Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I'm curious as to whether this ruling will in any way affect the outcome of the EU's current dispute with Apple. I doubt it, but at least it does give Apple a bit of respite in the US.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
So someone answer this question. Does this mean developers can now get to place their product in the App Store without paying Apple anything for operating the App Store? They get to collect 100% of the price off their app and Apple gets $0 for hosting their app? How can this be fair to Apple? We already know that big retailers charge manufacturers for premium shelf space placement.

Here’s another question. I download an app from Apple’s App Store but I pay for it using the developer’s third party payment processor. I decide the app isn't what I want and I want a refund, or I claim it was an unauthorized payment. Who’s on the hook to give me my money back? Who do i blame if I’m turned down. What if my kid ran up a thousand dollar bill on a game I got from the App Store but paid for elsewhere? We all know the answer but I guarantee the average user will expect Apple to make things right since it’s their App Store.
It would be no different then any free app. If you have payment issues, good luck, you have to deal with the developer.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
…you realize this means that Apple gets to continue doing everything they were in the U.S. before Epic began this battle, and Epic/other developers have gained absolutely nothing from this, right?
The Macrumors story is difficult to understand, but if I'm reading another article correctly, this means that companies like Netflix or Spotify can state that it's cheaper to subscribe outside of the app store.

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
This seems like a desperate attempt to make it look bad for Apple.

This was not the most critical part. The App Store remains as the one place to download apps, and most people will continue to do so, regardless of small discounts outside of it (Also, it’s doubtful developers will actually offer discounts, they just want to keep more of the same price, let’s be honest)
3rd party app purchase is the main reason why Epic sued Apple. It is the most critical part.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
…you realize this means that Apple gets to continue doing everything they were in the U.S. before Epic began this battle, and Epic/other developers have gained absolutely nothing from this, right?
No, as of now developers have the right to advertise in-app that there are other, cheaper, payment options available away from Apple's App Store.

• Disagree
Reactions: NetMage

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
While I feel sad about their decision, I acknowledge that Apple has once again got away with what would be bad for them.

As for epic, at least they tried, really tried, very hard. US is ruled by wealth after all, and Epic does not have that.
This was the right decision. Apple is walling off EU to test the waters by opening up things more. If it goes well for their users and user experience isn't harmed they expand.

Joe The Dragon

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2006
Anti-steering rule is not YET concluded which is the most critical part for Apple. Even if Apple wins, Epic still win on the most critical part and therefore, it's not really a good news until it finalize the rule.
and when apple bans apps that put in links to other ways to pay? or say stuff like with apple app store they take 30% of your donation? (facebook) had that issue.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
So someone answer this question. Does this mean developers can now get to place their product in the App Store without paying Apple anything for operating the App Store? They get to collect 100% of the price off their app and Apple gets $0 for hosting their app?
Not necessarily. Apple could choose to start charging developers who don't use IAP similar to what they did in the Netherlands dating app situation.

Reactions: mhnd and strongy

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
So someone answer this question. Does this mean developers can now get to place their product in the App Store without paying Apple anything for operating the App Store? They get to collect 100% of the price off their app and Apple gets $0 for hosting their app? How can this be fair to Apple? We already know that big retailers charge manufacturers for premium shelf space placement.

Here’s another question. I download an app from Apple’s App Store but I pay for it using the developer’s third party payment processor. I decide the app isn't what I want and I want a refund, or I claim it was an unauthorized payment. Who’s on the hook to give me my money back? Who do i blame if I’m turned down. What if my kid ran up a thousand dollar bill on a game I got from the App Store but paid for elsewhere? We all know the answer but I guarantee the average user will expect Apple to make things right since it’s their App Store.

Apple collects a $100 a year from devs. That alone is going to cover almost all if not all the hosting fees. Also Apple is choosing to not allow another way to developers and publishers to get apps out to user not threw the App store so Apple choice there that they have to accept some of the cost.
In comparison Googles is $25 life time. Well semi life time after 10 years of punishing nothing they will remove y your developer account and if you want to publish something new you have to pay a new $25 but if you punish anything it is one time fee for life.

Remember Apple chooses to block side loading so Apple has choosen to have to absorb extra cost.

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
I'm curious as to whether this ruling will in any way affect the outcome of the EU's current dispute with Apple. I doubt it, but at least it does give Apple a bit of respite in the US.

I dont think it will give them any affect on the EU. I expect the EU ruling will speed up the process of them do the same thing here in the US. Apple is going to run it greed setup as long as possible but they know the hammer is coming down and the question more when will Apple allow side loading and force reduce control

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
This was the right decision. Apple is walling off EU to test the waters by opening up things more. If it goes well for their users and user experience isn't harmed they expand.
Right for Apple, and that’s all that matters. As for everyone else, it’s up to their own.
Only Apple walks out of this legal marathon laughing. (Alongside all the lawyers representing Apple)

litmag01

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
Douse the dumpster fire. Put down your popcorn buckets.

It has been a great show for everyone involved.

HurtinMinorKey

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2012

It strikes a balance between letting Apple maintain monopoly power within their marketplace (preventing sideloading) and also allowing consumers who want to avoid the apple tax by paying for app services outside of the Apple payment system. This forces Apple to make the in-app purchase experience more desirable, and has a modest restraining impact on the apple tax

• Angry
Reactions: NetMage

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
and when apple bans apps that put in links to other ways to pay? or say stuff like with apple app store they take 30% of your donation? (facebook) had that issue.

Then they'll get sued. The ruling makes it clear that apps/devs are allowed notify consumers in the app of other ways to purchase a subscription.

• Haha
Reactions: strongy

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
As for epic, at least they tried, really tried, very hard.
Did you read the case? Epic barely tried— this was a vanity suit that Epic thought they could win as a popularity contest “Your kids love Fortnite and hate Apple, so side with us.”

Seriously, read the ruling. Epic never had much of a leg to stand on, but they were also lazy in their approach as was pointed out by the judge throughout her ruling.

Sweeney wanted to present himself as a populist hero, and maybe he convinced some people he was, but in the end this wasn’t about protecting consumers it was about wanting to muscle in on territory. I was going to make a Don Quixote reference but Quixote was at least pure of heart, Sweeney has all the delusions of grandeur but none of the good intentions.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Yes! This along with the EU deadline looming, we are about to break away from Apple's greedy chains. Can't wait to put whatever apps I want on my iPhone. USB-C charging is great, btw... half the cables I used to have.
Cool, so you no doubt just got rid of the perfectly functional Lightning cables?

In ten years when there's maybe a "new USB-C", will the EU force everyone on to that, and thus cause us to repeat the cycle of throwing out cables?

Maybe the EU should focus on bigger "problems" that the bloc is currently facing.

Hails09

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
so this is finally over?

like, finally?

glad to see it. Epic chose a battle stupid enough to live up to the company name, lost, tried every single legal avenue available to reverse that, and still lost. been quite the 4-year trip.
that's funny because the EU just gave them what they wanted all along.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.