Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twotone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
Hi Folks,

I have a Mac Pro 5,1 (flashed 4,1). I'm primarily using Monterey via OCLP however I also have High Sierra on another drive I sometimes boot from for certain tasks.

Unfortunately, I need OS X 10.4 (Tiger) for some hardware I have, and am looking for the cheapest and most minimal way of using the this older hardware (which requires Firewire).

The hardware also works with XP and Vista, I have considered running a VM on my Mac Pro (most likely on High Sierra to avoid potential clashes with OCLP) with e.g. XP or Vista on it however I have not been able to find anything to suggest that Firewire works with these unfortunately.

An option I'm exploring is using an older Mac from mid 2000's with Tiger (the last supported OS with this hardware), I've come across a Mac Mini from 2006 with Tiger, however I don't want another mouse/keyboard/monitor, so ideally I'd love to be able to boot it up and connect to it via my Mac Pro, open up the software I need on there and set it to work.

Is anyone aware of any key issues/methods of achieving this/alternative suggestions?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi Folks,

I have a Mac Pro 5,1 (flashed 4,1). I'm primarily using Monterey via OCLP however I also have High Sierra on another drive I sometimes boot from for certain tasks.

Unfortunately, I need OS X 10.4 (Tiger) for some hardware I have, and am looking for the cheapest and most minimal way of using the this older hardware (which requires Firewire).

The hardware also works with XP and Vista, I have considered running a VM on my Mac Pro (most likely on High Sierra to avoid potential clashes with OCLP) with e.g. XP or Vista on it however I have not been able to find anything to suggest that Firewire works with these unfortunately.

An option I'm exploring is using an older Mac from mid 2000's with Tiger (the last supported OS with this hardware), I've come across a Mac Mini from 2006 with Tiger, however I don't want another mouse/keyboard/monitor, so ideally I'd love to be able to boot it up and connect to it via my Mac Pro, open up the software I need on there and set it to work.

Is anyone aware of any key issues/methods of achieving this/alternative suggestions?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Connect it to your network, enable ScrenSharing via System Preferences/Sharing and then access it via the Mac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.