Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
I did some further research on this topic. The availability of decent external enclosures in my country is abysmal. The best option would be the Samsung X5 external Thunderbolt 3 drive, but it costs the same per GB/TB as upgrading the internal storage so I just bit the bullet and changed my Mac Studio into 8TB. Makes much more sense compared to paying the same to have 4x Samsung X5 2TB connected via Thunerbolt 3 with lower performance. It gives me the added benefit of having 6x Thunderbolt 4 ports free to use down the line so if 8TB ends up not being enough for my server I can add additional NVMe drives via Thunderbolt if needed.

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
Idk about you guys. But my M1 Pro with ASM2362 can go to 952MB/s on Write test (seq1M QD8) and that seems good enough compared to tests in windows/Intel MBP lol.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Idk about you guys. But my M1 Pro with ASM2362 can go to 952MB/s on Write test (seq1M QD8) and that seems good enough compared to tests in windows/Intel MBP lol.

That's too slow, it should be at least double that on Thunderbolt.
We already know, some device controller chips don't play nice with all Macs/TB ports. It could be the enclosure controller, the SSD controller, etc. That are a lot of variables that are often out of Apple's control.

See here for a similar/associated discussion:

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
We already know, some device controller chips don't play nice with all Macs/TB ports. It could be the enclosure controller, the SSD controller, etc. That are a lot of variables that are often out of Apple's control.

See here for a similar/associated discussion:
Yeah that's why I said that mine is working fine. So that means that it's not that the M1 that doesn't support 10gbps. It's probably just some compatibility issues with some bridge chips

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Yeah that's why I said that mine is working fine. So that means that it's not that the M1 that doesn't support 10gbps. It's probably just some compatibility issues with some bridge chips
Exactly. I appreciate that the article linked above was "trying" to be thorough, but there are hundreds (thousands?) of test permutations. Later today, I think I have a combo that will disprove their conclusion. I'll report back.

Reactions: white7561

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Reactions: jdb8167

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
The more times I read this article, the less it makes sense. The testing methodology and structure of the writing is full of contradictions, and lack of clarity.

Not to mention, I can get higher-than-he-reported speeds on both front USB-only, and rear TB4 (connected via USB-C 10Gbps cable), on my Studio Max.
The article doesn't say anything new that hasn't been discussed in this thread.
- M1 Macs have USB-C ports that might connect to some 10 Gbps devices at 5 Gbps speed (but some 10 Gbps devices connect properly at 10 Gbps).
- M1 Macs have USB controllers that perform slower than some other USB controllers at either speed (10 Gbps or 5 Gbps). Expected speed for 10 Gbps is 1060 MB/s but M1 is 100 MB/s slower or more.
- other stuff I forgot.

Reactions: BeatCrazy

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
This whole thing is a clusterfuk. I can't even connect my iPad Pro M1 to 14" MBP M1 Pro using Apple's TB3 cable. It won't even see it. ~$3k worth of equipment that can't even communicate via a wire, pathetic.

• Haha
Reactions: mogens and Macative

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020
This whole thing is a clusterfuk. I can't even connect my iPad Pro M1 to 14" MBP M1 Pro using Apple's TB3 cable. It won't even see it. ~$3k worth of equipment that can't even communicate via a wire, pathetic.
are you using the USB-C charge cable that came with the iPad Pro?

at best, you'll get USB 2.0 transfer speed on that cable

Reactions: Macative

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
are you using the USB-C charge cable that came with the iPad Pro?

at best, you'll get USB 2.0 transfer speed on that cable
I know that cable works but I shouldn't have to resort to 2.0 speed. The TB3 cable works with my M1 Mini @ 10 Gbps speed, which is still pathetic considering both my iPad and my Macs have TB ports. It's like amateur hour at Apple and you got workers crying about having to go back onsite.

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020
I know that cable works but I shouldn't have to resort to 2.0 speed. The TB3 cable works with my M1 Mini @ 10 Gbps speed, which is still pathetic considering both my iPad and my Macs have TB ports. It's like amateur hour at Apple.

i'm confused. was the TB3 cable included with either the M1 mini or the 14" M1 MBP? neither ship with a TB3 cable.

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020
is it a genuine apple TB3 cable?
have you tried doing a file transfer to/from the mini and the 14" MBP using this cable?

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020
sounds like an iPad pro issue especially if you're only getting 10 Gb/s connection to the m1 mini.

my TB3 cable between my studio and my m1 MBP are showing a 40Gb/s connection.

you'll probably get better answers in the iPad focused forums.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
sounds like an iPad pro issue especially if you're only getting 10 Gb/s connection to the m1 mini.

my TB3 cable between my studio and my m1 MBP are showing a 40Gb/s connection.

you'll probably get better answers in the iPad focused forums.
I know, I'm just ranting here that Apple's TB implementation across their product line is crap.

Reactions: mogens

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
Is there a list out there of what works and what doesn't? I know that while my M1X MBP generally does way better than my 2017 Intel model, it seems to have moved backward on handling my Samsung T5 SSDs.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Is there a list out there of what works and what doesn't? I know that while my M1X MBP generally does way better than my 2017 Intel model, it seems to have moved backward on handling my Samsung T5 SSDs.
I think the current consensus is that Apple Silicon doesn’t support the second link on USB devices that use it. It seems that Samsung Tx devices are USB 3.x x2 devices and with only x1 being available on current AS Macs you only get half the bandwidth.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I think the current consensus is that Apple Silicon doesn’t support the second link on USB devices that use it. It seems that Samsung Tx devices are USB 3.x x2 devices and with only x1 being available on current AS Macs you only get half the bandwidth.
No. All Mac USB ports are x1. None have x2. The only USB controller that I know of that has x2 is the ASMedia ASM3242 (except what's built into the latest Intel and AMD chipsets). https://www.kingston.com/en/blog/personal-storage/usb-3-2-gen2x2 I don't think macOS has any drivers that support x2 or they don't work with the ASM3242.

Samsung Tx device are USB 3.1 gen 2 (or 3.2 gen 2x1) devices and sometimes (or often with the M1) connect only as gen 1.

M1 Macs support gen 2 but it doesn't work with all gen 2 USB devices for some unknown reason. It works with some gen 2 USB devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.