Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Apple Vision Pro has shown up in China's product regulatory database as Apple prepares to bring the headset to additional countries sometime in the near future. Both the Vision Pro (A2117) and its Battery Pack (A2697) have shown up in the Chinese database, indicating that a launch in China could be coming soon.

Apple-Vision-Pro-Dual-Loop-Band-Purple-Feature-2.jpg

Bloomberg said yesterday that Apple is planning to introduce the Vision Pro in a number of additional countries following the Worldwide Developers Conference, but Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claimed in February that Vision Pro sales would expand to more countries before WWDC rather than after.

MacRumors has previously found evidence in Apple's backend code that Vision Pro would expand to Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, and the United Kingdom, and it appears that information was correct as retail employees from these countries have been visiting Apple's Cupertino headquarters for Vision Pro training in recent days.

When the Vision Pro launched in the United States in February, Apple said that it would bring the device to additional countries "later this year," but the company did not provide a list of countries, timing, or pricing.

Article Link: Vision Pro Appears in Chinese Regulatory Database Before Expansion to New Countries

• Haha
Reactions: JapanApple

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
I would assume most people with the means already imported one long ago.

Apple's top priority has to be a redesign to get that price cut in half, ideally even less. Ideally needs to weigh less too.

Once something costs north of $1500, $2000... the amount of people in the world with that kind of disposable income to toss away on a gadget drops off a cliff.

iToph

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014

Apple's top priority has to be a redesign to get that price cut in half, ideally even less. Once something costs north of $1500, $2000... the amount of people in the world with that kind of disposable income to toss away on a gadget drops off a cliff.
apples top priority has to be finishing the god damn product. It’s an overpriced developer tool with absolutely 0 usecase for the mass.

And yes, I own one, imported it to Germany.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Still too niche. Without a reason why I should use it, I won't buy one. What problem does it solve? I've tested it. It's an impressive toy. The second it has killer apps and a much lower price this will shift in the direction Apple wants it to go. Before then, I highly doubt it.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Still too niche. Without a reason why I should use it, I won't buy one. What problem does it solve? I've tested it. It's an impressive toy. The second it has killer apps and a much lower price this will shift in the direction Apple wants it to go. Before then, I highly doubt it.
And that’s true of all of Apple’s products. I would imagine very few people are buying a Mac Pro because there’s no reason they SHOULD use it. Still, Apple has sold more AVP’s to this point than they’ll sell Mac Pro’s all year. Different products for different folks!

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I'll admit, I was seriously wondering if Apple would decide to hold back the launch into other countries until there was a lot more software specifically designed for it, or they had perhaps adjusted the design/price in some small ways.

My rational is that, in general the US is quite naturally a GIANT Apple positive country, and also home to a lot of people who have a fair amount of free money (not everyone of course, but many more than most countries)

Given that it's probably the most Pro Apple country, and the country with the most buying power for the most people.
If it's struggling to sell or take off in the US, (reports of one device a week in some Apple stores)
And that anyone who really really wanted one, could have imported one by now anyway.

The sales elsewhere are going to be a tiny fraction of the US level of sales.
Do you (Apple) really want masses of negative press about how even worse it's selling in country, B, C or D ?
Won't that negative poor sales articles (and trust me, they will happen) be even worse than simply waiting?

Apple need positive news to get people interested, not more negative articles.

Someirishguy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
I get the impression that ‘status symbols’ are a big thing in China. Also, they are quite tech forward. 1% of the population have assets over $1Million. With a population of 1.4Billion, that’s a lot of potential customers. It wouldn’t surprise me if Apple tested the AVP in the states, so they could be better prepared for the Chinese release

ApostolisApo

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
Gothenburg

Apple's top priority has to be a redesign to get that price cut in half, ideally even less. Ideally needs to weigh less too.

Once something costs north of $1500, $2000... the amount of people in the world with that kind of disposable income to toss away on a gadget drops off a cliff.
Your assumption is wrong. Especially given its price, I for example wouldn't like to buy a car-expensive equipment and have no warranty, no localized account and whatever else comes together with grey-imported products :)

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
I’m just wondering when the release candidates going to come along for the latest version of software

Reactions: Rychiar

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Maybe the killer app one day will be AI. The Chatgpt demo was impressive and conversation is now getting pretty natural. It wouldn't surprise me if in a few years someone puts on a Vision Pro and suddenly they are talking to an AI "friend" who they socialize with in a meaningful way. Whether that's a good or bad thing I don't know yet.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I predict in a couple years we’ll get AVP reviews similar to the current iPad Pro reviews, great hardware hampered by half-hearted software.
Correct.

Which I kinda hate because I genuinely do expect the gesture interactions and whole interface to get close to perfect over a few years.

We'll then have two "companion" devices never getting macOS to complain about instead of just one.

But at least there's hope that whole macOS streaming to AVP thing gets greatly improved.

Surely, Apple has nothing against us getting "macOS on AVP" if it requires you to buy a Mac and macOS never gets to run natively on VisionOS?

• Haha
Reactions: Unregistered 4U

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
MacRumors has previously found evidence in Apple's backend code that Vision Pro would expand to Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, and the United Kingdom, and it appears that information was correct as retail employees from these countries have been visiting Apple's Cupertino headquarters for Vision Pro training in recent days.
I thought there was an article on here within the last week saying that Canada and the UK weren't going to be in the next batch of countries to get the Vision Pro? Or was that a Gurman one?

funwithstuff

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Brisbane, Australia

I'm in Australia, waiting, because there are very good reasons to buy an AVP officially available from Apple.

Buying one from a third-party seller would mean:
  • no useful warranty
  • no way to swap light seals
  • no ability to log in with my own Apple ID
  • no way to buy apps without a US credit card
  • no way to buy the optical inserts I will need
  • no way to watch movies I already own
  • no return policy if it's not for me
  • much higher cost on an already expensive product
No, I'll just wait.

mike2q

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
Apple claimed to only be able to produce 400,000 units this year. Considering they are accelerating the release date for other countries I can only assume they are not even close to selling out. Even if they sold all 400,000 units that would still mean nothing to Apple. I just looked it up and in 2018 Apple sold 572,603 iPhones per day on average for the entire year. This Vision Pro numbers aren't even on their radar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.