main home folder fixing the ownership. Doing this via commandline makes it fairly quick. When that looked good I deleted the original account and change the name and User ID fo the new account back to my original one (501).

I always have my home account as 501, because it makes it easy to access home folders across multi boots or mounted disks.

Various security settings had to be reentered, but all was well.
I am not sure what the macOS system user database is called these days, since the days of /etc/passwd are long gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.