Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Nov 28, 2010
located
It will, but in the event of a hiccup and you losing all that data, you can always fall back onto a backup via Time Machine or a bootable clone.

iThink Apple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
Thanks! Whats the best way to backup your data? Time Machine or bootable clone?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks! Whats the best way to backup your data? Time Machine or bootable clone?

I do not know which is the best for your case, especially if you do not seem to be backing up right now, but the advantage of cloning is immediate recovery due to being able to boot from the clone, work from the clone while the clone is getting cloned back to the frelled up install.
Using Time Machine is more cumbersome when restoring a full system, but using TM lets you restore from any backed up point in time and also lets you recover data from any backed up point in time.

Therefore many use both backup systems, once for immediate system recovery and once for a more accurate data recovery.

I simply use cloning, as I have had my share of bad experience with TM already and clones are quite easily maintained.

Galaxas0

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
I hate upgrade-installing, but here's what I did:

Before install: Backed up all data required to an external HD, and deleted them from the OS X hard drive. Then created a temporary admin account, and used that to delete all other user accounts. Also remove any WiFi networks saved.

After install: Boot into single user mode and follow these instructions to completely "reset" (just makes you go through the setup assistant again) the Mac. http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20121202080339900

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.