Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
I'm not sure they're able to enable at that level of granularity, but given that they'd rather people use the app, I don't think they'd want to enable it at all anywhere.

Oh they’ll take the time to find a way, just like they took the time to figure out a way to block Samsung Pay’s MST but still allow physical card swiping. None of the other contactless holdouts ever did that.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Not to get anyone's hopes up but Wal-Mart's Lane/7000s do in fact have blinking contactless led now, which means the reader is turned on but the software isn't. My local one still has some iSC250s that aren't blinking. Lowe's was blinking before they turned on but I'm sure it's just a mistake but it does seem to be blinking on purpose as I know for a fact they did not blink before.

It means the hardware is there, but has not been activated. Just in case anyone suspected walmart may have ordered the lane 7000s without the contactless reader or removed it themselves, we now know that’s not the case. When contactless is activated on a lane 7000 there is no blinking light when the pinpad is on standby and the contactless logo will light up to the left of the keypad, along with the leftmost of the four green lights, when the cashier activates the pinpad to process a card payment. That’s how it works.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
I'll have to check my local walmart for blinking lights next time I'm there.

I saw it the other day, but only because the cashier had to restart the pinpad after it froze up. Otherwise, the blinking light usually isn’t visible on the lane 7000s at walmart (hence why some people thought walmart may have ordered them without that hardware or removed it themselves).

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
“There are certainly some benefits for Walmart in pushing its own mobile payments service, including getting more customers to download the Walmart app, being able to track a customer's purchase history, and avoiding Apple Pay fees.”

Those are benefits for Walmart, yes. But they are costs for me — costs that I’m uninterested in paying, at any price.

It’s Walmart’s choice to not permit me to use the payment method of my choice. But then it’s also my choice to not do business with Walmart.

Seems to me that Walmart is making a poor business choice by being penny-wise and pound-foolish. They’d rather lose the entire sale than let go of a marginal profit.

Especially consider: I’m increasingly likely to be out-and-about with just my watch, no phone. So my payment options are often Apple Pay on the watch or a physical credit card, with Apple Pay far and away my preferred method. Never mind having Walmart track me; why on Earth should I want to carry a phone just for the “convenience” of digging it out of my pocket at Walmart, unlocking it, firing up an app, and waiting for it to download a barcode when I can even more easily dig out my card?

Whole Paycheck started doing that nonsense after they got bought by Amazon. I almost never shop there any more, either, and certainly don’t bother with their app.

b&

Walmart isn’t avoiding any Apple Pay fees simply because there are no such fees, at least for merchants. Please, people, stop spreading that nonsense.

As for Whole Foods, they still accept Apple Pay even after having been bought by Amazon. Amazon did not turn it off.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
And Krogers hates Apple Pay too. I can't remember how many people I have stunned when I use Apple Pay at a Meijers or other stores that support it. Some have freaked out, (almost) seriously.

Not anymore. They’ve relented and are already accepting it. So is Lowe’s. Walmart and Home Depot are getting to be the only stubborn ones left.

Reactions: SalisburySam

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
how many would have an Apple device that would support Apple Pay anyway? *shrug*

A lot more than you think, considering that there are now 10 generations of iphones and apple watches that support apple pay, all the way back to the iphone 6/6 plus and the original apple watch aka series 0. It’s not like apple pay is a new feature reserved only for the last 2-3 generations of apple devices, not anymore.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Right now, no. And seeing the card readers and POS systems they have, they never will. I worked at a company that provisioned those devices, and none of them support contactless payment.

That, and lack of Apple Pay, while cosmetic reasons, are among the many reasons to not ever shop at Walmart, with the exception on if you are in a small town, and the only store for the entire town's needs is Walmart.

BL.

Wrong. Walmart uses ingenico lane 7000 pinpads. Those things do have the hardware to accept contactless payments and Walmart simply has it disabled via software.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Wrong. Walmart uses ingenico lane 7000 pinpads. Those things do have the hardware to accept contactless payments and Walmart simply has it disabled via software.
Agreed; so what is stopping them from having ingenico write up code to add the Walmart+ condition to the use of the terminal:

Ask if the user is a Walmart+ member:
If yes, offer the contactless payment; if no, insert or swipe card.

