Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
After trying the 15 max for a short time, and going back to a pro, I wound up getting another max this week. I’ve just been on the fence about it for months, wondering if I gave the Max enough of a shot, but not being willing to make the jump. But a few weeks ago, my daughter got a max, and my other daughter got a plus, and it made me realize how much my eyes love the larger phones.

I also got to thinking that this might be my only chance to get a max if they do indeed increase the size of it this year, so I made the jump.

I’m still getting used to it, but the pro is sold and gone, so there’s no going back now. I absolutely loved it when I had it, but was just scared I wouldn’t get used to the size. Now I have no choice but to get used to it. ;-p

Just done the opposite. Swapped to the regular 15 Pro from the 15 Pro Max.

Wife was happy to swap as I really have no preference either way.

Reactions: dms_91

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
I use VoiceOver, when the mini phones got announced a lot of blind people got excited because they can have a smaller screen because the screen size doesn't, for the most part anyway, do much for us. I went from a XR to a 12 mini that I later got a magsafe battery pack for, and now have a 15 pro. Only real benefit to the bigger phones has been the crazy battery life. I take my magsafe battery pack to work but find that I never have to use it, and I don't have to charge my phone halfway through the day anymore, which sometimes meant using it tethered to the charger.

I am curious though, everyone who gets a plus or pro max talks about how much easier things are to see on the bigger phones, but has anyone actually tried using the vision accessibility settings? Things like Zoom or the stuff under settings>accessibility>display and text size. Wouldn't those give you the best of both worlds; having a bit smaller phone with the regular 15/pro, but still being able to have the more readable text, or is a plus or Pro Max just that much better even with those options. I just feel like not enough people know about all the stuff Apple does for accessibility.

Thanks for this. I am on an iPhone 13 Pro Max and recently realised that I have to lift my phone closer to my eyes to read without squinting.

Somehow it just never cross my mind to enlarge the text on my phone. Lol.

Because of your post, I was reminded of this feature. Going into accessibility I was able to resize my text and now no longer have to squint.

Thank you.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
I was influenced by my own family. They (parents and sis) all have a Max. Sis & husband went from regular to Max and told me to just get the Max, don't bother with the regular. Honestly I am so used to the screen size, whenever I want to do something, the screen is perfect until I put it 'somewhere' to be carried. Unfortunately no purse, but whatever pocket is available. Case-less is great for the hands, but horrible risky for the pockets, it's fallen more than once, lost it twice and luckily could trace back my steps to find it. Of course that was never an issue with the smaller ones.... just real-life issues that I need to figure out with a max phone. :rolleyes:
Easy solution, replace it with the 15/15 Pro version.

• Haha
Reactions: Surfsalot

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
I used to have 11PM and now have a 13 Pro. My eyes are also getting older but what stops me going to the 15PM is the fact that I walk my dogs 3-5 miles a day and I remember fumbling with the larger phone especially one-handed.

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
I use duck duck go for my web browser most of the time. You can zoom the text to whatever size suits you. I have mine set pretty big on a 13 pro. Sentences are not as long, but it’s great for my eyes. I wish I could show you guys. Safari does not get as big.
Here we go, see it's pretty big text for a pro size.

Attachments

• 20240205_184414.jpg
    20240205_184414.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
After trying the 15 max for a short time, and going back to a pro, I wound up getting another max this week. I’ve just been on the fence about it for months, wondering if I gave the Max enough of a shot, but not being willing to make the jump. But a few weeks ago, my daughter got a max, and my other daughter got a plus, and it made me realize how much my eyes love the larger phones.

I also got to thinking that this might be my only chance to get a max if they do indeed increase the size of it this year, so I made the jump.

I’m still getting used to it, but the pro is sold and gone, so there’s no going back now. I absolutely loved it when I had it, but was just scared I wouldn’t get used to the size. Now I have no choice but to get used to it. ;-p

What about the weight? If I recalled correctly, you used to ponder about getting a lighter watch because the stainless steel model is heavy. Why not get the 15 Plus instead? The lighter phone might give you a sense of having a ‘smaller’ phone in the hands.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
What about the weight? If I recalled correctly, you used to ponder about getting a lighter watch because the stainless steel model is heavy. Why not get the 15 Plus instead? The lighter phone might give you a sense of having a ‘smaller’ phone in the hands.

I’m getting used to the weight. I considered the plus, but I’ve gotten so used to having the macro camera that I was afraid to give it up.

I have also been wearing my S8SS watch for almost a year and a half now, and I love it.

Brent0n

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2023
Thinking about going to the Pro from the Max.
I think I may get it so I can switch back and forth. I'm undecided.

• Haha

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I was tempted by the pro max when I got 15 Pro but the issues I had from before were still there I had to 2 hand the phone the majority of the time and muscle memory kept me with the regular 15 Pro. I just could not get to almost the entire screen on it so I just stuck with the Pro.

As it is in the regular and Pro series of phone that there is options for size for a good reason. My wife does not care for even the regular size phones so she is sticking to the 13 Mini as she likes to one hand her phone and she is a small gal.

TKSX

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2021
Went with a 12Pro for 6 months, and then got my wife a 13 pro max. When I put the 2 side by side, I like how easy (and viewable) the picture notifications are on the 13 pro max is so I ended up trading the 12 pro for a 13 pro max.

Yes, keeping the phone in the pocket can be a real challenge and at times I wish my phone is a bit smaller so it doesn't weight down the wind jacket's pocket.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I was tempted by the pro max when I got 15 Pro but the issues I had from before were still there I had to 2 hand the phone the majority of the time and muscle memory kept me with the regular 15 Pro. I just could not get to almost the entire screen on it so I just stuck with the Pro.

As it is in the regular and Pro series of phone that there is options for size for a good reason. My wife does not care for even the regular size phones so she is sticking to the 13 Mini as she likes to one hand her phone and she is a small gal.
mini is the only true one handed iPhone

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I’ll bet that this fall she goes back to a non-Max iPhone and extols the virtues of the lighter weight. That will be followed up shortly after by switching again to something else.

Lighter weight is absolutely a plus. I already knew that. Just have to see if having the other pluses outweigh the benefit of the lighter/smaller phone.

But the cool thing is, I have the option to try and use whatever I want, just like everyone else.

Last edited:

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
The 15 plus is actually larger & wider than the 15 Pro Max. Yes, max is heavier but easier to hold I found.

Reactions: Surfsalot

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I’m a few weeks in now, and even though I find the weight still noticeable, I am really enjoying having the max. I think for me it’s definitely a toss-up between having smaller and lighter vs larger and heavier but easier to use.

I realize the size/weight difference is likely a consideration for many, but maybe they don’t have crappy eyesight or struggle with typing on the smaller keyboard.

I can’t imagine going any larger though, so I‘m not sure which direction I will go if phones get bigger. My goal is to hang on to this one until at least the 17s since this will be my year to upgrade my watch.

Brent0n

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2023
I’m a few weeks in now, and even though I find the weight still noticeable, I am really enjoying having the max. I think for me it’s definitely a toss-up between having smaller and lighter vs larger and heavier but easier to use.

I realize the size/weight difference is likely a consideration for many, but maybe they don’t have crappy eyesight or struggle with typing on the smaller keyboard.

I can’t imagine going any larger though, so I‘m not sure which direction I will go if phones get bigger. My goal is to hang on to this one until at least the 17s since this will be my year to upgrade my watch.

You're keeping me on the promax… I have been going back-and-forth for the last few weeks about going back to a pro. I love my 15 promax but God at the gym and walking the dogs, the smaller phone would be nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.