Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
It is unclear why they can't keep their cloud services up consistently. I mean heck they use AWS. Google can keep zero outages for weeks.
I’m not saying Apple don’t have issues more, but Google only just qualify for the statement “keep zero outages for weeks”. They don’t keep them for even up to a month:

Ref: https://downdetector.co.uk/status/google/archive/2021/06/

CompanyDateStarted
Google08/06/202111:01 a.m
Google20/05/20213:28 p.m.
Google12/04/20212:09 p.m.
Google08/04/20219:56 a.m.
Google25/03/20213:28 p.m.
Google24/03/20214:44 p.m.
Google24/03/20216:32 a.m.
Google23/03/20214:12 p.m.
Google23/03/20216:12 a.m.
Google22/03/20218:12 p.m.
Google17/03/20214:56 p.m.
Google23/02/20218:37 p.m.

Oh, they did have a good month in January.

Ben999222

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2020
Bristol
Works well for me in the UK, did a speed test and my down speed was only 3mbps (207Mbps as opposed to 210Mbps) less than normal
Pages load at the same speed as normal.

It's using a cloud flare server in London (was a Fastly one this morn) - maybe because less people are on the beta in England?

fncd

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2020
General browsing seems I can’t tell the difference with privacy relay on or off.
I've not noticed any speed difference either. It seems that some websites (best buy for instance) continually ask for a 2FA code when Private Relay is turned on, but for the most part it works as advertised.

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention - my corp wifi doesn't pop up the login page with private relay enabled.

Reactions: I7guy

mjcharlton71

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2011
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I’d be happier with Private Relay if it didn’t keep turning itself back on randomly! Idea’s sound, but as I’m using PiHole + VPN on my home network, it’s damn annoying to have those bypassed when PR is enabled (I understand clearly why, as well).

Reactions: planetf1

calmelb

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2016
I’d be happier with Private Relay if it didn’t keep turning itself back on randomly! Idea’s sound, but as I’m using PiHole + VPN on my home network, it’s damn annoying to have those bypassed when PR is enabled (I understand clearly why, as well).
More than likely this part is a beta bug, I imagine in the full release it will stick per the wifi setting, the safari setting, or the whole phone setting

jettie1767

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Seems to be stable this week with beta 2. I had to turn it off over a week ago on beta 1 because any sites I go to would just hang or take so long to render.

Last edited:

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
It doesn't really stop tracking anyway given that many trivial IP leaking strategies still work on iOS Safari (e.g, WebRTC leak). Probably would be best turning it off if it's slowing down your experience.

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
I’ve got it enabled on Beta 2 and so far no major slowdowns like I was experiencing. I’ve seen it slow down some, but the longest I’ve waited is maybe 10-15 seconds. I’ll continue to see how it goes.

Reactions: s2mike

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I don't know. It seems Apple frequently has icloud issues of some type regularly.

It is unclear why they can't keep their cloud services up consistently. I mean heck they use AWS. Google can keep zero outages for weeks.

I mean look at Apple Card, it is down again https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/. I have never heard of a regular credit card being "down" from being usable.

The only issue with this is making that additional hop, and if Apple is down you have zero internet without turning it off.
Oh so Apple Card is down again? Oh wow…
This has become beyond ridiculous tbh. For a company transitioning to service-oriented this is not fun.

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
Glad to say that my issues with Private Relay have completely disappeared. No major slowdowns at all. There's an occasional hangup every so often but only a few extra seconds, instead of a minute+. In addition, I've been seeing a lot less verification checks, unlike beta 1.

Glad beta 2 fixed it. I can finally properly use this great privacy feature.

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
I turned it off. Found one site that I use daily that gets blocked saying it's not available in Europe. I'm in the US. Apparently private relay is routing my traffic through somewhere in Europe.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Private relay, despite not mentioning app privacy, does “work” on apps, in a negative way.
One of my game starts to become increasingly difficult to log into, but turning off private relay restores full functionary. The worst part is, every time you restart the setting turns back on. Despite being beta, I’m very confident such behavior will remain, much like Windows defender in windows 10 turning back on from off after each restart.

Reactions: bowens

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Didn't notice any speed slowdowns over here.
Connected over either my 100 Mbits Wi-Fi or the 5G network.

That being said, things are encrypted, thus it will more likely have to transfer more data to show you the same thing, so yes it could impact speed.

Last edited:

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Is Private Relay only working in Safari? Or does it work for all outbound traffic from your device?
If only for Safari, I fail to see the advantage of this (other than being free of course) over a regular VPN service?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Is Private Relay only working in Safari? Or does it work for all outbound traffic from your device?
If only for Safari, I fail to see the advantage of this (other than being free of course) over a regular VPN service?
Private relay works for safari and some apps. The advantage is as long as you don’t to geohopping or doing network-wide encryption (iCloud+ will not work for a router, unless you literally spare a Mac as a router) or such, private relay might be just enough for daily stuff like that.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Private relay works for safari and some apps. The advantage is as long as you don’t to geohopping or doing network-wide encryption (iCloud+ will not work for a router, unless you literally spare a Mac as a router) or such, private relay might be just enough for daily stuff like that.

Thanks for clarification!
I don't do geohopping, but I prefer having everything go through the VPN so looks like I'll be sticking with NordVPN for a while longer :)

boylerman

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
Massachusetts
For some reason I cannot enable Private Relay in iOS 15 beta. It tells me I need to upgrade my iCloud subscription to iCloud+, but when I try to, it tells me that my account cannot be upgraded at this time? Very strange.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
For some reason I cannot enable Private Relay in iOS 15 beta. It tells me I need to upgrade my iCloud subscription to iCloud+, but when I try to, it tells me that my account cannot be upgraded at this time? Very strange.
If a restart doesn’t fix the problem, just wait for a few betas. Right now private relay has a very good chance to just break your app and/or your connection to certain websites and servers.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
I only browse macrumors and news sites and tech news sites so dont need any extra privacy, so have it turned off, speed wind ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.