Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Could you try copying something on iOS and pasting into Spotlight or Terminal? Curious to know if it's just me having the odd inconsistencies.
I do not seem to be able to paster into Spotlight or Terminal. Hmm.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I do not seem to be able to paster into Spotlight or Terminal. Hmm.

Thanks for the confirmation. I guess this really is why Apple says it doesn't work in that direction right now; more accurately it doesn't work consistently.

Regarding it trashing clipboards, I read it only lasts 2 minutes, wonder if the original clipboard returns after that time?

I just tried that and 5 minutes later it's still on my clipboard. I like the idea of universal clipboard but, as implemented now (and I'm not even talking about the inconsistency paste part), it's a pretty horrible feature imo. Hopefully it'll be fleshed out a bit.

Reactions: GreyOS

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Outlook 2016 here so not quite like for like. I looked for something 1st party not working on my end and found Spotlight doesn't work. Could you try that?

Also, in Safari if you go to http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_forms.asp you'll find a First Name and Last Name text boxes. Can you confirm whether those work too?

You are correct, I was on Outlook 2016. I have a PC and Mac at work, and live in Outlook 2013 on the PC, so I had forgotten it was the newer version (2013 didnt even exist for the mac iirc).

The functionality works in Outlook 2016, the website you linked, paste is not working for me. Spotlight DID work for me, but it had about a 1 second pause after I hit paste on the iPhone.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
You are correct, I was on Outlook 2016. I have a PC and Mac at work, and live in Outlook 2013 on the PC, so I had forgotten it was the newer version (2013 didnt even exist for the mac iirc).

The functionality works in Outlook 2016, the website you linked, paste is not working for me. Spotlight DID work for me, but it had about a 1 second pause after I hit paste on the iPhone.

Weird stuff. In playing around yesterday one of the fields that wasn't working for me worked once and only once and I couldn't reproduce it no matter how many times I pasted or how long I waited. Definitely a beta! ;)

Reactions: DaveOP

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
Out of curiosity, won't this feature create conflict when both devices involved are being used by different people simultaneously?

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Out of curiosity, won't this feature create conflict when both devices involved are being used by different people simultaneously?
It will if both are signed into the same iCloud account and using the copy/paste feature.

Keep in mind these devices, though they can serve multiple people, are meant to be personal devices.

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
It will if both are signed into the same iCloud account and using the copy/paste feature.

Keep in mind these devices, though they can serve multiple people, are meant to be personal devices.
I understand all that, but it's still a glaring lack of foresight.
Especially now that they're positioning the iPad as a HomeKit hub.
Maybe if we were presented with two options: Paste, and Paste from "device".

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
Personal as in you use one Apple ID per device. Apple intends people to have their own device rather than one device to share between everyone. Not HomeKit related.
My point with HomeKit was that any device positioned as a 'hub' is probably meant to be used by more than one person.
And you're completely wrong about the ID per device. They want everyone to have multiple devices. That's how the whole concept of continuity works.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My point with HomeKit was that any device positioned as a 'hub' is probably meant to be used by more than one person.
And you're completely wrong about the ID per device. They want everyone to have multiple devices. That's how the whole concept of continuity works.

HomeKit doesn't even use the same services as any continuity feature and is no way related to the topic of Universal Clipboard.

No I wasn't wrong, you read what I wrote wrong. I said nothing about a single person having multiple devices (which continuity relies on and what Apple wants.) I said it's Apple's intention for multiple people to each have their own devices. That is why many features are tied to a single Apple ID/iCloud account.

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
HomeKit doesn't even use the same services as any continuity feature and is no way related to the topic of Universal Clipboard.

No I wasn't wrong, you read what I wrote wrong. I said nothing about a single person having multiple devices (which continuity relies on and what Apple wants.) I said it's Apple's intention for multiple people to each have their own devices. That is why many features are tied to a single Apple ID/iCloud account.
For the last time, I only brought up the implications of iPad as a 'hub' device. More than one person uses a hub. Did not say or even infer in any way that HomeKit was related.
My only point was that there is a much better way to implement universal clipboard.
I didn't misread:
"Personal as in you use one Apple ID per device"

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
For the last time, I only brought up the implications of iPad as a 'hub' device. More than one person uses a hub. Did not say or even infer in any way that HomeKit was related.
My only point was that there is a much better way to implement universal clipboard.
I didn't misread:
"Personal as in you use one Apple ID per device"

You must have an iPad or iPhone from the future to be able to attach more than one Apple ID/iCloud account to a device.

You implied that since HomeKit and the new Home app can act as a hub for home automation then why could it do the same for clipboard. Totally two seperate services. Universal Clipboard uses Continuity, which uses a users Apple ID/iCloud account and is only accessible through other devices tied to that same Apple ID/iCloud account. Which there can only be one of those attached to a single device. Hence why the way Universal Clipboard works is not a lack of foresight as you said it to be. It's how Continuity works.

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
You must have an iPad or iPhone from the future to be able to attach more than one Apple ID/iCloud account to a device.

You implied that since HomeKit and the new Home app can act as a hub for home automation then why could it do the same for clipboard. Totally two seperate services. Universal Clipboard uses Continuity, which uses a users Apple ID/iCloud account and is only accessible through other devices tied to that same Apple ID/iCloud account. Which there can only be one of those attached to a single device. Hence why the way Universal Clipboard works is not a lack of foresight as you said it to be. It's how Continuity works.
Who said anything about multiple IDs per device?
And no, that is not what I implied. I just said since they've positioned the iPad as a 'hub' device, it's quite obvious more than one person uses said device.
I don't want clipboard to work that way.
What I want is for a menu that stores separate paste from 'sources'
I don't understand why you're so confused.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who said anything about multiple IDs per device?
And no, that is not what I implied. I just said since they've positioned the iPad as a 'hub' device, it's quite obvious more than one person uses said device.
I don't want clipboard to work that way.
What I want is for a menu that stores separate paste from 'sources'
I don't understand why you're so confused.

I'm confused because you're confusing and seem confused about it all yourself.

Apple isn't positioning the iPad as a hub to be used by multiple people. I don't know It can only "act" as a hub for home automation devices through the Home app, so you can while at the office, check on things and lock doors or turn on/off lights if you forgot something before leaving. I don't know why you keep saying Apple is positioning the iPad as a hub for everyone. It is for a single feature for a single app. (It also uses a 4th gen Apple TV)

You originally asked iwouldn't it conflict when two devices were being used by two people at the same time. The answer was given to you by another user, that yes, it will IF the two devices are using the same iCloud account. Because a device can only be tied to a single account at a time and in your scenario was two device, two people, one account.

This is where you seem to have gotten confused and didn't understand what the "personal" meant (which meant that your devices are your devices and any feature that uses your iCloud account will be spread to all devices signed into that account.) And not understanding the clipboard feature is a continuity feature. An iCloud feature. There is no way around how it works. Should Apple kill continuity off just because you don't want it to work that way?

Having one device to be used by everyone in the home is not what Apple intends, like you keep claiming is what they do want people doing. That defeats the whole purpose of all the iCloud features and syncing info across your devices. Apple wants everyone to have their own, set up with their own iCloud.

SaguaroSeven

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2020
Washington DC
Perhaps this info will help someone: I've noticed that Universal Clipboard doesn't work some 3rd Party apps. Just now I tested: doesn't work in Firefox, Things, or Atom, but works fine in Apple Apps and IINA.

I can't paste into Firefox or Atom windows and fields, but paste works fine into Messages, Safari and IINA. Once you paste the info into a working app, you can copy and re-paste as a work-around. After all the troubleshooting I've done in the past, this was a surprise to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.