If they add that code, they could have that added when the terminal is provisioned.

If they did that store wide, then it prevents them needing to block off self checkouts to just Walmart+ members, but they could have those terminals provisioned with the software that requires Walmart+ membership or won’t continue at all.

BL.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Agreed; so what is stopping them from having ingenico write up code to add the Walmart+ condition to the use of the terminal:

Ask if the user is a Walmart+ member:
If yes, offer the contactless payment; if no, insert or swipe card.

If they add that code, they could have that added when the terminal is provisioned.

If they did that store wide, then it prevents them needing to block off self checkouts to just Walmart+ members, but they could have those terminals provisioned with the software that requires Walmart+ membership or won’t continue at all.

BL.

I think adding the walmart+ condition would be easier to do on walmart’s system than on the pinpads themselves since all the information about the walmart+ members is in their system anyway.

garyjones027

macrumors member
May 4, 2023
Walmart stores of USA have card readers that look like this with contactless payment disabled.

why-doesnt-walmart-support-apple-pay-v0-7ekp95zfg0ea1.jpg

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Some "fun" tidbits in the recent Visa/MC settlement that came out that might be relevant to Walmart:

settlement_screenshot_1_508feb38edb44728b95e9edb835ebfa20fea1489.png

settlement_screenshot_2_ad35c793cd1409b0073adc910aaf2373d98bedbc.png

Basically, Walmart will be able to allow NFC payment with physical cards but block Apple Pay, etc. (presumably in favor of their own app). The only ones they wouldn't be able to block would be any mobile wallets that Visa or MC themselves release.

Whether Walmart would actually do this instead of just keeping NFC disabled altogether is another question, though.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Some "fun" tidbits in the recent Visa/MC settlement that came out that might be relevant to Walmart:

Basically, Walmart will be able to allow NFC payment with physical cards but block Apple Pay, etc. (presumably in favor of their own app). The only ones they wouldn't be able to block would be any mobile wallets that Visa or MC themselves release.

Whether Walmart would actually do this instead of just keeping NFC disabled altogether is another question, though.

Oh they will do it if they can. Just like years ago they found a way to allow magnetic stripe payment with physical cards but block Samsung Pay.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

Then again, I feel like there's some sort of partnership with Walmart & Apple, that they may come to their senses and turn it on for Apple Pay as well.

Knowing Walmart, that would be it, no Google Pay allowed.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Then again, I feel like there's some sort of partnership with Walmart & Apple, that they may come to their senses and turn it on for Apple Pay as well.

Knowing Walmart, they'll turn it on...

... only if you subscribe to their highest tier of Walmart+, if they can't get more of an incoming stream from Walmart Pay.

BL.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017

They can’t, at least not so easily. If they turn on contactless they’ll automatically accept anything that uses nfc from google pay to apple pay all the way down to contactless cards. It would be very difficult for them to allow contactless cards and block everything else, which is why they haven’t done that so far.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
They can’t, at least not so easily. If they turn on contactless they’ll automatically accept anything that uses nfc from google pay to apple pay all the way down to contactless cards. It would be very difficult for them to allow contactless cards and block everything else, which is why they haven’t done that so far.
The networks historically haven't had the ability to block specific wallets, but the settlement will obligate the networks to add that functionality. This assumes the plaintiffs agree to the settlement, though.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
The networks historically haven't had the ability to block specific wallets

It isn’t impossible to do, but it’s very difficult. Walmart, for instance, managed to find a way to block Samsung Pay’s MST without completely disabling the magnetic stripe reader, thus still allowing to swipe physical cards. It took them at least 5 years to figure it out, however.

echopulse

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2021
Abilene, TX
Wal-Mart CEO said in an interview that Apple Pay may come to their stores one day, but they prefer that people use the app every time they come to the store.

Reactions: lartola

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Wal-Mart CEO said in an interview that Apple Pay may come to their stores one day, but they prefer that people use the app every time they come to the store.

Interesting interview. The title is a misleading clickbait, though. He doesn’t actually say why they refuse to accept apple pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.