Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeffrey Smith

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2023
The visa call is suspect. Sounds like phishing.

But the other point is important. Apple Pay virtual card can be changed with a Apple ID password reset. But Apple Pay itself uses another number, not the virtual number, and if hacked, you can’t reset it (or ask for a new card). I think my Apple Pay was hacked when buying delta Wi-Fi in flight. I had several hundred dollar charges each month claiming to be delta Wi-Fi. It wasn’t delta. And Goldman Sachs said I couldn’t change my Apple Pay number. So I canceled. 😔

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
The visa call is suspect. Sounds like phishing.

But the other point is important. Apple Pay virtual card can be changed with a Apple ID password reset. But Apple Pay itself uses another number, not the virtual number, and if hacked, you can’t reset it (or ask for a new card). I think my Apple Pay was hacked when buying delta Wi-Fi in flight. I had several hundred dollar charges each month claiming to be delta Wi-Fi. It wasn’t delta. And Goldman Sachs said I couldn’t change my Apple Pay number. So I canceled. 😔
There was no visa call. I called visa on the number that my bank gave me when I called my bank using the standard customer service number that I always call. The bank confirmed that visa had sent the sms. The card was hacked. Truly.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
It would not be a hack. It would actually come under 'phishing'. The fake facebook ad purpose would be to scan the iphone for credit card details and naturally the obvious place to look is the wallet. The fake facebook ad would have looked in the wallet, grabbed the credit card details and send them on to who ever made the fake ad. That person would then try to use the credit card details to make a fraudulent purchase. VISA obviously caught the fraudulent transaction taking place and blocked it.
That’s called a hack. Phishing requires you being tricked into submitting private information. Very different but end goal is the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.