Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moparherb

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2018
Fulton, NY
This message may be a bit long so I apologize. I own an iPhone 13 Pro Max and I’m seriously thinking of buying the 15 Pro Max when it comes out. But originally my carrier was Verizon but about a year or more ago I converted to Spectrum, a cable, internet and wireless carrier in my area. When i did so the Spectrum rep installed a Spectrum SIM card in my phone and no issues. But when I order a new phone from Apple I’m pretty sure a Spectrum SIM card will not be available from them. So how do I get my new iPhone to work with my carrier and get all the info from one phone to the other without lengthy delays or issues??? Any advice or help appreciated. I’m really nervous about this issue.

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
You shouldn't have any issues. When ordering the new iPhone from Apple, just make sure you don't choose a carrier when checking out (considering they don't partner with them in store to my knowledge). You either have a physical SIM card or an E-sim (digital sim). Either of these can easily be transferred to your new phone. The physical sim is more straight forward by ejecting the one in your current phone and putting it into the new one. With the E-sim, you'll just go into your settings - cellular - add esim. It should give you the option to transfer an existing esim over. Takes a few minutes but should be fine.

Best way to transfer information over seamlessly is using an iCloud backup. Even if it's a service you don't want to pay for, pay for additional storage for one month (I believe its only $3). Sign into your Apple account on your new device and it will give you an option to set up the new phone the same as your old one. If you're going to have access to both phones, you might be able to bypass the iCloud step and have the information transferred wirelessly (as long as they're on the same wifi network and close to each other). From my understanding it can take a bit longer this way, but you can save a few bucks.

Hope this helps.

Moparherb

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2018
Fulton, NY
Thank you both for your advice. So today I converted my iphone 13 Pro Max from a physical SIM card to eSIM. Very simple and everything is working properly. So if and when I buy a new iphone 15 Pro Max is it just a simple matter of holding the two phones close to one another and all is well. In other words do my eSIM settings just carry over to the new phone? In case you wanted to know I have removed the SIM card from my current phone.

bhall110

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Thank you both for your advice. So today I converted my iphone 13 Pro Max from a physical SIM card to eSIM. Very simple and everything is working properly. So if and when I buy a new iphone 15 Pro Max is it just a simple matter of holding the two phones close to one another and all is well. In other words do my eSIM settings just carry over to the new phone? In case you wanted to know I have removed the SIM card from my current phone.
You should be able to transfer the Esim without contacting your carrier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.