Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laurencia7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Hey guys,

I know my Macbook A1181 is outdated, and frankly you can fnd them on ebay for like 50 bucks but I love it, and cannot afford a new one. That being said, I upgraded the OSX two years ago to Snow Leopard, and really liked it .... but the reviews for El Captain are terrible. I cannot find the Lion, Mavericks, and Yosemite anywhere on the app store.

Where can I find other OSX versions?
Is Yosemite better than El Cap?

What would be the best fit?

Thanks in advance
L

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
You will not find the other OS X versions unless you previously downloaded them from the App. Store. Your best bet would be to find a friend who is running the version that you want (or has run it at some point) and get them to download a fresh copy for you.

No, Yosemite is not better then El Cap. El Cap was intended to be the “more polished” version of Yosemite. I have tried both and I am now firmly (and happily) back with Mavericks.

I think the best fit for your system would be Mavericks, especially if you switch out that old HDD with a SSD. It will literally breathe new life into your system.

Laurencia7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
You will not find the other OS X versions unless you previously downloaded them from the App. Store. Your best bet would be to find a friend who is running the version that you want (or has run it at some point) and get them to download a fresh copy for you.

No, Yosemite is not better then El Cap. El Cap was intended to be the “more polished” version of Yosemite. I have tried both and I am now firmly (and happily) back with Mavericks.

I think the best fit for your system would be Mavericks, especially if you switch out that old HDD with a SSD. It will literally breathe new life into your system.

Thanks for the info! I may get a SSD drive at some point, but not now. I don't think my old macbook is worth putting one in. I mean I can buy 3 of mine for 75 dollars, lol. I guess I'm not upgrading then, :(

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
For a 2007 MacBook, I wouldn't go any "further" than 10.8.5.
In my opinion, versions of the OS released after 10.8 seem to be designed for SSDs, and tend to run very slow on platter-based hard drives.

If you can't get 10.8 from Apple, there are "other ways".

BTW, I still use 10.6.8 as my "main OS" on a 2010 MacBook Pro, and it still runs just fine for everything I do with it...

SanJacinto

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
Milky Way Galaxy
BTW, I still use 10.6.8 as my "main OS" on a 2010 MacBook Pro, and it still runs just fine for everything I do with it...

Yes, it is still possible to use 10.6.8 in 2016 except for the browser. I mean, it would be nice if Apple could still offer Safari for their most polished OS X ever.:rolleyes: (I do not like other bowsers)

Although my MBP is from Early 2011 (but shipped with Snow Leopard), I still love the plastic MacBooks. For me this is the Apple I love(d): 10.6.8 with its glossy traffic lights, the blue scroll-bars (looked like candy), pill-shaped buttons and that aqua blue - yes baby.
It reminds me of night-sessions at university library - everywhere those white MacBooks, often owned by beautiful girls ;-)

In late 2013 I was preparing for GMAT and spend more or less all of my time at the library.
Some day a girl sat down next to me, with a what seemed to be a 2007 MacBook with OS X Tiger on it - gorgeous (I mean, the MacBook and Tiger ;)).

I miss those times and I miss the "childish" Apple.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Retrofire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.