Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
A little background info would go a long way to explaining this. Anything is possible, but stated here in a vacuum, probably just leads to unproductive discourse.

The OP's question is very specific. He thinks it's possible that the new coating on the MacBook is releasing a chemical that he can detect with taste buds. Considering that this surface treatment is being used by millions of people, with apparently no searchable comparable experiences, is a consideration.

If the poster thinks that this type of statistic doesn't apply to him, and that he is an isolated case, is suggestive.

Reactions: mjs916

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
Do you get sick near high voltage power lines? I know of people who get headaches and weird sensations being next to power lines. So I surmise there may be some power or radiation leakage coming from your device. Carbon Monoxide leaks can cause adverse sensations.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Here's another example posted years ago:

The link in the chosen solution is dead, but you can view it through the Wayback Machine:

It could be from electricity passing through your body and causing a chemical reaction with braces or fillings in your mouth. Since you don't taste anything with gloves on, perhaps you are just insulating yourself from electrical currents.

Try turning off and unplugging the MBA...do you still taste metal when touching it? Or to be more scientific, take the bottom plate off and touch that (just in case current from the battery is still flowing when it's powered off).

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
hey guys, in the event I am having a health issue here, Im going to stop testing and return this and live with prior gen models. I can't imagine how or why I would have a preconception or predispotion, I have been using macs daily for 20 years, practically buy each and every model, massive fan boy. I'm going to rebuy another m2 13" to satisfiy my itch for a small little guy to work on from time to time. no need for me to accidently cause a potential health problem for me.

I look forward to hopefully seeing at least 1 more person here reporting something similar (or rather maybe not and I would be happy if I was the only person on the planet experiencing this, as I do love apple)

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
This will also sound weird but sometimes when I plug my iPhone in to charge the texture of the back feels different when I run my finger across it, almost like the phone is vibrating at a microscopic level or something. I'm being 100% serious.

I get the same feeling running my fingertips over my MBA cover while it is charging. I am sure there is a very slight charge buildup... cant be a lot or it would give a static discharge.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
I have a feeling it has something to do with the production line for this model, probably some chemical use to clean parts during final assembly? Or a cleaner used to wipe down machine prior to packing, impossible to trace. You have made the right choice by going back to what you know works.

• Love
Reactions: erkanasu

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Is it the screen? Did you try clamshell mode with an external display? The brain can make strange things if it's irritated by something.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001

The link in the chosen solution is dead, but you can view it through the Wayback Machine:

It could be from electricity passing through your body and causing a chemical reaction with braces or fillings in your mouth. Since you don't taste anything with gloves on, perhaps you are just insulating yourself from electrical currents.

Try turning off and unplugging the MBA...do you still taste metal when touching it? Or to be more scientific, take the bottom plate off and touch that (just in case current from the battery is still flowing when it's powered off).
IMG_7643.jpeg
Plausible theory. Where's Peter Parker when you need him?

Reactions: FoxyKaye

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
I have a feeling it has something to do with the production line for this model, probably some chemical use to clean parts during final assembly? Or a cleaner used to wipe down machine prior to packing, impossible to trace. You have made the right choice by going back to what you know works.

yes, I completely agree.

airbusking

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
Texas
It might be a metallic response. For the heck it try using rubber / latex gloves and see if you get it. If you do, it would be airborne and not likely a contact response.

arcite

macrumors 6502a

I can totally believe this. If using your laptop on a poorly grounded powersource, the static will travel right through the metal chassis. Just enough to feel it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.