Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2003
I read Apple wants to take on WhatsApp. I saw nothing that would make someone want to switch over. I use iMessage alot and would love to have disappearing messages and sharable public group links (these 2 features are also found in the excellent Signal app). New ways to snooze an alert seems like...a bit of a snooze.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I’m happy with it as is. I can’t think of some killer feature that would make a difference with my experience. It has privacy so that’s more than WhatsApp has.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
I think we all misread the promo images. It was a bunch of people all watching something (WWDC) and reacting via Messages...ie, SharePlay. Not a Messages overhaul. I wouldn't have minded more Messages features.

1623186043504.png

PKdeGallo

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2015
Miami, FL
Honestly, the only thing I was hoping to get in iMessage with iOS 15 was a better way of replying to someone. I really just do not like the current method Apple is using here. Would have prefered something to the way Instagram, WhatsApp, Messenger, or really any other chat app works.

Aside from that, it's fine for the most part. The bigger issue is getting everyone in my family to actually use it.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I was expecting something like "Now all of your amazing iMessage features will work even when you have that one friend who refuses to use it!" and was (am) sorely disappointed.

Reactions: TimFL1

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2003
I was expecting something like "Now all of your amazing iMessage features will work even when you have that one friend who refuses to use it!" and was (am) sorely disappointed.
Yeah. I wonder if they are inching towards that, considering that now FaceTime will be open to those on Android or Windows (although they cannot create a video chat on their own).

Reactions: TimFL1

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Copying one or more messages to another person could be easier (and how you copy messages more consistent between mac and iphone and ipad).

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Was hoping for more or other.
Nuke a thread, better group handling, recall, delete attached photos All, or at least the ability to assign another app as the default.

Pretty much nada across the board. :confused:

Reactions: LFC2020

NoGood@Usernames

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2020
United States
I would have loved to see delivery/read receipts and typing indicators in group messages, and the ability to schedule message sending. Really, just small quality of life improvements that would bring iMessage closer to feature parity with most other major messaging apps.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
iMessage will never be What’s App until they bring it to Android. That’s generally what Android users use. I am in several work and social related text groups with a mix of Apple and Android phones. All those group texts are in What’s App because it works better than their native texting app. One of my pet peeves is having redundant apps cluttering my phone and What’s App is one of those. Plus it’s owned by Facebook which I can’t trust at all. A few of their What’s App accounts had been hacked and were sending bogus ads in the group. The hack also made them create a group with invites. It’s either be anti-social and delete What’s App or deal with another texting app.

I was really hoping for scheduled texts. That’s probably the only feature I wanted to be added.

Last edited:

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
I wished they had added feature to delete messages or timer based messages. A company that kept saying "privacy" all the time during the presentation, i feel these are 2 good features to have ..

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Honestly, yeah. I’ve leaned over the years not to expect anything, but all of the material, down to the intro video while we were waiting for the conference to start, seemed to hint at iMessage updates. Checking the “new features” section on the website is quite funny. “When you’re trying to meet your 5,000 word quota…”

(If nothing else, I just wanted to be able to track voice notes. Not being able to go to minute 3 of a 5 minute voice note if you’re interrupted sucks.)

Attachments

• 5D163E65-4CA0-49D3-8E53-CA57322AF98B.png
    5D163E65-4CA0-49D3-8E53-CA57322AF98B.png
    975.6 KB · Views: 84
  • F75CF752-07AC-447F-AB85-9ED3F2597DEC.png
    F75CF752-07AC-447F-AB85-9ED3F2597DEC.png
    965.6 KB · Views: 81

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I want the ability to remove a chat from my list, but the history still kept in the cloud if/when I revive the conversation back. (don't need to sync that visibility across devices)

I thought by now they would have done more for AirTags (such as allowing you to "throw" ownership of an AirTag to a friend) - at least until (if?) they enable AirTag sharing for families, that would have been handy. Would also be handy to be able to give an AirTag ownership to Police if it was tracking a stolen item (and, yes, anyone wanting to say "these aren't for tracking" can keep your 2 cents to yourself) :D. Could also make the transfer temporary (have an expiry that it comes back) - could also be handy for if one of your friends is dog-sitting and there's one on their collar. :)

And, in case someone didn't "get it" - transferring of that could have been done over Messages. :)

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
I was hoping for a multi-platform adoption of imessage personally. It would be really helpful to be able to respond to messages over other devices like a PC when working, vs having to look at my phone.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I want to be able to delete sent messages (for all parties). Not sure that is ever possible because it's tied to SMS.

moloukhya

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2007
I was hoping for messages to be able to keep track of where you left off in a conversation. Very often when away from the phone or working, if you come back to many unread messages in a group, its hard to find where you left off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.