Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I see ebay being the only source for processors. Yeah, like I'm going to buy one from an unknown Chinese entity with unknown source. OWC has some processors, but nothing for the iMac Pro. Hmm...

JRBuchanan

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2015
For what it's worth I upgraded the CPU in a late 2013 iMac with a used processor I bought on Amazon. It was a little bit of a gamble but I did have the option of a refund if I was not satisfied with it.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
For what it's worth I upgraded the CPU in a late 2013 iMac with a used processor I bought on Amazon. It was a little bit of a gamble but I did have the option of a refund if I was not satisfied with it.

And I know ebay does too, but the hassle. I had a bunch of unfortunate purchases that were far from 'as advertised', and they all seemed to drag on longer than they should have. One gem of a seller accused me of 'trashing't heir already trashed product! They said 'professionally cleaned and maintained', but the pro had to be a chicken because there were actual feathers in and on the item, not to mention copious amounts of dust. Yikes... I have sold on ebay, and haven't had any issues, but buying, I'd really rather not, and especially something advertised as 'From China', and knowing that people relabel chips like a profession.

I'd like to get more life out of this IMP, but don't want to risk getting a hot mess of counterfeit or relabeled crap. (Higher rated IMP's on the refurb site are out of my price range for sure. Wow...

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
And I know ebay does too, but the hassle. I had a bunch of unfortunate purchases that were far from 'as advertised', and they all seemed to drag on longer than they should have. One gem of a seller accused me of 'trashing't heir already trashed product! They said 'professionally cleaned and maintained', but the pro had to be a chicken because there were actual feathers in and on the item, not to mention copious amounts of dust. Yikes... I have sold on ebay, and haven't had any issues, but buying, I'd really rather not, and especially something advertised as 'From China', and knowing that people relabel chips like a profession.

I'd like to get more life out of this IMP, but don't want to risk getting a hot mess of counterfeit or relabeled crap. (Higher rated IMP's on the refurb site are out of my price range for sure. Wow...

I bought more than 20 items (computer parts) from China (Aliexpress) and haven't experienced any bad items. They have 75days buyer protection period.

dapa0s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2019
I see ebay being the only source for processors. Yeah, like I'm going to buy one from an unknown Chinese entity with unknown source. OWC has some processors, but nothing for the iMac Pro. Hmm...
Aliexpress (china) is amazing if you need a new CPU for an imac pro, as everything there is new and they offer buyer protection.

Reactions: ascender

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
So long as the seller has decent feedback and you pay by Paypal, you'll be fine. That's exactly what I did with my iMac Pro as eBay was the only place where I had a few options for the most powerful CPU I could fit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.