Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antibolo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2017
Just updated my M2 iPad Pro 12.9 to iOS 17 and now whenever it’s plugged to my LG Ultrafine 5K on the Thunderbolt port, it just keeps it on whenever it’s on sleep? It didn’t do this before 17, the Ultrafine went to sleep whenever the iPad did. Now it just stays on with a blank picture (but with the backlight still running), until I physically disconnect the iPad.

This is fairly annoying, as it wastes power, produces unnecessary light, and potentially shortens the lifespan of the backlight. Basically, I can’t just leave my iPad plugged to the Ultrafine to charge it anymore, which I used to do all the time, until today.

I also have a M2 MacBook Pro I use with said Ultrafine and I haven’t updated it to Sonoma yet, and now I’m afraid it will have the same stupid issue, ugh…

Does anyone else see this problem since updating to 17?

Last edited:

antibolo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2017
Seems that toggling display mirroring fixed it, now it does the proper thing, with both mirroring off and on. Hopefully it stays that way…

antibolo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2017
Seems it starts doing it again whenever my iPad has been rebooted.

Oh well, at least the fix above still works (until the next reboot).

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Was there already a thread about this? I didn’t find it.

I experienced it first hand when I owned this display and that was back in the Mojave days. It still did it up until Big Sur when I sold it.

antibolo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2017
I don’t think we’re talking about the same thing. I never had this issue before iOS 17 (and never on Mac (so far)).

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I don’t think we’re talking about the same thing. I never had this issue before iOS 17 (and never on Mac (so far)).
This was an issue with iPadOS 16. I can’t remember if it was addressed with a 16.x release, or if we had to wait for the iPadOS 17 beta for it to be fixed.

It was really annoying for a while. Sad to see the problem being around again.

antibolo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2017
This was an issue with iPadOS 16. I can’t remember if it was addressed with a 16.x release, or if we had to wait for the iPadOS 17 beta for it to be fixed.

It was really annoying for a while. Sad to see the problem being around again.
I never had this problem in 16, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.