Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steamboatwillie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2003
Memphis, TN
I have a Snow iMac 600mhz that has flaky video on it. I'm using the external VGA port because the internal monitor is no longer there (I'm using an ATX power supply that I modded, the logic board is mounted in a PC case) Anyway back to the video problem. The color is really bad, very washed out basic colors only. White seems ok, as does black, but there seems to be no grays at all, like very bad contrast. Also the whole on screen image looks 'smeared' to the left with a blue blur under every element on screen swiping from left to right. The monitor I am using is fine and has been tested with another computer. The hardware test says the video ram is fine.

Obviously I am not asking for someone to diagnose my video section over the internet. What I am wondering is are there any companies that can upgrade the on board video by sending them the Logic Board? I know they do this for some processor upgrades.

Thanks!

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
While I'm sure there are people who are capable of figuring out this hardware change, I doubt anyone would do it on a machine that wasn't their own. As you know the video card in the iMacs is soldered to the logic board, and I can imagine about 100 different things going wrong and them not wanting to replace you rmachine. So I guess my answer is no, I've never heard of a company that does this kind of swap.

Regards,
Gus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.