Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2020
I'm trying to play an episode of Loot on my Mac. Any episode but none will play. Everything is fine on my iPhone. What gives? I tried rebooting but no help. Other series play just fine. What else can I do?

Thank you.

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2020
Weird....day 2 and still can't play any episodes. That's one way to kill interest in Apple TV+.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Weird. It plays on my Mac. Have you tried logging out and back into the TV app?

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2020
Weird. It plays on my Mac. Have you tried logging out and back into the TV app?

Thank you for the reply. Yes I tried that too. No luck. Clicking on any episode of Loot does not play it. I click on the "watch now" button or go to the season page and try the same. Nothing works, the clicks do nothing.

My wife and I really enjoyed the first two episodes (which do not play now either) but can't get it to play anymore. I don't know what else I can do to try to fix this.

I am really souring on Apple TV+.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Thank you for the reply. Yes I tried that too. No luck. Clicking on any episode of Loot does not play it. I click on the "watch now" button or go to the season page and try the same. Nothing works, the clicks do nothing.

My wife and I really enjoyed the first two episodes (which do not play now either) but can't get it to play anymore. I don't know what else I can do to try to fix this.

I am really souring on Apple TV+.
Maybe it's worth a chat with Apple Support.

Reactions: niteflyr

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2020
Well I was able to find out the problem was and fix it. It turned out that the episodes of Loot that I wanted to watch were downloaded onto my Mac. I deleted them and was immediately able to watch them again. I re-downloaded a few episidoes of this series as well as Severance and found again that they were unwatchable.

I did not realize that Apple TV+ did not allow off line viewing. Other services offer this feature and I assumed Apple did too.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone in future who has the same problem. I can now watch my shows again.

Reactions: 0128672

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
Well I was able to find out the problem was and fix it. It turned out that the episodes of Loot that I wanted to watch were downloaded onto my Mac. I deleted them and was immediately able to watch them again. I re-downloaded a few episidoes of this series as well as Severance and found again that they were unwatchable.

I did not realize that Apple TV+ did not allow off line viewing. Other services offer this feature and I assumed Apple did too.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone in future who has the same problem. I can now watch my shows again.
Apple TV+ allows offline viewing, otherwise you wouldn’t be able to download them.

I couldn’t play downloaded episodes of Black bird when I plugged my Mac into my TV. This turned out to be because my TV was too old and couldn’t play the high quality downloaded file (HDR/Dolby vision or whatever it was).

Are you trying to view them on an external display? If so, check the download settings within the Apple TV app.

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2020
Apple TV+ allows offline viewing, otherwise you wouldn’t be able to download them.

I couldn’t play downloaded episodes of Black bird when I plugged my Mac into my TV. This turned out to be because my TV was too old and couldn’t play the high quality downloaded file (HDR/Dolby vision or whatever it was).

Are you trying to view them on an external display? If so, check the download settings within the Apple TV app.

Thank you for your reply. I was just trying to view them on my Mac. I do not use an external display. The odd thing that I remembered later is that I downloaded the episode of Loot onto my old MacBook Air. My current MacBook Air (M2) is brand new and no episodes were downloaded onto it. So it's very odd that I was able to "delete" the downloaded episode from my new Mac.

It's a really confusing situation and I do not understand it. Regardless I can watch all the episodes now so the problem has been resolved.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Just guessing here, but according to this, there is at most a 30 day expiration on downloads.

And wonder if some DRM-y thing going on: downloaded to device X, keyed to X, so if want to play on Y, can't as key was for specific hardware serial/MAC address/etc. In place to prevent "sharing" with "friends".

Reactions: Eric Idle
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.