Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wfriedwald

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
oh crap! I had just finished a long project, and I guess I somehow slipped and hit the wrong button ... somehow GARAGEBAND is trying to import a video. At least I think that is what is happening.

The program is completely frozen, I can't access anything, or even get it to quit.

I know I kept saving the file all along, but I don't see it in the finder.

I am afraid if I force quit, I may lose three hours of work.

here's a screenshot, I truly have no idea what's going on. I have never seen anything like this before!

grateful for any help!

W
GARAGEBAND weird video freeze - Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 1.29.08 PM.jpg

Last edited:

wfriedwald

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
this is even more weird - now the file does show up in finder, listed as being 82GB? this makes no sense - it shouldn't be more 2 or 3 GB tops!

I keep trying to make a duplicate of the file as a backup, but the finder does not seem to want to let me do that!

the program is NOT showing up as frozen in the FORCE QUIT dialogue, but it is frozen now for over 30-40 minutes.

w

Last edited:

wfriedwald

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
update: so the major mistake that I seem to have made - I somehow clicked on the entire folder of WAVE files, most of which are 2GB / 3 hours long, about 100 of them, and now GARAGEBAND is trying to import them all into the file I was working on and save them all. Well, maybe I can salvage this w/o having to re-do three+ hours of labor. we shall see!

wfriedwald

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
okay... it took about an hour to save the super-duper too big file, but then I just removed all the extra tracks, which didn't take all that long. so crisis averted - sort of - I hope! thanks for reading this!

Reactions: rm5

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
and now GARAGEBAND is trying to import them all into the file I was working on and save them all.
Did you accidentally drag in the whole folder worth of files to the project?! Or did you drag them into the media browser? I can't think of any other ways that would happen...

wfriedwald

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
yeah! evidently I did! Well, solving the problem took maybe an hour .... if I had to re-do all that labor, it would have taken at least three hours, so I am still ahead. thanks!

w

Reactions: rm5
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.